ATA and WN rumor ....

wwtraveler99

Jan 31, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Been hearing rumors of WN buying ATA. ATA has said they would like to shed their passenger division. So if that is true it sound like a possibility.

Has anyone heard anything about this.

Any comments on the subject?

I think it is a good idea. Take over the Hawaii routes. Get international service to Costa Rica, Guadalajara, Guatemala and Cancun. Get rid of the 757's. Take future options of the -800 from Boeing in future years.

I think although it is a small deal it seems to look good.

Been hearing rumors of WN buying ATA. ATA has said they would like to shed their passenger division. So if that is true it sound like a possibility.

Has anyone heard anything about this.

Any comments on the subject?

I think it is a good idea. Take over the Hawaii routes. Get international service to Costa Rica, Guadalajara, Guatemala and Cancun. Get rid of the 757's. Take future options of the -800 from Boeing in future years.

I think although it is a small deal it seems to look good.

I too hope it is true.
If it happens, wonder if Herb would keep operating MDW-DFW?
Believe that is the only remaining ATA scheduled domestic, non-Hawai'i route.

On the AA board, (I know, NO one over here likes AA, so it's no big deal to us) !
But,
On the AA board, there is "talk" of................."YOU ALL BETTER BE SITTING DOWN", of AA + WN :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now NO one would put that up(over there), even in jest,..............Unless...(Gulp), there was "some" degree of possibility.

Dropping names(like Southwest and American for a moment), and substituting Airline A + B, are there physical possibilities ?....YES !

(We're Not talking Culture possibilities)

Two companies W/HDQ's down the street from each other.

Two companies with "737"s

And two companies "loaded" with the TWU !

I'm having some difficulty comprehending it myself,..............But,...............in this SCREWY world of commercial aviation, plus Merger Mania(my friends) ANYTHING is possible !!!!

On the AA board, (I know, NO one over here likes AA, so it's no big deal to us) !
But,
On the AA board, there is "talk" of................."YOU ALL BETTER BE SITTING DOWN", of AA + WN :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now NO one would put that up(over there), even in jest,..............Unless...(Gulp), there was "some" degree of possibility.

Dropping names(like Southwest and American for a moment), and substituting Airline A + B, are there physical possibilities ?....YES !

(We're Not talking Culture possibilities)

Two companies W/HDQ's down the street from each other.

Two companies with "737"s

And two companies "loaded" with the TWU !

I'm having some difficulty comprehending it myself,..............But,...............in this SCREWY world of commercial aviation, plus Merger Mania(my friends) ANYTHING is possible !!!!

Personally, I think AA will combine with USAir.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I must disagree "chucky".

US brings nothing to AA's table, except one China route, and the Shuttle
And I must disagree with you on that one. What about PHL & CLT? We all know that to date AA has not been able to secure a Southeastern Hub to compete with DL in ATL. While RDU was an attempt to do just that and to compete with CLT also, it failed big-time.

And I must disagree with you on that one. What about PHL & CLT? We all know that to date AA has not been able to secure a Southeastern Hub to compete with DL in ATL. While RDU was an attempt to do just that and to compete with CLT also, it failed big-time.
Yeah, and a hub at Nashville has been closed twice. AA has managed to survive despite a "southeastern" hub. And, why would we need a hub at PHL when we have LGA, JFK, and EWR?

Yeah, and a hub at Nashville has been closed twice. AA has managed to survive despite a "southeastern" hub. And, why would we need a hub at PHL when we have LGA, JFK, and EWR?
I'm not saying that AA needs it to survive, but they sure would like to have one in that area. If they didn't want to have a Hub in that part of the Country, they wouldn't have made an attempt with RDU. While JFK may be considered somewhat of a Hub for AA, EWR & LGA are not even close. You could combine everything that AA has out of all 3 NY area Airports, and it won't come close to the size of the PHL operation. PHL has many issues, but it makes money with it's large O&D traffic. I doubt that PHL is pulling any traffic away from the NY area Airports. There are enough people in the NYC and PHL areas to support large operations at each of them.

Didn't WN pretty much save ATA? And I thought ATA and World megered? I heard from a senior capt. flying for ATA, that WN is planning on codesharing and expanding the International market out of BWI. Any thoughts, or word from WN?

Latest posts