Big Cities (US)...with the Lowest Monthly Rents. (Forbes)

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
(I dont have the Forbes link handy)

OK...Kev3188/KC Flyer and delldude, I'm gonna need you guys to plz. give me a lil' perspective on the following info.

Of the 10 Big USA Cities with the lowest rent prices,these '3' were on the list.

10. MKE(and surrounding areas) - $724 median rent per month.
Kev, I know that UR Not in MKE, but THIS to me is astounding.
MKE has very good transportantion, sports teams and hospitals.

8. MCI (KS + MO) and surrounding areas / $ 711 median.
KCF, not sure I'd want to be in MCI/MO., but the area heading towards KCI looked good, plus what I saw of MCI/KS.
Again, 'what-gives' ?

And THIS I could Not believe.

1. PIT/and surrounding areas/ $ 608 median rent per month.

PIT. It has very good hospitals, Great sports town, and better than average airport.
Were not talking BUM-PHUCK Georgia here !

What am I missing here....dell ?

Oh, and I being very SERIOUS here my 3 good friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rents of the KS side of the line are higher, particularly in Johnson County (southwestern area). It has a lot to do with schools - Johnson County has very highly rated schools. KCMO not so much. Their schools were taken over by the state. There are pockets of KCK and KCMO where rents are low because, well, you really wouldn't want to live there. My kid plays volleyball for the local community college, which is located in a rather "upscale" part of the county. She lives with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom apartment and the rent is $1260 per month. That's pretty much going to be the high end for rentals in the metro area.

Rents of the KS side of the line are higher, particularly in Johnson County (southwestern area). It has a lot to do with schools - Johnson County has very highly rated schools. KCMO not so much. Their schools were taken over by the state. There are pockets of KCK and KCMO where rents are low because, well, you really wouldn't want to live there. My kid plays volleyball for the local community college, which is located in a rather "upscale" part of the county. She lives with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom apartment and the rent is $1260 per month. That's pretty much going to be the high end for rentals in the metro area.

THANX for the info KCF (I can ALWAYS count on you) !!

Sure, I realize that the prices I listed include the " HOOD(s) " in MCI as well as MKE and PIT.
$ 1,200 + for the ' High End " is very good. The rents in greater BOS are 'killers', and rents in S.NH are becoming no bargain either. The problem is, that the High paying jobs are here !

All this is is a deceiving way to tell you that by average there are more low-income high crime areas in a city. BOS is expensive because only the Kennedy's can afford to live there. It not only includes BOS but its outlying areas. Bit of advice, if you are looking for a place to retire, the rent may kill your nest egg. The best place to retire in the NE is actually NH. It's more affordable than say NY and Mass.

Stay where you at.....
(I dont have the Forbes link handy)

OK...Kev3188/KC Flyer and delldude, I'm gonna need you guys to plz. give me a lil' perspective on the following info.

Of the 10 Big USA Cities with the lowest rent prices,these '3' were on the list.

10. MKE(and surrounding areas) - $724 median rent per month.
Kev, I know that UR Not in MKE, but THIS to me is astounding.
MKE has very good transportantion, sports teams and hospitals.

8. MCI (KS + MO) and surrounding areas / $ 711 median.
KCF, not sure I'd want to be in MCI/MO., but the area heading towards KCI looked good, plus what I saw of MCI/KS.
Again, 'what-gives' ?

And THIS I could Not believe.

1. PIT/and surrounding areas/ $ 608 median rent per month.

PIT. It has very good hospitals, Great sports town, and better than average airport.
Were not talking BUM-PHUCK Georgia here !

What am I missing here....dell ?

Oh, and I being very SERIOUS here my 3 good friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pittsburgh has the country's cheapest metropolitan area rental units. Lessees there pay a median monthly rent of $608, less than half of San Jose's.
This is partly because Pittsburgh has struggled to rebuild its economic base after the loss of its steel industry, and residents are aging or leaving the city.
"The bottom line is that Pittsburgh is undergoing a sea shift in its economic base," says Susan Wachter, a real estate professor at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. "Rents are relatively low because it's in a state which is losing population, and it is simply not doing well."
But Pittsburgh's problems didn't start with the subprime crisis, and probably won't end soon.

PIT isn't in any crisis like this reporter portrays......loss of the steel industry began 33 years ago...kiss my asss.

It loses population from people kicking the bucket........

Your source has her head up your asss.

Stay where you at.....

PIT isn't in any crisis like this reporter portrays......loss of the steel industry began 33 years ago...kiss my asss.

It loses population from people kicking the bucket........

Your source has her head up your asss.

WHOA,...CALM DOWN you grouchy ol' P-rick.
I'm NOT knocking PIT in Any way shape or manner.

Except for a few too many REPUGS, PIT (to me) looks/sounds like a city I'd like.
(Of course, being a Steelers fan sure as helll helps)