Atlantic Coast Says United May Be Involved In Mesa

Todd B

Advanced
Jan 11, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Thursday October 23, 12:59 pm ET
By Erik Ahlberg, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

CHICAGO (Dow Jones)--Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc. believes that UAL Corp.'s United Airlines may be playing a behind-the-scenes role in Mesa Air Group Inc. (NasdaqNM:MESA - News)'s proposed buyout offer.

See Story

Very interesting for him to make this allegation. The funny thing is that he even states that it is purely conjecture on his part, so it is a wonder the article was even published. However, it would be beneficial to UAL if Mesa were able to take over ACA. I don't necessarily think it is because they don't want the competition out of IAD, like Kerry Skeen states in the article, but I think it would be because they would be able to maintain all of the current infrastructure that they have at IAD and ORD with the terms of the contract they have already negotiated with Mesa.

If anyone from UAL has anything to do with this idea, it was something that was come up with on a golf course or country club somewhere, and not something that has a paper trail that can be proven.

Just my thoughts, but I would actually like to see this takeover go through. I think it would help UAL.

The perception is that UAL is behind MESA's hostile takeover attempt of ACA. MESA wants to expand but can't finance new jets. United needs MESA to expand but has nowhere to park the jets at Dulles. United thus backs MESA into a takeover of ACA - problems solved (for everybody but the ACA employees).

As an employee of ACA, I want nothing to do with either MESA or UAL. The takeover might help MESA and UAL but it would end the careers of just about everybody at ACA - thus we will fight tooth and nail to stop it.

46Driver,
You are absolutely correct. You want nothing to do with Mesa or Jonathan Ornstien. He is an evil man. I worked in the office under him at COEX. All he knows is cut,cut,cut. He does not know how to run an airline over the long haul. BOBO