Becasue Of Ted Part 2?

herkav8r

Advanced
Apr 10, 2003
Frontier Airlines said late Tuesday it expects to report a fiscal second-quarter loss, citing high fuel prices and weaker-than-expected revenues.

The company's shares fell 5 percent, to $8.31, in midday trading on the Nasdaq today.

The discount carrier had earlier projected a small profit for the period, which ends Sept. 30.

Analysts were looking for a profit of a penny a share, according to a Thomson Financial poll.

The carrier posted a $2 million profit on $165.6 million in revenue in the same quarter a year ago.

A loss in the latest quarter would mark the third straight for Frontier, the nation's 16th-largest airline by traffic.

Frontier revised its second-quarter forecast because of a "weaker-than-expected revenue environment in the second half of the quarter and a significant increase in the expected average price per gallon for fuel during August and September," it said in a news release.

The airline has no fuel hedges in place this quarter to mitigate the impact of high fuel prices.

The carrier said its traffic — measured by miles flown by paying passengers — rose 29 percent in August from the same month a year earlier.

But the increase was below Frontier's 40 percent rise in seat capacity. The airline's load factor, the percentage of seats filled, fell 6.1 percentage points to 73.6 percent.

In more bad news, the carrier's yield, a measure of average fares, slid 12.6 percent to 10.07 cents.

Frontier is the second-largest carrier at Denver International Airport after UAL Corp.'s United Airlines.

The airline employs about 4,500 people and flies to nearly 50 cities in North America.

So Mr Fish, what is your reason behind the 3rd quarter in a row of poor performance?

Come on MrFish how bout a reply on that one. Oh I guess TED's got a hook in your mouth right now don't he. Numbers don't lie and as much as you hate UAL TED love's you guys even more. Matter of fact he likes you so much he flies on most of your routes now. ;) :shock: Nice post Herk...just the facts.

You'll have a lose to beleive me. And F9 isn't anywhere even remotely close to the trouble your still in. Everyone is going to show poor performance, but the LCC's will survive what you call an on stoth to put them out of business. We'll still be here :up: you've been trying for 10 years to sink F9, but you haven't even come close yet.

Good luck to you ALL at UAL, your management team has been VERY quiet lately. You should really be worried about what they have in store for YOU next. Your going to follow right in the shadow of USAIR.

HERK/BOEING,

I sleep good every night knowing that I'll still have a job 10 years from now :up:

So Mr Fish, what is your reason behind the 3rd quarter in a row of poor performance?

This is our total operating performance it's got nothing to do with TED in DENVER. We are watching to see what UAL posts! See if they try to paint a rosey picture again with one of those "We would of had a profit, IF" Our performance is based against all our competitors, not just UniTED. It's still a long hard road that your defunct management team has to take you down :shock: . Wish you the best of LUCK AS ALWAYS :up: It is going to be a VERY LONG AND COLD WINTER THEY SAY SO, STAY WARM. B)

PineyBob said:
BTW a General Manager at a Wendy's makes about what an F/O makes at Frontier.
[post="177466"][/post]​

That's a sad statement of where this industry is headed. ... the airline glory days are over; it's now becoming a race to the bottom as to which airline can 'reduce labor costs' the most.

As for F9, UAL let them coexist prior to 9/11; there was no aggressive effort to kill F9, because F9 knew its place in the food chain. Post-9/11, F9 aggressively expanded, betting on UAL dying, or at the very least, being mortally wounded. Yes, UAL's been wounded, but it looks like they're starting to show signs of recovery.
Since this will be the 3rd quarter in a row of poor performance, I'm willing to bet that the next couple of quarters, which are usually bad, will also be losers for F9. While F9 currently has a decent unrestricted cash position (just under $200 mm), it looks like F9 took on additional debt last year to increase that number. It is a matter of time before F9's credit line dries up.
Note that F9 had a 40% YOY increase in capacity. It looks like the classic overexpansion that kills airlines. ... we'll have to wait and see what happens here, but if UAL increases the number of TED destinations to mirror F9, it's only a matter of time before F9 posts its 9th, 10th, 11th straight quarterly losses. I did notice that TED will shortly be flying to Mexico from DEN; again mirroring F9's routes.
MrFish, UAL may be down right now, but I anticipate F9 to be handed a large slice of humble pie in the not-too distant future. So, enjoy your barbs at UAL while you have the chance. ... I'll take my Mako steak grilled. Slowly.

Wonder what UAL management has in store for you all. Maybe they will get smart like Delta and along with the 6000 job cuts they'll focus on their main hubs of SFO/ORD/LAX/ and/IAD. If any are in jepordy you can bet that DEN could turn into UAL's Delta plan. Think of it, they could sell their DEN slots, get out of the leases they owe DEN, and leave the highest operating airport in the US. I can see the headlines now, "UAL to lay-off 6000 employees and curve flights at DIA from 300+ to 70 a day :up:

WAIT, I forgot! UAL management isn't as smart as Delta's management. :shock:

Denver would survive and thrive just fine without UAL service.

Iflyjetz,

As for F9, UAL let them coexist prior to 9/11; there was no aggressive effort to kill F9, because F9 knew its place in the food chain. Post-9/11, F9 aggressively expanded, betting on UAL dying, or at the very least, being mortally wounded. Yes, UAL's been wounded, but it looks like they're starting to show signs of recovery.

This is a VERY untrue statement sir. Remember this past year when F9 kept telling Denver that they needed gate space for their expanding fleet. And UAL wouldn't relinquish gates to F9 for fear of the competition. Then UAL was forced to come to an agreement by the city of Denver. Remember what Mayor Web said before he left office about UAL's demanding the city to get their expansion completed and relief from the city of Denver. "I wish I had one more month to deal with this issue and UAL."

UAL has always considered Denver their home, but F9 rapidly became Denvers home town airline AGAIN. We got our gates, Denver has even agreed to more gate expansion for Frontier, but still balks at expansion plans for a company that won't even pay their bills. Denver would be a smart choice for UAL to down size at, just as Delta is doing at DFW. United can be replaced in Denver, they don't think so, BUT THEY CAN BE EASILY.

mrfish3726 said:
If any [hubs] are in jepordy you can bet that DEN could turn into UAL's Delta plan. Think of it, they could sell their DEN slots, get out of the leases they owe DEN, and leave the highest operating airport in the US.
Another excellent example of your lack of knowledge about the airline industry. First, there are no slots to sell at DEN, by United or anybody else. You work there, haven't you noticed the tremendous airfield capacity offered by the SIX active runways? Second, if DEN is such a high-cost airport (and it is), which airline is smarter -- the one (United) with only about 20% of its systemwide operations based there or the one (Frontier) with nearly all of its systemwide operations based there?

mrfish3726 said:
I can see the headlines now, "UAL to lay-off 6000 employees and curve flights at DIA from 300+ to 70 a day :up:
Your eagerness to see people put out of work apparently knows no bounds, as exemplified by the smilie face you used above. You're such a class act! (And in case it's not clear, be sure to note the dripping sarcasm in the previous sentence!)

Fish,
When the tide was turned they were the first one's to jump on you. Now that the employees of UAL are having to eat some humble pie it's quite refreshing. Keep up the posts, it provides a lot of entertainment. The ones who complain about your posts are the ones who have no "transferable skills". A pension with the PBGC and a managers job at Wendy's should work quite nice. :up: :up:

Borescope said:
Fish,
When the tide was turned they were the first one's to jump on you. Now that the employees of UAL are having to eat some humble pie it's quite refreshing. Keep up the posts, it provides a lot of entertainment. The ones who complain about your posts are the ones who have no "transferable skills". A pension with the PBGC and a managers job at Wendy's should work quite nice. :up: :up:
[post="177608"][/post]​
No transferable skills my ass..."Would you like fries with that?"....see, I have skills :up:

C54Capt said:
or... "I used to fly a B-767...would you like to super-size that?".
[post="177856"][/post]​

I'll bet with with your business background, you can jump straight to shift lead!!

Associated Press
Frontier Trims Flight Schedule by 13 Pct.
Thursday September 9, 11:54 pm ET
By Sandy Shore, AP Business Writer
Frontier Trims Flight Schedule by About 13 Percent As Rising Fuel Prices Batter Bottom Line

Latest posts