Base Closure Procedures

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I have dismissed talk of closing the SLT base in the past as just talk, but I'm beginning to wonder. As of Oct. 1, we have 370 active flight attendants in SLT, but we only have 249 bid positions. The additional 121 have to be on vacation relief (which usually entails some availability), availability, or reserve. There are 94 of us just on AVBL and RSV.

When I was recalled in Nov. 2004, we had 120 lines of flying every month at SLT--21 75 and 99 S80. As of Oct. 1, we have 79 lines--12 75 and 67 S80.

I was told by someone in SLT management that the reason we lost another 3 bid positions from Sept. to Oct. was that we had 3 people take the VBR. When I pointed out that LAX-D had 15-20 people take the VBR, yet they gained 20 bid positions from Sept. to Oct., I got no response other than a "deer in the headlights" look.

If the plan is, in fact, to close SLT (the f/a base, not the station), does anyone know the procedure (if any) for dispersing the f/as to other bases? The contract only addresses the points that 120 days notice must be given for base closure and that moving expenses will be paid with time off for the move.

The reason I asked is that I was told by a f/a who had been through a base closure before (BNA) said that the company lets each f/a pick where they want to go, and they deal with any overages later. This seems way too broad-minded and considerate for the current management of the company. :lol:

The reason I asked is that I was told by a f/a who had been through a base closure before (BNA) said that the company lets each f/a pick where they want to go, and they deal with any overages later. This seems way too broad-minded and considerate for the current management of the company. :lol:

Fair question - I can't imagine those who dwell in the Ivory Towers doing something favorable for the proles, or even being slightly civil to the workers.

The other shoe will eventually hit the floor.

I beleive that you are offered assignment to bases with no pending transfers..?
BNA RDU closures happened before there were domestic mutual/lateral transfers allowed, so its anyones guess what might be considered.

It is EXTREMELY costly for AA to close a f/a base with the language provided in our contract..not saying that it will never happen..but.....

I beleive that you are offered assignment to bases with no pending transfers..?
That would seem likely except there are no domestic bases with no pending transfers! In fact, the pending transfers list to SLT is second longest of any domestic base. Only DFW has more pending transfers.

It is EXTREMELY costly for AA to close a f/a base with the language provided in our contract..not saying that it will never happen..but.....
I realized that when I looked at that section of the contract. However, just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean there's not someone out to get me. :lol: I just see bid positions being taken away from SLT and bid positions being added to other bases.

I'm on availability again this month. I haven't flown since the 7th. I'm good for the 14-16. There is nothing in open time for tomorrow or the 15th; 1 5hr turn for the 16th. Nothing on the sick list for tomorrow, either.

I can't help thinking...which is more costly? Closing the base or continuing to pay f/as not to fly month after month? Is this happening at other bases?

Jim,
I noticed today that there are no Base Planners assigned to SLT or DCA. Is this accurate? I has not read your post yet and it made me wonder whether there were plans to completely shut the bases down.
It may be costly to shut down a base but only if there are a substantial number of employees there. From what you describe it is minimal...shouldn't hurt Arpey's bonus at all!

The last SLT base planner resigned a couple of months ago. Someone else has been doing the planning for SLT, but I don't know if that's official or stopgap. I was at a meeting at DFW today with representatives from all other bases (that chose to attend). The DCA representative was a 32-year f/a. She mentioned a couple of times half-jokingly that DCA doesn't even have a Base Manager!!!! Neither of the two regional directors in the meeting could (or would) answer her question as to whether or not they were going to get a Base Manager at DCA

I'm on availability this month. I have 6 more days available this month, and I have not quite 31 hours of which 9+ hours is special assignment pay. I've actually flown about 22 hours this month. I reiterate, which is more costly 100+ f/as being paid guarantee to not fly? Or, base closing costs? I don't know.

By the way, with the cutback in Domestic and the buildup in International, there was a net loss of 40 bid positions systemwide for November. 10 of those bid positions are from SLT alone. We are down to 239 bid positions with 370 active flight attendants. I'm just saying...