Boarding Priorities Just Oul

MOC A320

Advanced
Aug 14, 2005
Just part go to awa compass

Boarding Priorities (Effective in phases; Oct. 5 and early 2006)
Without a doubt, the most important aspect of the pass policy centers on how non-revs are boarded. Seniority or first come/first serve. Many employees have sent legitimate concerns about this topic since the merger was announced. On the US side, concerns center on using something different than seniority boarding and concerns on the AWA side are also about changing from a first come/first serve process. Both have legitimate points, and quite frankly, there isn't a solution that is a win-win for everyone. Some may claim that a first come/first serve is the most fair way since it puts everyone on a level playing field; others make the point that they've worked hard for many years and seniority boarding is the last thing they have left. Both of those are true sentiments, and the one thing we can all agree on is that this one is not decision to be taken lightly.

Because it is easy to criticize the unknown (who really likes change?), it is appropriate that everyone have the opportunity to try the other's system out for a period of time. Employees may think they will hate seniority boarding, but until they actually try it out, they won't know for sure. Likewise, US Airways employees may think first come/first serve sounds awful, but they deserve the chance to try that out too. It's kind of like insisting you hate broccoli without ever having tried it (ok, we actually don't like broccoli unless it has a big glob of cheese sauce on it, but that's besides the point).

Throughout the year, we'll want to hear feedback from employees, and that feedback will be rolled up to the Steering Committee as well as reported back to employees through our internal communication channels. Let us know about your non-rev boarding experiences, what you like, what you don't like, etc. by writing to us at:

:(
Irony -- any non-revver starting their day in the East on an HP connecting flight -- oh, let's say out of PHL or PIT -- will have a substantially earlier check-in time for their connecting flight in LAS or PHX.

By using first-come, first-served, DOH doesn't matter. But how do HP employees feel about the huge advantage US people have when checking in, maybe 9 or 10 or more hours before, oh, I don't know, say a flight to HAWAII?

Example:
Leave
Thu, Jan 26 America West 631
Depart: 7:30am
Arrive: 10:30am Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
Phoenix, AZ (PHX)

Change planes. Time between flights: 1hr 0min

America West 920
Depart: 11:30am
Arrive: 3:24pm Phoenix, AZ (PHX)
Honolulu/Oahu, HI (HNL)

A non-rev in the East could check-in, on-line, from home, as early as 4:30am -- which is 1:30am in PHX -- 10 hours before the departure for HNL -- so the East non-rev has a 6 hour advantage! So much for worrying bout DOH, eh?

Just wait until more HP'ers figure this out... :shock: :angry: :down:

Let's hope they continue to let HP'ers use their unexipired flexi-passes to fly SA1, at least until they expire...that way, they'll have half a chance to get on... :cold:

Breath_of_Fresh_USAirways said:
But how do HP employees feel about the huge advantage US people have when checking in, maybe 9 or 10 or more hours before, oh, I don't know, say a flight to HAWAII?

Just wait until more HP'ers figure this out... :shock: :angry: :down:

they'll have half a chance to get on... :cold:
[post="305232"][/post]​

Nothing like trying to stir things up when it clearly states......

US Airways employees on AWA: SA3C
these enable boarding after active employees and retirees, but before OAL employees.

SO, HP employees wont be losing anything right now in boarding priority since they will be SA3P AHEAD of current US employees. Hows that?

tadjr said:
Nothing like trying to stir things up when it clearly states......

US Airways employees on AWA: SA3C
these enable boarding after active employees and retirees, but before OAL employees.

SO, HP employees wont be losing anything right now in boarding priority since they will be SA3P AHEAD of current US employees. Hows that?
[post="305238"][/post]​
:oops: I hope that's true. And I thought I was "one of those people" that understood this new policy :blush: !

However, it's still a factor to consider when the final pass policy is worked-out...whether it be DOH of 1C1S...

Breath_of_Fresh_USAirways said:
However, it's still a factor to consider when the final pass policy is worked-out...whether it be DOH of 1C1S...
[post="305245"][/post]​

Aw hell, let me get my broom out and stir the pot. Of course it will be Date of Hire..... Too many oldies get to the gates late and have a meltdown if they think the list has not been done correctly. And, Date of Hire should at least be used for this.

mortbouncey.gif

PLEASE, It still can be first come first serve. All those old timers can check in from home. So get out the walker and get on the compter. If you don't have a computer call a grand kids or a 9 year old neighbor and have them check you in. :lol: :up: ;)

multitasker said:
PLEASE, It still can be first come first serve. All those old timers can check in from home. So get out the walker and get on the compter. If you don't have a computer call a grand kids or a 9 year old neighbor and have them check you in. :lol: :up: ;)
[post="305343"][/post]​
Here is a novel idea for those former AWA employees that are desperately hanging onto a first come first serve boarding priority--only continue to non rev to the destinations that AWA services, stay off of the US route system, you wont have to worry about.

proudf/a said:
Here is a novel idea for those former AWA employees that are desperately hanging onto a first come first serve boarding priority--only continue to non rev to the destinations that AWA services, stay off of the US route system, you wont have to worry about.
[post="305346"][/post]​

Desperately hanging onto a first come first serve boarding priority? :shock:

You have got to be kidding me! In defense to that comment - at least is isnt all we have left!

ClearedToPush said:
Desperately hanging onto a first come first serve boarding priority? :shock:

You have got to be kidding me! In defense to that comment - at least is isnt all we have left!
[post="305365"][/post]​
it isnt? lets just wait and see when the dust settles wait and see what you have left.

proudf/a said:
it isnt? lets just wait and see when the dust settles wait and see what you have left.
[post="305370"][/post]​

When the dust settles we will have a kick a** airline because all of the old sour grapes who are so set in thier ways will be gone! That goes people from both sides of the track.

ClearedToPush said:
When the dust settles we will have a kick a** airline because all of the old sour grapes who are so set in thier ways will be gone! That goes people from both sides of the track.
[post="305379"][/post]​
You could be right, but then again, I personally tend to respect those that have paved the way for us today. Through their yrs of hard work and fighting for contracts and such rights as date of hire. Within the next 10 yrs you will see a much junior airline. Gee, I am wondering if you are considering a 20 yr veteran such as myself as an "old sour grape"? I would certainly hope not, considering I am not yet 40! :rolleyes:

proudf/a said:
You could be right, but then again, I personally tend to respect those that have paved the way for us today. Through their yrs of hard work and fighting for contracts and such rights as date of hire. Within the next 10 yrs you will see a much junior airline. Gee, I am wondering if you are considering a 20 yr veteran such as myself as an "old sour grape"? I would certainly hope not, considering I am not yet 40! :rolleyes:
[post="305385"][/post]​

Age has nothing to do with being a sour old grape. It has to do with the way people view situations. I know plenty of young "sour old grapes" and plenty old "sour old grapes".

What I dont understand is why did you stay? If my job was as unstable as many of the US Airway employees portray why not jump ship a after the first set of cutbacks. Especially if as many of your DOH people say "It is the only thing you have left?"

One last thing. In order to get respect you have to give respect. I suspect that is the one thing that US management never learned and it has trickled down through the ranks. I am sorry. Hopefully in the coming years that will change for all and the respect you probrably deserve, will be one of the best benefits you could have hoped for out of this merger.

ClearedToPush said:
[post="305379"][/post]​

Huh? A bad attitude is a bad attitude. It doesn't matter what age, how senior or junior, or where they reside (which side of the tracks). I have yet to speak of anyone at work that isn't excited about this merger, although they may be a little emotional right now. I have only seen the sour grapes here on this forum (and our local AFA) from a few flight attendants. The USAir people seem like they are excited, too. Sour grapes make bad wine. And who likes that?

ClearedToPush said:
Age has nothing to do with being a sour old grape. It has to do with the way people view situations. I know plenty of young "sour old grapes" and plenty old "sour old grapes".

What I dont understand is why did you stay? If my job was as unstable as many of the US Airway employees portray why not jump ship a after the first set of cutbacks. Especially if as many of your DOH people say "It is the only thing you have left?"

One last thing. In order to get respect you have to give respect. I suspect that is the one thing that US management never learned and it has trickled down through the ranks. I am sorry. Hopefully in the coming years that will change for all and the respect you probrably deserve, will be one of the best benefits you could have hoped for out of this merger.
[post="305387"][/post]​
I was referring to the industry as a whole being unstable. As for why I stay. I love my job, have I been unhappy with management and circumstances over the past several yrs, of course. Do I take it out on my customers? Absolutely not, this isnt their fight. I have lived through this intergration three times within my career. I have nothing but respect for those that are senior to me, and those that are junior to me. You may not think DOH is a big deal, well it will be if a bigger carrier comes in a swallows us up, it could happen. I also very much respect your opinion. My hope is that you respect mine. Regardless of what anyone thinks or believes, this merger was to save 2 struggling airlines, in hopes of saving 47,000 jobs. We can all make this or break this, I choose to do as I have done in the past, smile and welcome my new coworkers, and move on with the business of making this a great airline. You can choose to do whatever you like.

proudf/a said:
I was referring to the industry as a whole being unstable. As for why I stay. I love my job, have I been unhappy with management and circumstances over the past several yrs, of course. Do I take it out on my customers? Absolutely not, this isnt their fight. I have lived through this intergration three times within my career. I have nothing but respect for those that are senior to me, and those that are junior to me. You may not think DOH is a big deal, well it will be if a bigger carrier comes in a swallows us up, it could happen. I also very much respect your opinion. My hope is that you respect mine. Regardless of what anyone thinks or believes, this merger was to save 2 struggling airlines, in hopes of saving 47,000 jobs. We can all make this or break this, I choose to do as I have done in the past, smile and welcome my new coworkers, and move on with the business of making this a great airline. You can choose to do whatever you like.
[post="305391"][/post]​

A wise man (my father) once said - life isnt bad until you run out of choices. You may not like the choices you have but at least you have the oppurtunity to choose.

I know what my choice is. Like the stupid green shirt I have to wear every friday - I am onboard.