Arbitration hearings

necigrad

Veteran
Aug 21, 2007
I'm curious to hear summaries of what types of grievances are going to arbitration. I want to hear from all workgroups. In keeping with the "one thread per workgroup" rule, please refrain from comments, just post a summary of the grievance. I find it interesting to hear of grievances that the Company refuses to resolve, and feel that it benefits all groups to hear what's out there. Please don't include terminations unless it's something directly CBA related, such as maybe a crew rest termination or something.

TO THE MODS: I believe this does not violate the intent of the rules, and if it does my apologies.

On the fleet side, we have two that I know off offhand. The first is medical insurance. Our CBA speels out the cost of medical insurance to the employee. The Company has chosen to change this without the Unions OK. The second one is the attendance policy. The Company has added an "attendance control policy", complete with discipline, that is not in our CBA, and penalizes us for using other CBA guaranteed rights.

IAM had a healthcare arbitration:

Brothers and Sisters,

An arbitration hearing was held the last week of January on the 29th. The hearing was in the matter of the change in Healthcare premiums and the formula in which US Airways will use to adjust these premiums. Representatives from District 141, Fleet Service, and District 142, Maintenance and Related and Maintenance Instructors, proceeded jointly in the hearing.

The hearing proceeded only as far as opening statements for both the Company and the Union. Arbitrator Richard Bloch requested that the groups enter into discussions in order that a mutual agreement might be facilitated prior to the continuation of the hearing. The Company and the Union were not able to reach that agreement and the hearing at this point will have to be continued.

The District will continue to update the membership as things progress.

Probably numerous termination ones in the pipeline.

CWA has had little luck lately.

OK, like what? Anything besides terminations?

And come on guys. What about the flight attendants (other then the West Section 6 issue)? Dispatchers? And if I can pull the pilots away from their bickering I'd love to hear from them too. I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that these groups don't have any contractual issues with the Company.

Section 6 negotiations is not arbitration, it is mediation, big difference.

I'm aware of that. I was guessing that someone would offer the Section 6 as something, so I mentioned it right off. I also find it incredibly shocking that none of these other workgroups have any arbitration cases they view as notable. These cases are a tremendous indication of what the Company thinks of their employees and the CBAs that govern that relationship.

Heard Fleet and Customer Service are going to arbitrate the 14 and 30 day language for discipline for the new attendance program. Seem cut and dry in the language of each CBA.

For the pilots, there are a few issues that I know of...

One is whether the company is exceeding the maximum number of large RJ's or not. Another is whether the company is violating the minimum number of block hours on the West side. Still another is over whether East pay returns to LOA 84 rates on Jan 1, 2010. There may be others.

Jim

I would imagine 2 out of 3 of those greviances are getting USAPA's full attention. The other has probably been misplaced, but should turn up, maybe when the cleaning woman comes by.

Thanks Dexter and BoeingBoy for keeping it going. I'm trying to get a good idea of what's going on, for no purpose other then knowledge. I think it's good to know what type of beast we're all fighting, and that no one workgroup is alone.

I would imagine 2 out of 3 of those greviances are getting USAPA's full attention. The other has probably been misplaced, but should turn up, maybe when the cleaning woman comes by.
luvn,
you could call the greviance rep and ask about the one that you suppose has been misplaced, or you could just ask your rep. Don't assume every thing is against you, not healthy.

Guys, please, as I said at the beginning, post only summaries and REFRAIN FORM OTHER COMMENTS. You have your own threads for that and will get this one, which I started to learn of the arbitration that are scattered all over all the individual threads, closed.

I'm informed that the RJ and block hours grievances are just awaiting the arbitrator's ruling. I also forgot the LOA 92 pay (insert snapback, restoration, end, or other word de jour here).

I'm sure that there are many more, but don't know specifics.

Jim

Thanks Dexter and BoeingBoy for keeping it going. I'm trying to get a good idea of what's going on, for no purpose other then knowledge. I think it's good to know what type of beast we're all fighting, and that no one workgroup is alone.

Necigrad, good idea to start this thread. Our respective union leadership should be sharing this information as well. I hope we can keep this thread going and that posts which take it in different directions will be removed.

Here's my summary on the pilot side (apologize in advance if not totally accurate):

1. We had a $30 million win on company 401K donations to pilots on disability. The grievance only affected former east pilots. As I understand, the company had set aside the money in a kind of IOU paper. The union demanded cash. Union won.

2. Wrongful termination case still in arbitration. Long and complicated. I wont comment on the issue because it immediately IDs the pilot.

3. Furlough out of seniority. Both east and west pilots participated in this. We thought we had a winner, but the arbitrator ruled against us. We lost.

4. Too many RJs being flown by the company back east, thus taking away main line positions. That one is still ongoing. The company has been dragging its feet on that one, too. Hopefully we'll have an answer in July. If I remember correct, a straight win on this means the company has to get rid of existing over-contract RJs. I think we're talking 17 over. Straight win would require company to recall all furloughed pilots.

5. Block hours reduced below the Transition Agreement thresholds. This one mainly affects West pilots. If we win, the company will have to recall. Its hard to zero in on the exact numbers that could be recalled. July or August answer for that one. If we win, we'll probably have to argue with the company on the exact percent they are below and how many pilots they have to recall. I'm not sure an arbitrator can force the company to add flights, only punish them for going below limits.

BB mentioned the LOA84 grievance. That was just presented to company and could take 6-8 months before we can go to arbitration. This is the one involving the January 1, 2010 cancellation of our pay concessions. I don't know if you can file a grievance before the company sticks it to you, but Parker and Kirby have both said they will not allow our pay to revent to pre-LOA93 rates.

I'll check with my sources on any others pending.

Necigrad, good idea to start this thread. Our respective union leadership should be sharing this information as well. I hope we can keep this thread going and that posts which take it in different directions will be removed.

Here's my summary on the pilot side (apologize in advance if not totally accurate):

1. We had a $30 million win on company 401K donations to pilots on disability. The grievance only affected former east pilots. As I understand, the company had set aside the money in a kind of IOU paper. The union demanded cash. Union won.

2. Wrongful termination case still in arbitration. Long and complicated. I wont comment on the issue because it immediately IDs the pilot.

3. Furlough out of seniority. Both east and west pilots participated in this. We thought we had a winner, but the arbitrator ruled against us. We lost.

4. Too many RJs being flown by the company back east, thus taking away main line positions. That one is still ongoing. The company has been dragging its feet on that one, too. Hopefully we'll have an answer in July. If I remember correct, a straight win on this means the company has to get rid of existing over-contract RJs. I think we're talking 17 over. Straight win would require company to recall all furloughed pilots.

5. Block hours reduced below the Transition Agreement thresholds. This one mainly affects West pilots. If we win, the company will have to recall. Its hard to zero in on the exact numbers that could be recalled. July or August answer for that one. If we win, we'll probably have to argue with the company on the exact percent they are below and how many pilots they have to recall. I'm not sure an arbitrator can force the company to add flights, only punish them for going below limits.

BB mentioned the LOA84 grievance. That was just presented to company and could take 6-8 months before we can go to arbitration. This is the one involving the January 1, 2010 cancellation of our pay concessions. I don't know if you can file a grievance before the company sticks it to you, but Parker and Kirby have both said they will not allow our pay to revent to pre-LOA93 rates.

I'll check with my sources on any others pending.
Would a recall of furloughed pilots also affect furloughed FAs? Personally I would think that would depend on if the company was forced to bring back the flights or not. Thoughts?