Awa Post Strong 2q Profit

insp89 said:
With all due respect, A little thing called -Fuel Hedging-is the difference between a loss or a profit last quarter...
[post="284754"][/post]​
CO doesn't have fuel hedging in place, yet they made a profit. UA hedged some fuel, yet lost over 1B in the qtr. So by your statement AWA should have lost money, correct? :shock: Hedging may be one of the parameters in the equation, but it alone doesn't determine the profit or loss during any period.

insp89 said:
:down:"Talk about being negative"......
[post="285429"][/post]​
I'm being neither negative nor positive. Just observing the results of the vast majority of airline mergers out there. Especially when one of the merger partners are on death's door.

insp89 said:
With all due respect, A little thing called -Fuel Hedging-is the difference between a loss or a profit last quarter...
[post="284754"][/post]​
What kind of hedge do you think you could buy right now? Do you think anyone out there is willing to offer $35/bbl fuel hedges? Folks who do this are speculators, not idiots. Given the recent history of oil prices, hedges may not be worth the capital they tie up. ( Although HP uses "cashless collars" which cost less, but also provide less protection).

Bear96 said:
I'm being neither negative nor positive. Just observing the results of the vast majority of airline mergers out there. Especially when one of the merger partners are on death's door.
[post="285453"][/post]​
Which "partner" are you talking about, Mr. Negative?

luvn737s said:
What kind of hedge do you think you could buy right now? Do you think anyone out there is willing to offer $35/bbl fuel hedges? Folks who do this are speculators, not idiots. Given the recent history of oil prices, hedges may not be worth the capital they tie up. ( Although HP uses "cashless collars" which cost less, but also provide less protection).
[post="285493"][/post]​
Who mentioned anything about buying hedges "right now" ??
The situation the airline industry is in today is primarily due to fuel hedging [by Southwest] that was put into place a year or two ago...

Borescope said:
CO doesn't have fuel hedging in place, yet they made a profit. UA hedged some fuel, yet lost over 1B in the qtr. So by your statement AWA should have lost money, correct? :shock: Hedging may be one of the parameters in the equation, but it alone doesn't determine the profit or loss during any period.
[post="285443"][/post]​
Borescope states : " So by your statement AWA should have lost money, correct ? :shock:

Borescope, You are aware that AWA did in fact hedge some fuel last quarter, Right? :blink:

insp89 said:
Which "partner" are you talking about, Mr. Negative?
[post="285863"][/post]​
I won't name it but its initial is "U."

Where do you think U would be right now had the merger never been announced?

(I know; it would have taken over the world by now and been hugely profitable, right?)

insp89 said:
Who mentioned anything about buying hedges "right now" ??
The situation the airline industry is in today is primarily due to fuel hedging [by Southwest] that was put into place a year or two ago...
[post="285866"][/post]​

Even longer than a year or two ago. Three years ago, WN said it was hedged for most of 2002 and 2003 fuel needs; by January 2003, WN said it was hedged for most of 2003 and 2004 fuel needs:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...1558&highlight= (July 2002)

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...1622&highlight= (Jan 2003)

Fuel hedging, as you correctly point out, is not something you can do once fuel gets very expensive - it must be done in advance, and WN planned in advance.

Bear96 said:
I won't name it but its initial is "U."

Where do you think U would be right now had the merger never been announced?

(I know; it would have taken over the world by now and been hugely profitable, right?)
[post="285874"][/post]​
"U" is in better shape [due to the bankrupcy process ] than at least a couple other airlines that are on the verge of bankrupcy..

All "U" has ever needed is "competent" management.

Hopefully, bringing "U" and America West together will result into a very successful airline...

Seems that the success of these 2 airlines does not sit well with you...Too Bad...

FWAAA said:
Even longer than a year or two ago. Three years ago, WN said it was hedged for most of 2002 and 2003 fuel needs; by January 2003, WN said it was hedged for most of 2003 and 2004 fuel needs:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...1558&highlight= (July 2002)

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...1622&highlight= (Jan 2003)

Fuel hedging, as you correctly point out, is not something you can do once fuel gets very expensive - it must be done in advance, and WN planned in advance.
[post="285893"][/post]​
FWAAA, Thank You for the Information !

insp89 said:
"U" is in better shape [due to the bankrupcy process ] than at least a couple other airlines that are on the verge of bankrupcy..

All "U" has ever needed is "competent" management.

Hopefully, bringing "U" and America West together will result into a very successful airline...

Seems that the success of these 2 airlines does not sit well with you...Too Bad...
[post="286113"][/post]​
Doesn't make any difference to me. I have no vested interest in any particular airline anymore. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

airlinedivalish said:
Why be negative? In order to be successful, you have to think success. Thinking negative surely doesn't help. It just drains your energy.
[post="284985"][/post]​
airlinedivalish, You're right, Why be negative ?

Bear96 said:
Doesn't make any difference to me. I have no vested interest in any particular airline anymore. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.
[post="286134"][/post]​

Then go spread your negativity on someone else's board! B)