Article re. PIT-LAX

So what's your point? Are you agreeing with the reporter and the customer or are you agreeing with your company that it's better to reduce more service out of PIT?

S'plain it me to Lucy?

So what's your point? Are you agreeing with the reporter and the customer or are you agreeing with your company that it's better to reduce more service out of PIT?

S'plain it me to Lucy?

So what is your point? I'm posting a link to an article. Read it and draw your own conclusions.

Must be feeling pretty good about yourself that you can start the business with someone this early on a sunday morning. Well I think you are the stuff being squeezed out of that chihuahua in my avatar. What do ya think of them apples?

So what is your point? I'm posting a link to an article. Read it and draw your own conclusions.

Must be feeling pretty good about yourself that you can start the business with someone this early on a sunday morning. Well I think you are the stuff being squeezed out of that chihuahua in my avatar. What do ya think of them apples?

As I say all the time, this is what the traveling public wanted. They wanted to pay $119.00 for a ticket to LAX (it costs more than that to park your car at the airport for a week). So in order to sustain profitability at that price, the airline adjusts its schedules to maximize revenue. If the public would pay pre 1994 airline fares it would not be this way. BTW, I'm not taking sides, just stating facts. I would love to see this business the way it was years ago, but that again would take a changing mind set and a willingness to pay.

Oh honey. I'm not about to start a pi$$ and b1tch session with you.

You posted the article and you're the one that posted the frowning emoticon.

My conclusion is .......ready.....here it comes.....US will continue to diminish direct service out of PIT. Plain and simple. You can't get there from here unless you connect has become the norm when flying out of PIT. I'm used to it. Do I like it? He11 no. But I've become quite creative in my travel planning. Whether I'm on US or another airline.

It's a game and I've learned to play it well. Obviously the customer in the article hasn't learned since he only flies 3 times a month to LAX. Fly every week all over the country like I do, then you can complain to a post-gazette reporter that there are less and less direct flights out of PIT.

Otherwise, the reporter and that customer can K!SS my big FAT hairy A$$.

And as for the 2nd to last sentence in your reply. If you don't comprehend "sarcasm" I suggest you look in that rag the dog is taking a SH!T on. Then you'll know where I'm coming from.

Just a note of correction:

The first sentence of the article states: "For Gil Hanna, an Upper St. Clair business traveler who takes an average of three trips a month to Los Angeles, time makes all the difference".

It also said he has platinum status. How's he only got PLT if he's racking up 12k miles/month to/from LAX?

The article states, more or less, that the company is reallocating the aircraft to a market where it can make a profit during the Winter.

I'm sorry this one guy is inconvenienced. But airlines are not charities or not-for-profit organizations. It makes business sense to reallocate aircraft seasonally, and US (and others) have been doing that for years. For once, I'll agree with the Sand Castle and say 'good job' for maximizing revenue.

Lighten up, Pittsburgh. Sorry you got de-hubbed. In fact, I started with US in PIT many moons ago and wish it were still the US mecca it once was. I was there recently for business, and it was sad to see an empty US concourse in that beautiful airport.

But $ talks, and unfortunately, PIT doesn't generate enough of it.

The article states, more or less, that the company is reallocating the aircraft to a market where it can make a profit during the Winter.

I'm sorry this one guy is inconvenienced. But airlines are not charities or not-for-profit organizations. It makes business sense to reallocate aircraft seasonally, and US (and others) have been doing that for years. For once, I'll agree with the Sand Castle and say 'good job' for maximizing revenue.

Lighten up, Pittsburgh. Sorry you got de-hubbed. In fact, I started with US in PIT many moons ago and wish it were still the US mecca it once was. I was there recently for business, and it was sad to see an empty US concourse in that beautiful airport.

But $ talks, and unfortunately, PIT doesn't generate enough of it.
I wish LAX was still the PSA mecca it once was. Times change.

This guy does not understand how an airline can cancel a flight that was "almost to capacity" at most times...Cracks me up how many people say this.... :rolleyes:

This guy does not understand how an airline can cancel a flight that was "almost to capacity" at most times...Cracks me up how many people say this.... :rolleyes:
Yea, amazing that they will fly many less then capacity flights out of other cities then claim they make money to justify their existence.....

Face it US marketing people suck.....

Well they are very talented when it comes to insulting theer high yield Trans-Atlantic Customers in Print.
The only thing these airline managers care about are POWER and MONEY, and it seems that both are very abundant at that level.....

Gawd I wish we had LAX-PIT nonstop. Too much family in PIT, getting there is a b1tch, do not know how the commuters do it. Used to be many nonstops SAN-PIT those are pretty much gone too.....pain in the ass!

Sounds like a good opportunity for WN to step in....
Actually, WN only has 2 daily non-stops each from PHL and BWI to LAX. PHL is primarily O&D for this route and I would assume BWI is more connecting. WN considers these Premier routes which require and produce high yields in both directions because they limit aircraft utilization - not typical WN strategy. So I think WN would only do PIT-LAX if the flights were forecasted to be consistently full in both directions. Add to that, the lack of a broad FF program and it could become difficult to attract sufficient business traffic on a PIT-LAX non-stop. Many business FFs would probably prefer a 1 stop if it was the only thing available on a Program affiliated airline than flying non-stop on WN. It would be interesting though if WN gave it a try, since unlike the Legacies, they don't appear to cut and run from a route as soon as yields slow down.

Add to that, the lack of a broad FF program and it could become difficult to attract sufficient business traffic on a PIT-LAX non-stop. Many business FFs would probably prefer a 1 stop if it was the only thing available on a Program affiliated airline than flying non-stop on WN.

Yeah, that lack of a broad FF program sure stops the 7 or 8 PIT-PHL flights from kicking the teeth in of the legacy carrier with a hub and a focus city on either end. Same thing with the PIT-PHX and PIT-LAS routes. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Only the Flyertalk crowd (and/or a time/price difference) is going to book a one stop where a nonstop is available. Even I don't do it anymore, but I can usually only get to CLT, ATL, EWR, DTW, and CVG "nonstop."

If WN brought in a morning PIT-LAX and an LAX-PIT leaving at any time but redeye time, it would be a winner. Run two each way, and they'd chase US off the route.