Boeing Vs Airbus

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Since the other thread was getting so long with several subjects thrown in I thought I'd start a new one...

Basically, there oar few "effective" differences. The Bus has a glass cockpit, only the 757/767 have that (of U's fleet). The Bus uses a sidestick, the Boeings use the "yoke" or control column.

While the Bus is fly-by-wire and the Boeings are not, the pilot flys them pretty much the same. Pushing the "stick" forward will make the nose go down & pulling the "stick" back will make the nose go up.

One comment on Boeing pilots flying outside the safety envelope of the flaps. No pilot I know (no matter the manufacturer of the plane) intentionally flys outside the safety envelope. As the saying goes, "we're the first ones to the site of the crash" when things go wrong. Particularly on the 737, past rudder actuator problems have resulted in us using higher speeds for some flap settings. This means higher aerodynamic loads on the flaps, and hence more wear & tear than the old speeds. However, with only one exception, these speeds are still well inside the speed limitations proscribed by Boeing.

That exception is the 737-300 at heavy weights. The -300 has a maximum flaps extended speed of 230 kts. Our current speed schedule calls for a minimum flap 0 speed of 230 kts. at the higher weights. When heavy the ideal is to "clean up" so that the flaps reach the up position just as the speed reaches 230 kts or start entending the flaps just as the speed drops thru 230 kts. Unfortunately, given turbulence, gusty winds, ets., the ideal is not always possible and it is possible to exceed the "flaps extended" speed momentarily by a few knots.

Another Boeing/Airbus similarity, in their search for a new location for the 7E7 factory there is a requirement for water access for barging components from asian vendors. Dr. Bronner is promoting Mobile, Ala. as a prime candidate for the final assembly location at Brookley Field, home of Mobile Aerospace Engineering. It appears that the "Buy American" will have less relevance when applied to Big B.

You're right, I saw something the other day about Boeing sending some component manufacturing work to Turkey - part of the "you buy our aircraft and we'll give you part of the work building it" theory.

Made in America sure doesn't mean what it used to.

Prior to now, aircraft builders have zealously guarded the crown jewels, such as the wing assembly.

Once China or India has this technology, why would they ever buy a Boeing again?

For insight into this, read Crichton's not-so-fictional 'Airframe.'

Lenin was right about one thing. A capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with.

God help us all.

Diogenes,

How right you are - chasing short term (10 - 15 years) orders by helping create your future competition.

I remember reading an article in Aviation Week about the AB-380 when it was in the very preliminary discussion phase. At least 6 or 7 times the Airbus spokesman said they were looking at designing certain systems this or that way because "Boeing has done a lot of research on this and found ..."