Awa Frequent Fliers Get More Options

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Airlines' Merger Could Benefit Frequent Fliers

By Keith L. Alexander

Tuesday, April 26, 2005; Page E01

If America West and US Airways merge and create a large low-cost carrier, the deal could be a victory for frequent fliers.

The new airline could present travelers with one of the largest and far-reaching frequent flier programs of any budget carrier, including Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran. It could even have a program that rivals those of some of the largest international carriers, including American, United and Delta Air Lines.

America West's frequent fliers would gain access to US Airways' routes to the Caribbean and numerous East Coast cities. US Airways' business travelers would get opportunities to fly on America West's routes to Mexico and the West Coast.

America West's frequent fliers have the most to gain from a union. Travelers on the merged airline would be able to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on United Airlines, US Airways' code-share partner. US Airways also brings with it access to 15 other foreign airlines through its participation in the Star Alliance network. America West customers could redeem frequent flier miles and use the exclusive airport clubs of such foreign carriers as Asiana Airlines, Scandinavian, Air New Zealand and others.

In the current environment, airlines often match each other's prices and schedules, so the perks of the individual frequent flier clubs often sway business travelers deciding between carriers, said Tim Winship, editor and publisher of Frequentflier.com.

"Business travelers tend to be more invested in frequent flier programs than leisure travelers. This is often the choice between flying Southwest and another major airline," Winship said.

But after a merger, frequent fliers may not see enough of one benefit they crave: upgrades to first class. In their push to cut costs, both carriers have cut back on their use of multi-class, large aircraft and have added single-class regional jets. Competition could be stiff among America West's 4 million or so frequent fliers and US Airways' 5 million frequent fliers for a smaller number of first-class upgrades or free trips.

If a merger occurs, the new airline is expected to fly under the US Airways name, which has broader national recognition than America West. But, to be sure, it is still unclear whether the carriers will unite or come to any agreement at all. Several financial and regulatory hurdles exist. Negotiations could lead to a much less complex relationship involving just a code-share alliance.

Code shares have become common as carriers seek ways to expand their operations without taking on the challenges that come with a complete merger. US Airways and United entered into their code-share agreement in 2002, a year after the government rejected their merger attempt. The relationship allows travelers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on the partnered carriers.

With hub airports in Phoenix and Las Vegas, America West has a larger percentage of leisure travelers than US Airways, which caters primarily to business travelers flying along the East Coast.

With its strong presence in Las Vegas, America West has one of the largest relationships with hotels in the airline industry. The airline has 57 hotel partners offering frequent flier miles for stays, whereas US Airways has 44. America West also has six of the largest car rental agencies as partners. US Airways has four.

But Randy Petersen, publisher of Inside Flyer, said the biggest advantage US Airways' frequent fliers would get from a merger would be peace of mind. The airline has been plunged into bankruptcy twice in the past two years, raising questions not only about the future of the airline but of frequent flier's accounts.

"These two airlines would do well together, and it's good for members in both programs. But those US Airways frequent fliers would finally be able to stop worrying about the future of their miles," Petersen said.

:up:

Well alright - But I really use HP for the FlightFund Elite FREE upgrades based on Elite status. Do we pay for upgrades with US? Or does US give upgrades to its elite travelers complimentary based on the status of the FF activity?

Please advise.........

Thanks - An HP FlightFund Elite Gold Member

AA191 said:
Well alright - But I really use HP for the FlightFund Elite FREE upgrades based on Elite status. Do we pay for upgrades with US? Or does US give upgrades to its elite travelers complimentary based on the status of the FF activity?

Please advise.........

Thanks - An HP FlightFund Elite Gold Member
[post="264982"][/post]​

Elites in US Dividend Miles get FREE upgrades just like Elites in FlightFund.

check out the website for exact details

http://usairways.com/dividendmiles/preferredlevels/index.htm

AA191 said:
trvl64

Thanks - That was great information.  I feel much bettr about this now.
[post="265046"][/post]​
With all due respect, it is not about you. It is about the employees of both airlines. Will they maintain their jobs, current salaries, and remain in their hometowns or be shipped out to PHX or DCA? Although both airlines appreciate frequent fliers, the last thing to worry about at this point is YOUR free upgrades! I am glad you feel better now. How about what the employees are feeling right now?

Twicebaked - Having been ousted during an airline merger several years ago to only be let go when USAfrica Airways stopped flying in 1994, I understand your concern. Luckily enough, I love aviation as much as you do and now run a flight department for a corporate aviatoin provider of aircraft from the Gulfstream 550 and Global Express down to as low as the Lear 35A. The money is much better on this side of the fence - why not try to come over to corporate aviation? A good place to learn more about corporate aviation is with the National Business Aviation Association www.nbaa.org

Why would anyone want to see someone loose their job or be shipped off to another location unvoluntarily (I had to do that once while working for UA)? I wish you the best no matter which airline you work for. However, I said forget the moves and uncertanity and go to a stable aviation environment so I am on the corporate side now. Perhaps, you might want to strongly consider this line of aviation work in the future. Lots of operators in the PHX/SDL/DVT and the IAD/BWI area.

I admit, from a selfish reason, that I am interestd in the upgrades and you are right - peoples lives will be altered by this pending new relationship. I cannot control that, but I can control which airline I send my staff members onto and its those tickets that are bought that keep HP and US along with the rest of the industry flying (except for GE of course!)

Hang in there - it is going to be a wild ride.

Twicebaked said:
With all due respect, it is not about you. It is about the employees of both airlines. Will they maintain their jobs, current salaries, and remain in their hometowns or be shipped out to PHX or DCA? Although both airlines appreciate frequent fliers, the last thing to worry about at this point is YOUR free upgrades! I am glad you feel better now. How about what the employees are feeling right now?
[post="265129"][/post]​

Actually it is all about the customers. No customers = no job.

TomBascom said:
Actually it is all about the customers. No customers = no job.
[post="265268"][/post]​

But the point is that people's lives, and whether they have a job is always more important than whether or not someone sits in a larger seat on an airplane. Yes, customers keep the airline alive (barely), but it's hard to swallow when a customer says something along the lines of "I hope the airline doesn't go under, I've got xxx miles." You just look at them like, hello, do you realize I WORK here?

Latest posts