Awa And Usairways....

umech

Sep 19, 2003
or who had the upper hand in the deal if any of you guys know.
please state your info based on facts like; financial news, news articles, internet sites etc.etc

what happened to the guy from alabama?
why is it that AWA is the largest share holder of the new usairways?
why is it that the usairways name was kept?
why is it that the new usairways ceo was the awa ceo?
why was the usairways corporate moved to tempe az?
why was the usairways group headquaters moved to tempe az?
was it a merger or an aquisition by awa?
is it still usairways or is it a new company ?
the ticker used to be UAIRQ when usairways was based in crystal palace VA. now it was changed to LCC and is based in tempe AZ.
any help will be appreciated

thank you all

umech

Answer:

AWA is the surviving carrier and they took US Airways as a name because it is known Internationally. The investors were attracted to the East network and sunk money because of the synergy between AWA network and U's along with the lowest labor costs of all the legacies.

It is AWA managment, AWA CEO, AWA controlling Board, AWA corporate policies and they call the shots with the East operation. My opinion...Old U did not survive this bk. Only plan in town was a group of investors that were convinced that AWA and U had good synergy and the old U managment got paid off. The LCC is the new company. Its reality and no one in upper management wants to depress anymore U-East folks then they already are. I just don't walk around deluding myself to what has occured.

Bronner wrote off his investment and lost the $240 million of RSA investment.

U-East operation is still downsizing for the next 2 years as more of the operation moves to Tempe.

No one from management will tell you this. In fact, no management will come on this board anymore because they are no longer here. Jerry Glass is back with his consulting firm, Ford and Harrison. He won't even tell anyone where else he is consulting besides for Doug Parker on the ALPA and AFA intergration provisions.

They are all back out there again implementing this same "plan" for the other legacies. This is the environment ripe for them to make their money.

Answer:

AWA is the surviving carrier and they took US Airways as a name because it is known Internationally. The investors were attracted to the East network and sunk money because of the synergy between AWA network and U's along with the lowest labor costs of all the legacies.

It is AWA managment, AWA CEO, AWA controlling Board, AWA corporate policies and they call the shots with the East operation. My opinion...Old U did not survive this bk. Only plan in town was a group of investors that were convinced that AWA and U had good synergy and the old U managment got paid off. The LCC is the new company. Its reality and no one in upper management wants to depress anymore U-East folks then they already are. I just don't walk around deluding myself to what has occured.

Bronner wrote off his investment and lost the $240 million of RSA investment.

U-East operation is still downsizing for the next 2 years as more of the operation moves to Tempe.

No one from management will tell you this. In fact, no management will come on this board anymore because they are no longer here. Jerry Glass is back with his consulting firm, Ford and Harrison. He won't even tell anyone where else he is consulting besides for Doug Parker on the ALPA and AFA intergration provisions.

They are all back out there again implementing this same "plan" for the other legacies. This is the environment ripe for them to make their money.

It really doesn't matter who bought who any longer. Though America West seem to be making a lot of the moves, it is clear that AWA is the controlling entity here. I was in Philly recently and got a sense that US employees have indeed been through mergers in the past, where US Airways was the dominant party in those mergers. In this scenario with US/HP, even though from the US side there is a lot of "we've been through this before", there is also some discomfort with a new unknown destiny unlike other mergers. This merger is indeed different to US employees, because we are seeing Tempe become the headquarters, mostly former AWA senior management and middle management begin to take hold..from Phoenix/Tempe. Policies and Procedures are more shared than before and in some cases leaning toward what Americ West has done, which is big change for US. The Quik system has been implemented on the ground and will continue to grow, this is a big change for ground agents and the pass policy is yet to be seen. What struck me is that HP employees thought they were facing the "big changes" and were fearful and had anxiety. I believe the US employees truly do feel a sense of uncertainty and a lot of change in culture and change from over 40 years of doing things a certain way. Whats my point??? My point is, regardless of who bought who...all employees in this situation are going through tremendous change...some we will latch onto, some we will resist, some we think are ridiculous..but the bottom line is...we are all affected this and one way is not necessarily better than the other way....but we have to make the most of it and realize that everyone is learning, changing, and hopefully adjusting through the coming months and years ahead to create a competitive international carrier that can stay in business and prosper. I was also under the impression that US employees are excited about the future or at least excited about remaining employed, as should HP employees be excited. Personally..'im excited for employees of both groups. I look at US Airways employees and am happy that they survived this last close call and happy for HP because they have an entire new extension of the company that they can gain so much insight and knowledge from the experienced people in the East. No matter which carrier a person works for, there is still is something about this business that keeps us hooked, we love it and we hate it too...but we stay!!

It really doesn't matter who bought who any longer. Though America West seem to be making a lot of the moves, it is clear that AWA is the controlling entity here. I was in Philly recently and got a sense that US employees have indeed been through mergers in the past, where US Airways was the dominant party in those mergers. In this scenario with US/HP, even though from the US side there is a lot of "we've been through this before", there is also some discomfort with a new unknown destiny unlike other mergers. This merger is indeed different to US employees, because we are seeing Tempe become the headquarters, mostly former AWA senior management and middle management begin to take hold..from Phoenix/Tempe. Policies and Procedures are more shared than before and in some cases leaning toward what Americ West has done, which is big change for US. The Quik system has been implemented on the ground and will continue to grow, this is a big change for ground agents and the pass policy is yet to be seen. What struck me is that HP employees thought they were facing the "big changes" and were fearful and had anxiety. I believe the US employees truly do feel a sense of uncertainty and a lot of change in culture and change from over 40 years of doing things a certain way. Whats my point??? My point is, regardless of who bought who...all employees in this situation are going through tremendous change...some we will latch onto, some we will resist, some we think are ridiculous..but the bottom line is...we are all affected this and one way is not necessarily better than the other way....but we have to make the most of it and realize that everyone is learning, changing, and hopefully adjusting through the coming months and years ahead to create a competitive international carrier that can stay in business and prosper. I was also under the impression that US employees are excited about the future or at least excited about remaining employed, as should HP employees be excited. Personally..'im excited for employees of both groups. I look at US Airways employees and am happy that they survived this last close call and happy for HP because they have an entire new extension of the company that they can gain so much insight and knowledge from the experienced people in the East. No matter which carrier a person works for, there is still is something about this business that keeps us hooked, we love it and we hate it too...but we stay!!
Great Post Thank you For Speaking LIFE,into these Posts, MWWalker

It's an F'd up world. Then again, should we be surprised? Wall Street loves it when management Robin Hoods go in and slay labor. Like Teddy said, Joe Public is catching on and remember the old saying: "Today's majority is tomorrow's minority." The backlash from all this will be huge.

The arrogant ones will repeat over and over "it doesn't matter who bought who" while their superior intelligence adds one and one to get three.

WHATEVER~
The info is on the web for anyone really wanting to know.
It is a done deal. It IS a merger. Who the #%^% cares?
Enough already!

"They are all back out there again implementing this same "plan" for the other legacies. This is the environment ripe for them to make their money."

This is correct. The deal was in the making years ago, with most movement at US being incorporated in 94/95. Implementing salary reductions, retirements, ETB etc all to bring us in line with AWA for the merger. All to prove it could be done. And for the investors to take the gamble and catapult US into the leading position, eating into the pie that southwest controlled. I believe we are not finished yet with merging this company. Those boys want to be the biggest LCC in the #1 position. If we do merge again that will change the total environment of who bought whom. We will all be excited about the new machine we are a part of. Watch and see. Just a hunch.

Back in the day it was always said there would eventually be three main carriers-granted they included the big legacy carriers back then. What a prediction-the players changed

The "deal" is not done yet. You should care what the outcome will be. You should be involved in asking questions. I agree with the prediction of a long time ago will hold true for the future. There will be only three major airlines, well I agree there will be fewer airlines. Some how I have a feeling that Europe will be getting more involved with the business here also. :)

Why do you want to know? And, it really doesn't matter now because it's a done deal.

I can see that the "deal" is done for you. It's not "a done deal" for everyone.
:)

or who had the upper hand in the deal if any of you guys know.
please state your info based on facts like; financial news, news articles, internet sites etc.etc

what happened to the guy from alabama?
why is it that AWA is the largest share holder of the new usairways?
why is it that the usairways name was kept?
why is it that the new usairways ceo was the awa ceo?
why was the usairways corporate moved to tempe az?
why was the usairways group headquaters moved to tempe az?
was it a merger or an aquisition by awa?
is it still usairways or is it a new company ?
the ticker used to be UAIRQ when usairways was based in crystal palace VA. now it was changed to LCC and is based in tempe AZ.
any help will be appreciated

thank you all

umech

Don't look to the news or internet for the facts! Go to the SEC or BK filings. They are the only facts that matter. The rest is hear-say. The End