AWA ALPA MEC Communications Committee Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
AWA ALPA MEC Communications Committee Update – May 9, 2006

To: All AWA Pilots

Today, more than 100 uniformed pilots from both the east and the west attended the Company’s employee town hall meeting at corporate headquarters. We were a noted presence not only from Doug Parker but also from other employees and the news media. Led by MEC Chairman JR Baker, all pilots in attendance stood in support of our Joint Negotiating Committee’s efforts as they continue negotiations for a single agreement.

In a prepared statement, MEC Chairman Baker clearly stated our views of how we expect the negotiations to be conducted.

The following is the text of that statement:

Mr. Parker:

We share your vision of a great future for the employees of the New US Airways, and we are encouraged when you stated you want this merger to be the model for the industry in terms of labor relations. However, for that vision to be realized we must insist that you recognize the sacrifices made by both pilot groups and that you come to the table with a realistic philosophy, ready to roll your sleeves up and get to work.

From the beginning of our negotiations, the company has stated that without achieving their desired contract through joint agreement, they will impose the East contract on both pilot groups. This concessionary approach to negotiations fails to recognize that our pilots will be moving forward with the airline. Instead, they will be left behind with a contract that was negotiated in the worst of times. We recognize that the company needs productivity but we must share in the rewards of that productivity. As Southwest has successful proven productivity does not equally costly work rules. We must work together to truly merge an operation where all employees benefit and are protected.

Mr. Parker, please do not under estimate the resolve of this pilot group. We will not allow our work rules or financial stability to be reduced. Instead, we expect to move forward and share in the success of this airline. We will not fund this merger through gives backs and we will not ratify a sub -standard contract.

Speaking respectfully, I have a question for you.

Given your earnings announcement indicating that this company is off to a flying start, and is doing better than expected on all fronts, is it reasonable for management to ask us, the pilots of the New Us airways to begin our negations for a joint contract from a concessionary position?

Thank you for listening.

Mr. Parker reiterated the company line that the net cost of the combined agreements must be cost neutral. He also indicated that he believed he had the ability to impose the East work rules on the combined pilot group (a position that the MEC vehemently disagrees with), but that he would prefer to negotiate an agreement that was acceptable to all involved.

This MEC’s message remains unmistakably clear:

We will not subsidize this merger. We expect management to recognize our investments as we move forward to create the new US Airways.

Thank you to all our pilots who have supported our Union by participating in today’s SPC activities.

Great to hear the AWA side of the pilot group start out and state that they will not subsidize or be treated to substandard wages. I am happy to hear that you will remain faithful to your membership. Its a tough road but at the end of the day you will be able to teach our East side the Art Of Negotiating...............

Piney Blah, Blah, Blah, you poor little child . Who said Jerry Glass was POWERFUL you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do not underestimate the West ..... Stay out of there way you are a SPOILER

What do you expect for the pilots?... to roll over? Let them place their cards on the table. I do not underestimate Jerry Glass but don't just think we all have to take our toys and RUN AWAY.I have a respect for Jerry Glass but I left my sacrificial lamb in the pasture............Jury out

He was not talking to you. Jerry Glass is the Hiroshima of Union Busters. Well I am not proud of that but any man that is great at what he does even Hitler thought he had a purpose.

Here's the low down:

Jerry Glass really low balled the scheduling section of the new contract they are working on. Basically worst than what they have now.

Someone on the committee leaked this to the pilot group.

Some pilots say that the Alpa MEC is weak/Jerry Glass is playing them.

Alpa goes on offensive, wants bite of apple press release to media.

Alpa tries to show strength at State of the Airline, pilots in uniform, statement by JR to Doug.

They are trying to regain control by 1)instilling confidence in the MEC by being aggressive with the company 2)Displaying to media that things are not alright at merger.

Which leads to... drum roll please... Alpa is trying to effect stock price which will get Dougs attention. If it works maybe Doug will yank the leash on Jerry Glass.

Great to hear the AWA side of the pilot group start out and state that they will not subsidize or be treated to substandard wages. I am happy to hear that you will remain faithful to your membership. Its a tough road but at the end of the day you will be able to teach our East side the Art Of Negotiating...............
it is too bad that the members of the pilot group can not teach the CSR group this art of negotiating....

I was there at the State of The Airline address when the pilots group addressed DP. I'll have to say I was impressed by their show of professionalism and solidarity. That's the kind of representation I'm all for, not the name calling and other low blow tactics other unions have used in the past.

Hey haven't seen you in a while. I've been an "Interested Observer" to several Labor Negotiations I've seen various & sundry "Hired Gun" labor attorneys come in and usually destroy a company.

But Jerry Glass is like the Neutron Bomb in that he "Kills" unions and workers while leaving the company intact.

Welcome back Dilligas.

Jezz, Piney. Based on your posting up to now, I would have to say that your knowledge of negotiations is basically on the level of the cry-baby pilots, the (as one pilot told me) give-away-gang, the GAG.

They will avoid any confrontation, their ability (well admired by me) is to come up with the most creative excuse to avoid such.

Jerry Glass puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like you and me. While smarter than the last seven years of ALPA negotiators (excluding Doug Mowery) does not make him something to be feared, at all. He has vulnerabilities, just check google. The fact that ALPA did not engage him is certainly no comment on his abilities and most certainly a comment on ALPA's lack of abilities.

and, show me a person who "Kills" unions and workers while leaving the "company" intact? One example, please. I'd like to see your example of one dead worker in an "intact" company.

You really need to go to California to smoke that stuff.......

The best thing about this merger is that the pilot group will finally get some balls back, thanks to the West group. A lot of East guys have had it with the pussies that permeate in the current East pilot group...and I think you all know one of the biggest pussies posts regularly on here.

That was a great presenation by the ALPA MECP from the West. Hopefully he will follow through with that same fervor and resolve.

Mr. Baker is right. These are not concessionary times, specifically and obviously not for senior management. Doug Parker sounds like the East senior managment did. We heard that line many times " company would "impose". He gets that from Jerry G.

I cannot emphasize enough that Labor needs to be unified in getting Ford and Harrison away from the negotiating tables. Labor should insist on it. Jerry is still there. Throw him out. He's poison for any progress in fair negotiations.

You just had to throw in a dig didn't you? You've clearly never dealt with Jerry Glass who is now behind the scenes in Tempe.

Time will tell and I hope ALL workgroups get treated as fairly as possible but the infighting will kill the company and your future with it.

Bob,

So what do you suggest...Labor give in again???? What is the excuse now? Agreed, that the EAST MEC should stop infighting and the only way to do that is for the pilots to throw out those MEC members that continually comply with the company's agenda.

You just had to throw in a dig didn't you? You've clearly never dealt with Jerry Glass who is now behind the scenes in Tempe.

Time will tell and I hope ALL workgroups get treated as fairly as possible but the infighting will kill the company and your future with it.

The Pilots and Mechanics and possibly Flt Attn. at awa have both had to deal with that looser Jerry Glass. He was run out of awa by our groups!

Latest posts