April 8 Kiplinger Letter Report (extract)

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Q. "How soon before low-cost airlines become the major carriers?

A. Two or three years. That's when we're likely to see Southwest, and possibly JetBlue and AirTran, assume spots in the upper echelon. Which airlines are they likely to replace? US Airways, United and Delta.

Labor and other woes make them the shakiest of the current majors. Lack of pricing power is the airline industry's biggest problem.

That's a plus for budget-conscious travelers but an albatross for the carriers. Strong customer resistance and fierce competition will hold down airfares even as airlines see fuel and other costs mount."

After thinking about this, Kiplinger has it all wrong. The LCC's, internet booking, lack of pricing power, soaring fuel prices, Acela, new security costs, and stock market crash/rising bond prices are all part of management's plan.

See the Kiplinger letter works for Dave & Dave and the plan is being coordinated/executed by union give away artists.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Southwest is definitely a MAJOR carrier. I think when people say "major", they actually mean "international carrier".

Fly said:
Southwest is definitely a MAJOR carrier. I think when people say "major", they actually mean "international carrier".
That would mean Frontier, American Eagle, jetBlue, ATA and Airtran are all major carriers then, as each of them has flights to other countries.

USA320Pilot said:
After thinking about this, Kiplinger has it all wrong. The LCC's, internet booking, lack of pricing power, soaring fuel prices, Acela, new security costs, and stock market crash/rising bond prices are all part of management's plan.
No, but their failure to account for such things is part of their lack of job skill.

A major carrier is defined as any carrier that generates one billion dollars or more in revenue and provides service to medium size markets, major metropolitan destinations and international routes.

Source: Bardi and Novach "Transportation 5th" (2000)

USA320Pilot I thought you were kidnapped by the Easter Bunny? Kiplingers newsletter is old news that belongs in the loo.