RTM/s per employee for SW: 38.3

(RTM = Revenue ton mile)

Profit per RTM for AA: -19.2
Profit per RTM for SW: 15.3

(in cents)

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/22/2003 6:45:09 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Take the number of miles AA aircraft traveled in any given quarter, and divide it by the number of seats the airline has available...and yes, that includes the seats sitting in the sand, they are still technically "available." Every 727, every MD11, every DC10, every 747, every 767, on and on ad-nauseum. The parked seats are used to purposely throw the numbers off. It makes trying to fool unions, and "yes sir" slanted employees much easier.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Once again, you prove that you're completely clueless when it comes to statistics and finance...

ASM's are available seat miles flown in scheduled service.

Anyone who thinks parked aircraft are included in that or are parked in order to inflate the numbers has swallowed way too much hateoraid.

Sorry if you don't like it when facts conflict your opinions.

Back to the topic, though.

Baumert is not bagsmasher's alter ego.

He is an AA flight attendant married to another flight attendant, and not an independent analyst by any measure. Like John McCorkle and Chip Munn, Baumert has a conflict of interest which he refuses to disclose. At least the other employee/analysts mentioned above don't hide the fact that they're employed by the airline they choose to analyze.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/23/2003 11:35:15 PM desertfox wrote:

Forget Baumert...
What is interesting in this thread is the productivity comparison between airlines...one of the gauges was not mentioned....the ratio of employees to active aircraft.....take the total number of employees in the company divided by the number of active a/c in the fleet. This is a telling gauge of productivity and productivity is the name of the game. I dont have access to employee or fleet numbers but I figured other esteemed readers of this board may. Check out southwest...jetblue..continental or delta versus AA. The higher the number of employees per aircraft the poorer the productivity.

I do know that this was one of the statistics that TWA monitored in their attempt to cut costs in an effort to overcome the bloodletting that Icahn's KARABU ticket program inflicted on TWA.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That number is not a foolproof way to judge productivity. Especially in maint. As an airline gets bigger it becomes more efficient to bring more work in house. Aircraft require maint on a scheduled basis. For smaller airlines it may not be efficient to run heavy checks but as they get larger it becomes more cost effective. While an airline might not show that it has that many employees on payroll if it contracts out much of its work the fact is the work still must be accomplished, that cost factor has to be added in. Obviously the contractors are there to earn a profit too so they end up making money off the tickets that the airline sells, even if the airline doesnt. The need to contract out is a reflection of managements inability to manage its workforce, a competant management should seek to control as much of its operations as possible.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 5:52:00 AM will fix for food wrote:

For the 12 months ending 2002/06:

RTM/s per employee for AA: 41.3

----------------
[/blockquote]

Hopefully everyone here knows that RTMs refer to the amount of cargo that an airline carries. AA does more cargo business than WN. So what? That just comes with the territory when you fly international widebodies. I would call this the most ridiculous stat on this thread, but WNP's littany about ASMs from stationary aircraft in the desert takes the cake. Classic!

I would love to see some stats like monthly flight hours per pilot and F/A, Seats per FSC, Aircraft Mntc $$$ per flight hour (3 yr avg), PBs per Agent (we may compare favorably there), and Non-mgmt physicals per Management employee.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 7:44:09 PM Connected1 wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
Revenue ton miles??!!
Doesn't anyone know the current total number of employees on active AA payroll and the number of active flying a/c...(including the ones currently on CRAF duty)? This isnt that tough....

Then compare that figure using other airlines same employment and a/c count.

Try this for info on individual employee group numbers in AMR. Of course it doesn/t reflect recent layoffs. The fleet numbers from the same site also probably don/t reflect aircraft retirements as they are about a year old.

http://www.amrcorp.com/corpinfo.htm

After looking at the SWA site the employees per plane appear to be about 122 for A/A, and 100 for SW. BTW, Eagle operates at about 37 employees per plane.

[blockquote]
----------------

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

Hopefully everyone here knows that RTMs refer to the amount of cargo that an airline carries. AA does more cargo business than WN. So what? That just comes with the territory when you fly international widebodies. I would call this the most ridiculous stat on this thread, but WNP's littany about ASMs from stationary aircraft in the desert takes the cake. Classic!

I would love to see some stats like monthly flight hours per pilot and F/A, Seats per FSC, Aircraft Mntc $$$ per flight hour (3 yr avg), PBs per Agent (we may compare favorably there), and Non-mgmt physicals per Management employee.

----------------
[/blockquote]

You would think a "Connected1" would have all the stats at his fingertips...anyhow, the stats I gave were from the DOT website

http://ostpxweb.ost.dot.gov/aviation/

Maybe you could find something relevant there. Sorry about the RTM thing, I didn/t know it would throw you into hysterics like it did.

BTW, RTM's seem to be the only statistic on productivity that the DOT compiles. Go figure.

[blockquote]
----------------

Hopefully everyone here knows that RTMs refer to the amount of cargo that an airline carries. AA does more cargo business than WN. So what?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Now that you mention it, it would seem that since SW only operates 737's domestically and A/A operates wide bodies internationally and has a whole cargo department, you would think that number would be much more lopsided in A/A's favor. Does SW really carry that much cargo?