Armed Pilot Arrested For Intoxication

HPearlyretiree

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Armed Pilot Arrested for Intoxication
Thursday, January 13, 2005

LAS VEGAS — An armed AirTran Airways pilot was charged with operating an aircraft under the influence after a federal screener at McCarran International Airport smelled alcohol, authorities said Thursday.

Las Vegas police arrested Oliver Paul Reason Jr. (search), 37, in the cockpit of the AirTran plane shortly after he passed through an airport checkpoint Wednesday night, according to the Transportation Security Administration, police and the airline.

Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc. (search) issued a statement Thursday saying the airline followed its safety procedures to ensure the Atlanta-bound aircraft was held at the gate.

"The captain neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner," the airline said. It apologized to the 60 passengers inconvenienced by the canceled flight and said it is cooperating with authorities.

The pilot has been suspended from his duties as a federal flight deck officer, which had allowed him to carry the firearm, the TSA (search) said.

If the Federal Aviation Administration (search) finds that the pilot was intoxicated on the job, he will be barred from flying, FAA spokesman Donn Walker said.

The pilot, who has worked for AirTran since 1994, has been suspended indefinitely pending further investigation, airline spokesman Tad Hutcheson said. He added that police told airline officials that Reason had failed a Breathalyzer test.

Reason was being held Thursday at the Clark County jail. It was not immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.

After the terrorist hijackings on Sept. 11, 2001, pilots' unions lobbied for permission to carry guns in the cockpit. Federal lawmakers granted approval the next year.

Just another reason why pilots don't need to be armed. I had one walk out of the cockpit with the gun on him one day during the flight, not real smart having the gun on the outside of the cockpit during flight.

I know lots of pilots, lots of damned good ones, but I know a few that I would not trust with a gun.

This guy should be fired, but the union will protect him like the 2 from AWA that were drunk on the MIA-PHX flight that pushed back. :down:

HPearlyretiree said:
I know lots of pilots, lots of damned good ones, but I know a few that I would not trust with a gun.

This guy should be fired, but the union will protect him like the 2 from AWA that were drunk on the MIA-PHX flight that pushed back. :down:
[post="239056"][/post]​

Pardon me, but the two at HP were fired. In fact, one of them has a spouse who is also a HP employee and he cannot even travel on her benefits.

"Fly Air Tran And Guess How Many Drunk 30 Something Pilots Are Flying You Today With A Loaded Gun" - "Thats right Bob now tell the winners what they get for the correct answer. You bet Bob - The lucky winner wins a trip on America West Airlines know for its LUSHious cockpits and warm destinations and then can connect onto Air Tran for an upchucking fun ride."

- I lost a fmily member to drunk driving. Drunk flying, there is in no way, and no how, ever any excuse for this type of murderous behavior.

HP FA, I know they aren't flying, I hope they never fly again.

Didn't know he can't non rev on his wife's id, I used to know his wife way back in the old days. Good to see AWA standing firm on this. :up:

I thought Air Tran was still contracting most of their long haul flights to Ryan. Are they actually flying this route yet?

Airtran stopped contracting out to Ryan in the late fall of 2004. The Airtran colored Busses have found a home somewhere else.

Not good news for Airtran, better get some good Spin Doctor's too clean up the mess before it get's out of control.