Are management layoffs based on merit or seniority?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/26/2002 5:38:49 AM Res wrote:

Does it very department to department? Does anyone know ?
----------------
My guess would be on merit.....they will want to retain the best of mgmt types....I would also assume that a 'package'of benefits and monies will be offered to those that walk.....and are vested in US.....

Why is it, that most union employees think that all management is overpaid ? The truth of the matter is that most lower to middle management make less then most union employees with the same seniority make.

I agree with the fact the most senior level managers, directors and VP's are the ones that are making the big bucks and getting the outrages perks. Those are the people that need to be cut.

But the truth of the matter is that most of the cuts will be in the lower to middle management range where the major of management's work get done and the package that will be given to these employees will be a slap in the face. Most will only 2 -6 weeks of severance pay.

Unfortunately the decision to retain or release manangement is based in my opinion on the good ole boy concept. Knowledge does not matter, its who you know.

I noticed to that some non union people think they are management when in fact they are just non union and are not management, but I guess it sounds good. I do agree that some do not make that much though. Hopefully all this carnage will end soon.

Rumor in INT was supervisors would be chosen by years of service...not by merit..how disappointing. Not to say that that we do not have wonderful supervisors with lots of years...we also have one or two junior ones that are exceptional.

[P]In res aren't we already on the short end when it comes to Supervisors? Not that I was all excited when they were everywhere(years ago), but now you can't find one when you really need one. CSD has to use a pager to reach the one on duty on the weekends. We may not all agree about the supervisors.....and there are some that are better than others, but the next step would be to completely eliminate the positions because there aren't very many left now. As far as management goes there are a lot of other places to look for cut backs. [/P]

I can't speak for any of the other departments or stations...but during the first cut-backs in CLT , we lost our Department Manager for no tangible reason beyond the fact that he was not part of the Mecca Crew that's controlled in PIT. Others are of the impression that his position was abolished due to the fact that he stuck up for our department by telling them that thier target figures for cuts , was going to hinder our ability to function on a 24/7 basis. Either way?, The cuts seem to be based on who's in favor with whom? That's the downside of being in a Management/MSP position in any company these days....but then again it's always been that way. What you do..or how you do it? is not always the end all factor in life. Sad but true!

They are based on the good ole boy system, who's in tight with who. As a past member of mgt, I was hit with the furloughs in the the first round after Sept 11. I saw many members of mgt stay that were in tight with upper mgt but did not do a thing to help the company, they were just hanging around waiting to get enough time in to retire.

I think A&P and AOG are right. Management reductions have always been based on Merit, and who you know has a direct effect on your Merit status. Same holds true for the target select interviews that were supposed to be objective. Please! It was another way to promote the good ol' boys.

Even after the cuts, a lot of the dead weight managers will still be hiding behind some influential muck-e-muck with thier brown nose.
7.gif']

Like AOG-N-IT, I can't really speak for other departments, but it looks to me as though the cuts and rearrangements in Inflight management (the flight attendants)have definitely been influenced by a good ol' boy network.....or in this case a good ol' girl network. Some of the most qualified people have been let go, while others have either been promoted or have been allowed to stay. Trust me on this.

does anyone know if this rumor i am hearing is true or not? heard that we are down to two regional managers, to cover all stations.....did this really happen?

I just recieved word that one was let go from the CLT Tooling Department..and the two remaining in that department will either have to relocate to PIT..or else!!

I have also got confirmation of at least 2 positions being abolished at the CLT Engine Shop as well...that's the latest news from the Logistics and Maintenance end.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/26/2002 10:27:41 AM gilbertguy wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/26/2002 5:38:49 AM Res wrote:

Does it very department to department? Does anyone know ?
----------------
My guess would be on merit.....they will want to retain the best of mgmt types....I would also assume that a 'package'of benefits and monies will be offered to those that walk.....and are vested in US.....
----------------
[/blockquote]

As a former MSP employee, that's the way it is. Who you know and sometimes who is paid the least. There seems to be a good amount of pressure to get the oldies out the door.

I did hear that Bruce and Dave have both been reassigned. Bruce is now the Catering Manager in PIT and Dave is now the Station Manager in DCA. No written confirmation, but that is the word from the street.

Any other senior management types let go or reassigned?