Astar Emergency AD

Nomex

Advanced
Mar 10, 2003
anyone out there hear what the latest is with the AD TC put out on Astar servo problems and specifically with the restriction on no training flights with hydraulics off - any mods etc planned to address this??

Lets pretend for a moment;

every Astar pilot in Canada PPC ran out June 1st
the fires start a blazing
the mining industry takes off over another big find
seismic work is none stop in
the Delta

> Who''s going to fly the A/C ?

The way I see it, if you can''t perform an Emergency that is listed in the Flight Manual during training, then you don''t qualify for PPC requirements.
The company I work for just trained 2 young guys on the Astar and 2 days after thinking they had 350 endorsements, TC called to say NO WAY > you didn''t complete all the training requirements!

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

When you''re busy pretending about all the Astars and pilots suddenly becoming unavailable ....don''t forget that the Canadian Heli industry is flush with excess aircraft these days, Perhaps those needy Fire Fighters, Miners, and Seismic folks will have to switch to 500''s, 206''s, Mediums, etc, etc. It may surprise you, but in those long ago pre-Astar years, these old aircraft did handle all the business of Canada!
I get your initial point...but until EC has a fix for the HYD system in 350''s, these problems will continue.
TC doesn''t think along your lines on how important the fleet is to Industry, etc, if they perceive a problem, they issue and AD.

Checked the website 407d, AD is listed and yes it is 2003-15, but no link to the AD - i have the AD and agree with ur comments and also agree that type endorsements nor ppc''s can be carried out with the AD as it stands.

i guess that from the lack of replies, no one has heard what if anything EC will be doing about it

MagSeal - any input/insight on what EC may be doing to address this??

tx

I''m glad you guys think I''m far enough up the ladder to know anything. The fact is I''m not. But rest assured, they (EC''s people) know the future of the company will be decided by the changes to past, present, and future helicopter designs. They can''t walk away from the older designs, even though Eurocopter didn''t design them, that was all Aerospatiale. When companies morph and change thru the years, they inherit the liability associated with those aquisitions. I can bet anything you want that they won''t let this slide, Eurocopter is poised to be the leader in the helicopter world, (and I know that''ll piss off the supporters of the other manufacturers), but the reality is when a problem exists, and a solution will be found.

Move over Palladina...MAGSEAL for Pres !...Oh right, My old buddy Palladina has moved over.....waaay over

Well said Maggie, Of course they will get on it, this is just a bit of a black eye, and I''m sure that they will fix it soon.

"Poised"??? Are you guys really "poised" to be the leaders? Cool, and good luck

To stir up the Bell / EC war in here, you only have to post something as simple as "Good Morning"
9.gif

thanks for the feedback & I didn''t mean to stir up the EC/Bell war!! just wanted to be sure I didn''t miss some fix that has been arrived at....will await further developments

war? there''s no war...

It''s a friendly discussion right?

We all have respect for each other, even though we don''t see eye to eye on some subjects.

Mag, I thought someone of your vintage would at least be familiar with the cold-cycle, tip-driven Djinn, certified and manufactured by Sud-Ouest Aviation, one of the predecessors of Aerospatiale and, accepting at face value your premise about taking on the liability of your predecessor(s), assumed you''d be good for Djinn support. I take it this is a non-starter, then?

ok, i''m following you now. I was a bit slow off the start, (as all of my past pilots and fellows workers can attest to).
Sorry. I feel ashamed of myself.

Just a note to all young children out there...don''t mix your medications with alcohol.