BA Creates New Carrier "Open Skies Airlines"

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
LONDON (Dow Jones) -- British Airways Plc, Europe's third-largest airline, on Wednesday announced the launch of a new service between Continental Europe and the U.S. in a move to capture business customers on two lucrative routes.

The new subsidiary, called OpenSkies in reference to the agreement that made it possible, will start in June with just two Boeing 757s. The jets, which will carry up to 82 passengers, will operate daily from New York to either Brussels or Paris, British Airways said in a statement.

The airline eventually plans to operate six 757s by the end of 2009, all of which will be sourced from its current fleet.

The business cabin will feature British Airways' well-known lie-flat seats.

"This is an exciting new venture for us and we're confident that it will be a great success as we build on the strength of British Airways' brand in the U.S. and Europe," Chief Executive Willie Walsh said.

Robert Cullemore, an analyst with U.K.-based aerospace consultancy Aviation Economics, said the move represents its first attempt to leverage its operational expertise and the experience it has gained from years of transatlantic operations out of the U.K.

"It's also a competitive reaction to the entry of Air France and possibly others on Heathrow-U.S. routes in the spring," he added.

The Brussels-New York route is currently served by Continental Airlines (CAL), American Airlines (AMR) and Delta Air Lines (DAL).

Aviation Economics' Cullemore said that on this route British Airways will be looking to appeal to the higher end of the market with its lie-flat beds, which its American competitors are just beginning to roll out.

The Paris-New York route is served by the same airlines plus Air France (AKH) and the relatively new all-business airline L'Avion. Cullemore said BA's main target on this well-served route would likely be L'Avion and forecast that the British airline would likely leverage its well-known brand try to draw in American customers on the route.

Naming a service after a pact

The new British Airways service was made possible by the "open-skies" agreement signed between the U.S. and Europe last year. Starting this spring, the pact will allow European airlines to fly from anywhere in the European Union to any point in the U.S. without restriction on pricing and capacity, and vice versa.

"By naming the airline OpenSkies, we're celebrating the first major step in 60 years towards a liberalized U.S/E.U. aviation market," Walsh said. "It also signals our determination to lobby for further liberalization in this market when talks between the E.U. and U.S. take place later this year."

BA originally opposed the pact and urged the U.K. to veto it, saying the pact favored the U.S., especially as it wouldn't let E.U. carriers access the domestic U.S. market.

The agreement also threatened British Airways' dominance on some very lucrative transatlantic routes. At the time the deal was signed, ABN Amro analysts warned that an influx of competitors at London's Heathrow airport could "drive a collapse in U.S. route profitability" for BA.

Under current rules only four carriers -- United Airlines (UAUA), American Airlines, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic -- are allowed to fly routes between the U.S. and Heathrow, which is the world's busiest airport for international passengers, and the third-busiest overall, behind Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson and Chicago O'Hare.

But rival carriers have rapidly stated their determination to take advantage of "open skies."

Both Ireland's Aer Lingus Group and the U.S.'s Continental have already announced their intention to fly new routes.

Last year, Air France and Delta Air Lines Inc. unveiled plans for a joint venture that will see them share costs and revenue on transatlantic routes.

The venture will start in April, just when the "open-skies" agreement is due to come into force. The airlines estimate annual revenue of $1.5 billion in its first phase and $8 billion in its second phase.

Willie Walsh is an astute airline manager.

(wonder what he could've accomplished with Tilton's millions....)

This is a good move for BA. They've watched Lufty and Privatair grab lucrative market share from EWR-DUS and took notes.

Very interesting that the last five rows will be economy. Good incremental revenue and also give the masses a taste of the good life in case they're ever inclined to upgrade.

Thanks for the post. But this thread, like all other foreign threads, will go nowhere on this board.

These posters only know about domestic things.

The new subsidiary, called OpenSkies in reference to the agreement that made it possible, will start in June with just two Boeing 757s. The jets, which will carry up to 82 passengers, will operate daily from New York to either Brussels or Paris, British Airways said in a statement.

Surely this is a typo. 82 passengers on a 757? Those ticket prices need to be in the stratosphere to make that pay.

Surely this is a typo. 82 passengers on a 757?
Apparently it'll only have 5 rows of economy and the rest will be split about 50-50 between business with lie-flat seats and "Premium Economy". Sort of a spin on the "all luxury" services currently offered.

Jim

Willie Walsh is an astute airline manager.

Agree. But I'm not sure he would have fit into the UAL culture very well...

This is a good move for BA. They've watched Lufty and Privatair grab lucrative market share from EWR-DUS and took notes.

It's also throwing down the gauntlet a bit at L'Avion (Air France's version of Privatair) and LH in advance of LHR opening up, i.e. if you even think of running LHR-US services, we'll be in your best markets to steal your top passengers...

Very interesting that the last five rows will be economy. Good incremental revenue and also give the masses a taste of the good life in case they're ever inclined to upgrade.

They've taken a much more practical approach than L'Avion, Privatair, Eos and Silverjet. Having the three classes gives them a lot more seats to spread their costs over.

i.e. if you even think of running LHR-US services, we'll be in your best markets to steal your top passengers...

Not necessarily. AA has taken it's share of bad press as of late regarding the deteriorating condition of it's aircraft interiors. Arpey himself even admitted that the airline hadn't been focused on caring for it's aircraft.

Regardless of price or schedule, comfort and cleanliness gets my business every time. When customers have to start making their air travel purchasing decisions based on whether or not an airline cleans it's planes and/or repairs the interior as soon as needed, then that is the airline creating new problems for itself.

This was one of the things AA had to surrender for depeaking - dirty planes. Because of depeaking, there was no time between turn-arounds to clean an aircraft well. Now, the planes are lucky to get their trash emptied. Broken seats that have been taped off is a seat representing lost revenue. And seriously, AA is the only carrier where I have gone on board the aircraft and found seats that are taped off and "out of service" for whatever reason. These hub cities should have plenty of extra seats somewhere that can be slapped in when needed. It would certainly be more cost effective than not selling the seat, or having to invol a customer and paying them and issuing a refund along with a voucher for future travel!

You simply can't rely on apples/oranges up against a new airline with a new and clean fleet vs. a legacy with an aging fleet that features tattered carpet, worn out seats, duct tape holding ceiling panels in place and not to mention the . . . . aroma!

No, I don't think BA in any of it's forms has any qualms about going up against AA in any of their trans-atlantic markets.

You might want to take off your blinders once in a while and actually read what's written....

By chosing NYC-PAR for OpenSkies, BA is sending a warning shot at LH or AF to stay away from launching service to the US from LHR, which they're free to do starting in April.

By chosing NYC-PAR for OpenSkies, BA is sending a warning shot at LH or AF to stay away from launching service to the US from LHR, which they're free to do starting in April.

....and of course, I suppose you think they will stop at NYC-PAR. BA/Open Skies will take business right out from under AA, the bottom dollar couldn't care less, OneWorld be damned!

No, they won't stop there -- they're going to do some cherry picking. But shite happens. Personally, I've flown AA internationally quite a bit in the past 18 months, and have yet to experience anything remotely close to what you describe. It makes some great theater, but me thinks you exaggerate more than just a bit when it comes to the widebody international fleet.

It may take some business away from AA, but DL and CO stand to lose more, since they have the huge NYC presence. Heck, I might as well enroll in BA's FF program, since it is going to accrue mileage on OpenSkies. They won't belong to oneworld from what I'm hearing, but that doesn't mean there won't be codewhoring...

Surely this is a typo. 82 passengers on a 757?
Not a typo.

According to BusinessWeek:
Each OpenSkies plane will include 24 business-class seats that convert into six-foot long flat beds, and 28 “premium economyâ€￾ (is that a non sequitur, like military intelligence?) seats with 52-inch seat pitch and 30 economy seats. So in sum, no more than 82 passengers on each flight. Wow.

No, they won't stop there -- they're going to do some cherry picking. But shite happens. Personally, I've flown AA internationally quite a bit in the past 18 months, and have yet to experience anything remotely close to what you describe. It makes some great theater, but me thinks you exaggerate more than just a bit when it comes to the widebody international fleet.

It may take some business away from AA, but DL and CO stand to lose more, since they have the huge NYC presence. Heck, I might as well enroll in BA's FF program, since it is going to accrue mileage on OpenSkies. They won't belong to oneworld from what I'm hearing, but that doesn't mean there won't be codewhoring...

I only know what I've had to deal with...
...The IFE systems are constantly breaking down on the LHR birds and the Contractors, when available, either don't know how to fix the systems, are short staffed or do not have an A&P License. More than one Captain has told us he planned to write up a debrief on the issue, but so far no change.
...The F/C and business class seats have a shortage in the system for parts and there is little training on troubleshooting the systems installed, as for changing one on a turn-it takes two to three guys that have done it just to get the job done in five-six hours(assuming they don't have to continually stop for catering, cleaners, outbound crew, etc.)
...The lavs and water servicing is a constant, daily battle with outbound crew requesting servicing, the ramp claiming they were serviced, maintenance being called only for us to request the aircraft be "re-serviced" before the now logbbook item can be cleared. Some crews leave with stinky lavs because they want to keep the schedule.
...Interior parts for the 777, 767-300 and 757 fleets are sparse, if you know what is required prior to aircraft arrival. If there is no KP line in the FMR and you have go onboard the aircraft to troubleshoot the problem just so you can look up the part to see if you have it--most AMTs don't have the time during a turn to spend that much time on something that should have been done on the overnight.
...The interiors of the aircraft are spent. My station does not stock entry rugs, seat covers, three tier carts--according to the CSMs from whom I've requested these items.

All of this pretty much sums up a pitiful presentation to the passengers and one that would have never been tolerated during my early years at the Company...d@mnde$t thing is that they still go out full and are frequently overbooked.

Opinion-
We are the frogs in a pot: we're on top of the stove; and, the heat is set on high.

I don't think eolesen will ever admit the fleet is falling apart - at least on the inside. Maintenance doesn't have time to so much as blow their nose on these unrealistic quick turns, with AA cracking the whip right behind them.

As I stated before, Arpey himself admitted that they have been neglecting their aircraft as far as maintenance and cleaning goes, and from what I've heard more than a few times, overnight crews use the aircraft for sleeping and watching the IFE movies, and they've been caught doing it - at least in MIA, on several occasions.

It is unfair for AA to expect maintenance issues to be resolved quickly while the aircraft is in service with little to no time to do it, when hours of overnight time for that aircraft is wasted . . . yet paid for.

There is no sense in the "Worlds largest airline by passenger volume" to have a fleet that is that filthy and broken down! I keep waiting for AA to rip out the seats and put in wooden benches with good old hemp rope for seat belts!

LH is ending DUS-EWR (and DUS-ORD) business jet service this spring. As Lufthansa is opening a widebody base in Dusseldorf, they will now fly widebodies from DUS to Newark and Chicago, as well as new routes from DUS to Miami and Toronto. They will, however, start FRA-EWR business-jet service.

eolesen said:
It's also throwing down the gauntlet a bit at L'Avion (Air France's version of Privatair)

L'Avion has absolute nothing to do with Air France. L'Avion is a private company that competes against Air France.

eolesen said:
BA is sending a warning shot at LH or AF to stay away from launching service to the US from LHR, which they're free to do starting in April.

They are free to do it, and, in the case of Air France, they are doing it. Air France launches Los Angeles-Heathrow service this spring, and a second USA-Heathrow route, most likely Miami-Heathrow, will launch in 2009.

eolesen said:
It may take some business away from AA, but DL and CO stand to lose more, since they have the huge NYC presence.

In terms of passengers carried, American Airlines is the second largest airline from the New York City area; the second largest airline at Newark; the second largest airline at JFK (behind JetBlue, and quite a bit ahead Delta); the largest airline at LaGuardia; and the second largest international airline to/from New York (with a quite a lead on Delta). There is this huge myth that Delta has this dominating pressence over AA in New York City, but it's anything but. AA carriers nearly 4M more passengers a year to/from NYC than Delta does.

I don't think eolesen will ever admit the fleet is falling apart - at least on the inside. Maintenance doesn't have time to so much as blow their nose on these unrealistic quick turns, with AA cracking the whip right behind them.

As I stated before, Arpey himself admitted that they have been neglecting their aircraft as far as maintenance and cleaning goes, and from what I've heard more than a few times, overnight crews use the aircraft for sleeping and watching the IFE movies, and they've been caught doing it - at least in MIA, on several occasions.

It is unfair for AA to expect maintenance issues to be resolved quickly while the aircraft is in service with little to no time to do it, when hours of overnight time for that aircraft is wasted . . . yet paid for.

There is no sense in the "Worlds largest airline by passenger volume" to have a fleet that is that filthy and broken down! I keep waiting for AA to rip out the seats and put in wooden benches with good old hemp rope for seat belts!

You get what you pay for and I dont think its neglect.

As far as the sleeping I would have to disagree everyone knows sleeping is a violation of company time although it is condoned by AA management :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts