Aw F/a Union Getting Ready For A Possible Merger

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
this is a message from afa to aw f/a"s

Last Friday, AWA management released a short statement confirming that they are merger talks with U S Airways. We continue to monitor that situation and we have conducted some preliminary preparations in case a merger is announced. We have secured a U S Airways flight attendant seniority list and the NT has received a contract comparison summary from the AFA International Office. That is the extent of our preparations so far and we will monitor any new events and will keep you informed.

interesting to note. hp f/a start off at 15.41 an hr if i am reading their compensation chart correctly. so either we at airways are gonna take a paycut or they at hp are getting a pay raise. i will have to assume that we at airways are taking a paycut.

Dont think we have much to worry about---I have no fear the unions of this company will screw this up even if it makes great business sense----I used to have a deep disrespect for Uncle Ed C-- however in the last couple of years watching ALPA and other unions make complete fools of us all I see now Uncle Ed didnt have a chance of making the best airline he could with the type of contracts he had to work with. We have some outstanding employees here---time will tell. Of course this is only my opinion.

Here's the comparison that I made up off the web sites of both AWA and US. The biggest difference seems to be 10th year and less.

USA AWA
1st year 18.56 16.18
2nd Year 19.63 17.54
3rd Year 20.88 18.76
4th year 21.47 21.24
5th Year 24.33 22.30
6th Year 29.91 23.20
7th Year 31.52 24.47
8th Year 32.30 26.31
9th Year 33.35 28.23
10th Year 34.41 30.24
11th Year 35.17 34.74
12th Year 36.00 35.72
13th year 36.79 36.67
14 + Yrs. 37.59 37.59

Well, since there are practically no active f/as left at U with less than 11 years, the pay rates should not be a problem! Just have to make sure that no furloughed U flight attendants with less than 11 years are ever recalled.

(Now, don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm being facetious.)

jimntx said:
Well, since there are practically no active f/as left at U with less than 11 years, the pay rates should not be a problem! Just have to make sure that no furloughed U flight attendants with less than 11 years are ever recalled.

[post="266318"][/post]​

jimntx, there's a bunch I know. Lots of 1997, 1998, 1999 DOH flying around.

jimntx said:
Then why are people with 11 or 12 years saying that they are back on straight reserve? That ain't right!
[post="266333"][/post]​

Depending on your base assignment. PIT, CLT is reserve @ 11 years for sure. I am not to sure what it is in Philly.

The most junior active at mainline is late 1999 seniority. 42 just returned from MAA or furough May 1st.

I believe reserve is at 17 years in CLT right now. The most junior is LGA where early 99 holds a secondary block.

PhillyFlyGuy said:
Depending on your base assignment. PIT, CLT is reserve @ 11 years for sure. I am not to sure what it is in Philly.
[post="266337"][/post]​

PHL for the month of April had RSV up to 1989. For May, I believe its 1993. PIT is 1987 RSV and CLT is 1989.

jimntx said:

[post="266318"][/post]​
There are flight attendants with 6 years active. According to our union, since there are flight attendants at AWA junior to our most junior furloughed flight attendant, they must be called back and possibly furlough AWA more junior flight attendants if that is necessary. If US get rid of more A/C in the meantime and they must furlough, if the merger is final in two years......then ANY US flight attendant senior to someone at AWA MUST be brought back on the property.