Aspiring Pilot

wiksta

Oct 29, 2008
Hi guys! Im new to this form. I want to get my PPL starting December and then all the way to my commercial. I am a current student at UCF, University of Central Florida. Im a Junior and a business major. I want to pursue flying as a career or at the least something business related that deals with aviation. I would by far rather to fly as a career, the business thing would be a fallback. I found a flight school at Orlando Executive. Its called AIr Orlando Aviation, anyone ever heard of them or go there? It looks like the best school around. My questions are:

1. Has anyone attended Air Orlando Aviation or been there and have an opinion of it?
2. What are the methods i can use to pay for school? Its hard to find a good loan for 30 grand!
3. Are there any scholarships or grants i can apply for? (I have looked and i have found some but none pertain to me).
4. What are some jobs i could land after i get my commercial license?
5. For anyone who has taken loans out to pay for your commercial license.....Is is worth it? Were you able to land a job and pay them off? Do you regret it or love every minute of it?

I really appreciate your advise and help. I can wait to start flying!!

Just remember. Flying is nice. We're in the same journey. But you need to be smart about it. Don't be afraid to find areas to save money, because you won't be using that nice ADS-B or GPS in that brand new Cessna Skyhawk when you start your training (leave that for IFR, that will come many hours later).

There are many loans for your flight training. Each flight school has their best option, and many have information packets and applications for you to peruse while you are getting everything established.

As far as jobs after getting your commercial, there are all sorts of jobs. Aerial photography, charter, instruction (when you have your CFI certificate), just about any way that you can use an airplane and get paid for it. But the big bucks start rolling in after you get your ATP, and are flying jets for a large carrier (regional jets don't count...you don't get much pay there).

I, personally, have paid my training out of pocket (both flying and my degree from ERAU). However, as far as flying is concerned, I do wish that I did apply for a couple of loans, but I believe that it's not worth getting your license if you'll end up in debt to your eyeballs. And just about any commercial pilot will tell you that. Be smart about it. I'm also working on a degree from ERAU (extended campus). As much as I would have loved going to a residential campus, I would have to be repaying my student loans until retirement (I know one captain for a regional airline, only a few years older than me--I'm 22--, with $150,000 worth of student loans he's paying back). Remember, study up on ALL of your options, and think it through. Flying is rewarding. Not having to worry about how you're going to pay it back (or the amount that you'll actually be saving) is just as rewarding, and will make your flying that much better.

Blue Skies and Tailwinds on your endeavours!