Australia Refuses Singapore's Access

Open Skies only applies to the airlines of those two countries. Australia and the USA can have all the open skies they want but this doesn't apply to Singapore Air. SIA's rights would probably be limited to one daily atleast the first few years.

5 years from now, the world has 100 777-200LR's with Qantas, AA, UA and Continental all flying from Aussie to the USA, may be then SIA can fly all it wants to Los Angeles. Because the 777-200LR's will fly nonstop to DFW, JFK, ORD and EWR. LAX won't be the exclusive gateway it is today. The world is going point to point and the A380 will not replace 747-400 on a one for one basis. Qantas will fly nonstop from LHR to Sydney and eventually to LHR from SYD, as always the 777-200LR will become more efficient or improve a few years from now. Nonstop Sydney to JFK is only a few years away, This will happen before George Bush leaves office.

Whom would have thought another airline from India would fly internationally, but Jet Airways has, the world is changing and 2 engines are flying 10,000 miles, now only if SIA would ditch the A345 and get with the LR program.

JFK777 said:
Open Skies only applies to the airlines of those two countries.  Australia and the USA can have all the open skies they want but this doesn't apply to Singapore Air.  SIA's rights would probably be limited to one daily atleast the first few years. 

5 years from now, the world has 100 777-200LR's with Qantas, AA, UA and Continental all flying from Aussie to the USA, may be then SIA can fly all it wants to Los Angeles.  Because the 777-200LR's will fly nonstop to DFW, JFK, ORD and EWR.  LAX won't be the exclusive gateway it is today.    The world is going point to point and the A380 will not replace 747-400 on a one for one basis.  Qantas will fly nonstop from LHR to Sydney and eventually to LHR from SYD, as always the 777-200LR will become more efficient or improve a few years from now.  Nonstop Sydney to JFK is only a few years away, This will happen before George Bush leaves office. 

Whom would have thought another airline from India would fly internationally, but Jet Airways has, the world is changing and 2 engines are flying 10,000 miles, now only if SIA would ditch the A345 and get with the LR program.
[post="277529"][/post]​

IT will be interesting to see how badly ETOPS regs will affect the 777LR for service to Australia. IF at all.  I know when UA went to a 777 for AKL, they had some pretty bad weight restrictions for the return leg due to ETOPS fuel requirements that must be carried for the last segment Hawaii - mainland.  We are talking tens of thousands (10,000+) of pounds extra as I recall.

So while yes the aircraft can fly the miles from SYD- DFW/JFK it may not be able to within the current regulations for minimum fuel requirements unless there are lots of pax and cargo left behind. 

Just food for thought.

DC
[/quote]

Fly northeast from Sydney to DFW, ORD and JFK would take an airplane just north of New Zealand toward Tahiti and then Mexico. From Jfk to Mexico City is about 2000 miles so we are only talking the same Pacific flown now by the LAX to SYD and MEL route. Conceptually it seems vast but there are no less places to stop in the South Pacific then going from North America to Japan, a well traveled 777 route these days. All of AA's and CAL's routes to Tokyo are 777's.

Winglet said:
Screw Singapore. They're a tiny little parasitic police state that wants to horn in on other people's countries while providing nothing in return.
[post="277350"][/post]​

Hmmmm....any wonder where the term "Ugly American" comes from?

Segue,

I don't dissagree about Singapore being a "police state". The market however likes Singapore Air and people flying throught Singapore( LHR to Australia) would rather fly them then say BA or Qantas. Enough fly SIA on the kangaroo route to give BA and QF heartburn. On the Transpacific flying them to HKG and NRT from the USA is always a nice option since the Northwest and UA just stink, I know you understand how great SIA is even if you dislike the countries politics.

JFK777 said:
Segue,
I don't dissagree about Singapore being a "police state". The market however likes Singapore Air and people flying throught Singapore( LHR to Australia) would rather fly them then say BA or Qantas. Enough fly SIA on the kangaroo route to give BA and QF heartburn. On the Transpacific flying them to HKG and NRT from the USA is always a nice option since the Northwest and UA just stink, I know you understand how great SIA is even if you dislike the countries politics.
[post="277975"][/post]​

JFK777- Do you work for an U.S. airline? AA perhaps? Maybe if AA fired you at 35 and hired younger workers to replace you you might feel slightly different about SIA. Being STATE owned with STATE resources might help as well. Yeah SIA has it going on alright...maybe you ought to go work there.

JFK777 said:
Segue,
[post="277975"][/post]​

I gotta agree with NXNW on this one. A bunch of clueless wonders who do better at eyecandy than anything else subjugating themselves for you. does it make you feel like a big man? Then when they are actually needed (after a accident involving multiple fatalities), they were on the crew bus leaving the scene while other passengers were evacuating the injured. :rolleyes:

Emirates/Cathay/ are other prime examples. Berate American carriers if you want...but I'd like to see you go over there and work and expect to have "job protection" like those U.S. carriers whose service you claim "stinks". I am sure SIA/ Cathay they would give you a cold hard wake-up call.

Temasek Holdings
owns and manages the Singapore Government's direct investments.
Category (Conrols 56% of Singapore Air)

(employment app.)APPLICATION DETAILS
If you fit our requirements and are interested to apply, please download this application form, fill it up and email this along with a covering letter and a recent full-length photograph of yourself

Part C
NATIONALITY,
RACE, MARITAL
STATUS, BIRTH
AND HEIGHT

JFK777 said:
Fly northeast from Sydney to DFW, ORD and JFK would take an airplane just north of New Zealand toward Tahiti and then Mexico. From Jfk to Mexico City is about 2000 miles so we are only talking the same Pacific flown now by the LAX to SYD and MEL route. Conceptually it seems vast but there are no less places to stop in the South Pacific then going from North America to Japan, a well traveled 777 route these days. All of AA's and CAL's routes to Tokyo are 777's.
[post="277633"][/post]​

Problem is you run out of time (even 207 minute ETOPS! of which very few routes are allowed to do) between PPT (Papeet) and Mexico. While not guarrenteed for accuracy...its close

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=syd-ord...TYLE=&ETOPS=180

So to stay with ETOPs range you still ahve to go north closer to Hawaii or way south toward South America and then up towrds North America.

DC

PS If that link doesnt work just go to: http://gc.kls2.com/
and type in departure and destination. Youc an also specify how many etops minutes you want.

UALDC737 said:
Problem is you run out of time (even 207 minute ETOPS! of which very few routes are allowed to do) between PPT (Papeet) and Mexico. While not guarrenteed for accuracy...its close

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=syd-ord...TYLE=&ETOPS=180

So to stay with ETOPs range you still have to go north closer to Hawaii or way south toward South America and then up towards North America.

DC

PS If that link doesnt work just go to: http://gc.kls2.com/
and type in departure and destination. You can also specify how many etops minutes you want.
[post="278032"][/post]​

And to add one other thing....just because there are airports on the map, doesn't mean they can be legally used as an ETOPS alternate. Weather, ground services available, etc are all factored in. This happens every day, be it across the Pacific or Atlantic.

DC

Segue,

If I am paying an expensive fare to Asia I'm taking the best, SIA, Cathay or Jal are often that. If NW is so worried about American jobs then why does it have so many Airbus aircraft? They got a better deal on them. SIA and other Asian airlines buy Boeing as well as Airbus but I live in an international world where sometimes I buy from Foreign providers. I have never worked for an airline but will say AA is the most forceful US airline protecting our interests. SIA buys plenty of Boeing( 777-300ER cuurently on order). Yes they have A380's too, but given the markets they fly to, large congested airports all over the world, that is what they need. When I flown SIA some pilts have been American, so not everyone at SIA is from Singapore or Asia. SIA is an airline flying people between two places often that aren't called Singapore. Most of that competition is they effect are from the UK in the Europe to Asia. They have a respectable Transpacific presence but just a fraction of UA or NW and about the same as AA's in routes and frequency. If airlines jobs are your concern then I can appreciate your opinion but jobs at Boeing, GE and others are my concern too.

Latest posts

Back