Associate's vs Bachelor's degree

weswing04

Jul 23, 2008
Hello everyone,

My name is Wes and I currently live in Oklahoma. I earned my A&P license in March of 2006 and have worked at a flight school on smaller aircraft (Cessna, Beech) since then.
I am attending college and I am curious as to which road to choose.
I am moving to a new town for a new job and school. I will be working part time for now. I do not know if I should go for a bachelor's degree (Management is my current focus) and be done in 3 years or; go for an associate's degree (Management still) and be done in about one year.

I want to eventually get my bachelor's, but getting the associate's soon and getting a better job (more money!), while slowly working on my bachelor's in the evenings sounds very tempting.

I know I do not want to turn wrenches my whole life, but I do not want a sit down all the time office job either. When starting out, is a bachelor's THAT much better than an associate's? Would I benefit from getting the associate's first and slowly working on my bachelor's?

I appreciate any responses, and I hope I made some sense in my long post. :)

Let me break this to you very gently. STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET YOUR BACHELORS DEGREE. THEN SIGN UP FOR SOME MORE EDUMICATION AND GET A MASTERS DEGREE IN BASKET WEAVING AND TEAR UP YOUR A\P TICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. As far as turning wrenches with a degree its a waste of money and time. NOBODY CARES IF YOU HAVE A DEGREE. They look at heavy aircraft experience and nothing more. If you had planed on working for one of the six major airlines forget about it. You will NOT get a job. All the majors have not hired in 8 or more years, however their commuters have but it is impossible to transfer because there are thousands still laid off. They must be recalled before they can hire or transfer. Its going to be at least another 10 years before the hire of the street. Yes there is going to be a huge shortage of mechanics in about 10 to fifteen years. Try UPS or FEDEX. The only way to get heavy aircraft experience is to work for low wages at an FBO. If you do you will be stuck there permanently. The large aircraft aviation industry has imploded from within since 9/11. There is a fatal syndrome associated with airline mechanics. Its called AIDS or AVIATION INDUCED DIVORCE SYNDROME. It takes 20 plus years of seniority to get off the night shift which means you will never see your kids in a school function, never take a vacation with them in the summer, never have a close relationship with them or your wife. The emotional pain is unbearable. I have been in this industry since the old PAN AM days. If I knew what I know now I would been a computer software, electrical, or mechanical engineer.

Listen to these guys Wes.

I have a bachelor's degree and I turn wrenches for a living but it is by choice not by neccessity.

It falls under the category of better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I work with people with less academically who I always learn from and who, I think, are a lot smarter than me but when it comes to promotions and job hunts, I fare better.

STAY IN SCHOOL and get a B.S. or more. You won't find a more convenient time to do it when you are older.

Hello everyone,

My name is Wes and I currently live in Oklahoma. I earned my A&P license in March of 2006 and have worked at a flight school on smaller aircraft (Cessna, Beech) since then.
I am attending college and I am curious as to which road to choose.
I am moving to a new town for a new job and school. I will be working part time for now. I do not know if I should go for a bachelor's degree (Management is my current focus) and be done in 3 years or; go for an associate's degree (Management still) and be done in about one year.

I want to eventually get my bachelor's, but getting the associate's soon and getting a better job (more money!), while slowly working on my bachelor's in the evenings sounds very tempting.

I know I do not want to turn wrenches my whole life, but I do not want a sit down all the time office job either. When starting out, is a bachelor's THAT much better than an associate's? Would I benefit from getting the associate's first and slowly working on my bachelor's?

I appreciate any responses, and I hope I made some sense in my long post. :)

BEST ROUTE TO TAKE....go to community colleg in your area....get your Associates Degree first, and then transfer that degree to a state school. Almost all the Universities who get funding from PHEAA accept all credits from the associates degree depending on your major.

It is the fastest and cheapest route in todays out-of-control tution environment.

I did that route for my nursing degree and am currently in my second year pursing a Doctorat for nurse practitioner.