BOHICA! Just looked at the 2013 Health Benefits Comparisons

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Particularly if you have children/dependents on your insurance, brace yourself. A Valium or two taken in advance (make sure it is from ExpressScripts so you can afford it) may help the blood pressure.

Example: I currently pay about $70/month for top of the line, employee only, coverage with a $150 annual deductible and $1000 maximum out of pocket expense. I expected the premium and the annual limits to increase, but...

The closest thing to what I currently have is called the Standard Option.

The minimum premium among the 2013 options that I can find so far for employee only is $70.69/month, and that includes a $750 annual deductible with a $2000 maximum out of pocket expense. Note this is Preferred Administrator (BCBS) for my state (Texas) in-network only. For out-of-network expenses, the annual deductible is$3000! Out of pocket maximum is $6000. That is for employee only. If you choose the "Tier One or Tier Two" administrator, the premium goes to $88.36/mo or $106.04.

If your family is included, the preferred administrator premium jumps to $247/month with a $2250 annual deductible and a $5000 out of pocket max. Oh, and the money you pay (employee or family) for your annual deductible does NOT count in the calculation of your annual out of pocket.

The Value Option has $300 annual deductible and $1750 out of pocket maximum; however, the monthly premium is $112.50. Double annual deductible and almost double out of pocket over this year, but triple the monthly premium. Ouch!

One of the things that concerns me is the hospital in-patient coverage. The chart specifies pre-authorization required (no other option mentioned). I was admitted to the hospital earlier this month through the emergency room. I was in the hospital for 3 days. I was admitted at 11pm. I doubt seriously the insurance administrator is going to have staff on duty at that hour of the night to pre-approve my admission. Does that mean I would just have to eat the entire hospital cost? All I can get out of HR chat is, "You should attend the road show at DFW on 11/02." Now, since I don't have my November schedule yet, there is a real possibility I might be flying that day. Do my questions just go unanswered if I can't attend their road show? Anybody know the answer to this one?

typically emergency admissions result in the pre-approval process being waived but you (or someone on your behalf since you just might be in critical shape) are supposed to contact the insurance company ASAP to advise them... although by that point, i expect the hospital is already sending chargest to the insurance company with your policy number.

They should provide you w/ information on the procedures, road show or not.

BTW, sad as it may be, the financial terms you note are not terribly out of line for current private sector insurance coverage.
Health care costs and the insurance that is SUPPOSED to pay for them is outrageously expensive.

Jim, my guess is that it is waived in non-elective scenarios.

Our policy also requires pre-approval for in-patient stays. A few years ago, my wife was admitted to the hospital thru the emergency room at 0400, and in surgery to remove her gall bladder at 0900. Insurance didn't bat an eye, although the hospital managed to screw up the filing enough that it took them 12 months to resolve.

And depending on who your carrier is, it would't surprise me if they did have someone staffing 24/7. In some cases, it's all automated -- hospital files the diagnosis codes, and the carrier gives a red/yellow/green light.

Costs going up? Shocking. AA employees were already paying lower than normal employee contributions. Try pricing it on the free market...

Have you asked your union for a clarification? Isn't that part of what they're there to do for you? Or are they washing their hands of healthcare?

Reactions: 1 person
All of this information was mailed to my home in August. All three plans were there in black and white and none of this information should be a surprise. My partner pays a little over $100 a month and also has a copay. I'm afraid to say that it is true that we are catching up to what most companies offer. If you want cheap insurance then you need to work in the public sector especially in the northeast!

As a California public sector employee, I agree that insurance benefits for unionized government employees are still very rich. Very low deductible, co-pays and annual out-of-pocket maximum. And no premium cost to employees, even for family coverage (employer pays Anthem $1,600/mo). Plus dental and vision.

Well, I'm happy to say that I don't have much experience with hospitalization. That's why I was concerned. I've already found out on another issue about next year's insurance that something that would be illegal for an insurance company to do is legal because AMR is self-insured; so, it doesn't hurt to ask. (Before this trip, I had not been an inpatient in a hospital for 56 years--since I had my tonsils out at age 11.)

Non-postal bi-weekly premium for a government employee (union or not) for family coverage BCBS standard option is $200.

So much for the notion of bloated government benefits compared to the private sector. Airline benefits still outpace many other industries and federal government.

http://www.fepblue.org/news/benefitsandservices/2013-benefits-rates.jsp

All plans at DL just saw significant premium increases, and large jumps in both coinsurance max & deductibles. For the plan that is most comparable to the "top of the line" plan you noted, the premium is actually the same ($247), with a $3450 (DL pays the first $1500) deductible, and $6k for coinsurance max.

I'm not sure why so many Americans are okay with paying more & more each year for less & less coverage...

All plans at DL just saw significant premium increases, and large jumps in both coinsurance max & deductibles. For the plan that is most comparable to the "top of the line" plan you noted, the premium is actually the same ($247), with a $3450 (DL pays the first $1500) deductible, and $6k for coinsurance max.

I'm not sure why so many Americans are okay with paying more & more each year for less & less coverage...

Well, since we are not part of the 1%, do we have a choice? My witch doctor pulled in his shingle and retired several years ago. :lol:
Speaking of which, it would be interesting to see the executives' health plan--what it covers and what it costs in particular.

Well, since we are not part of the 1%, do we have a choice? My witch doctor pulled in his shingle and retired several years ago. :lol:
Speaking of which, it would be interesting to see the executives' health plan--what it covers and what it costs in particular.

You dont have to see it. You can be 99.9% sure they pay little or nothing for far superior coverage. Welcome to the 99%. Whats more, our representatives ie "unions" do nothing.

Ask your union. I thought part of the tentative agreement argument to go to a common health plan was to have a single health plan for *all* employees. A bazillion years ago, I believe there was a separate plan for officers.

Presumably, that should now include all officers and managing directors, but it's still a good question to ask. They should be eating their own dogfood.

Regardless if they're getting the same coverages, it's a moot point if they're assessed the same copays and deductibles. VP's typically get a "personal allowance" to cover stuff that used to be provided as part of their employment contracts, e.g. lease cars, financial planning assistance, etc... That would easily cover their out of pocket expenses...

it is a good question to ask...

...And if they don't have an acceptable answer, you can usually find that sort of thing in the co.'s SEC filings. Dunno about Arpey (or now) Horton, but Anderson has a standing deal for free health care for life for him & his family. It was negotiated while he was at NW, but he currently declines it...

So tell me plz. WHAT will Change with these truly SAD circumstances(with these F Insurance companys)if this country continues with the GOP in control of ANY of the 3 branches of Government ?
(EXCEPT that the rates will CONTINUE to go up )
Answer:...NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !

The ONLY Way to bring those dirty bas-tard Ins. Comp's to 'heal like a DOG' is to have Democrats in control of ALL 3 houses !

Dems = More Middle class jobs !
More Middle class jobs = More Unions !
More Unions = much lower Ins. Rates !

Reactions: 1 person