Booze

s80dude

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
USA
Visit site
Had a pax. upset that we charged him $5 for a beer going to Mexico. He stated on all the other US carriers, the booze are free on flights outside the country. Is this true? I figured everyone was charging these days....

Last I heard, all American carriers, except UA were charging. Your guy was trying to slip one past you.

s80dude said:
Had a pax. upset that we charged him $5 for a beer going to Mexico. He stated on all the other US carriers, the booze are free on flights outside the country. Is this true? I figured everyone was charging these days....
[post="257266"][/post]​

Funny that a passenger was more concerned with the price of a beer than he should be about the outsourcing of jobs of the people that care for the aircraft he wants to drink on.

Ken MacTiernan said:
Funny that a passenger was more concerned with the price of a beer than he should be about the outsourcing of jobs of the people that care for the aircraft he wants to drink on.
[post="257284"][/post]​

Ummmm.........Ken, you're starting to look like a thread hijacker here.

s80dude said:
[post="257266"][/post]​

The guy probally paid $120 roundtrip and is complaining about a $5 beer. Next time offer him free drinks in exchange for him picking up the fuel bill. :up: :up:

Back in the days I graced the aisles in hot pants and go-go boots, people used to complain the booze cost them $1. They used to ask for receipts and we would write them out on cocktail napkins.

The fare was $25.50 LAX/SFO.

Wait until they start accusing you of "making up the pay cut you just took" by charging them for meals they *know* were part of the ticket. It's really hard to keep a straight face -- either you want to laugh out loud or start crying in the aisle.

You gotta love people. :lol:

Dea

people who complain they do not get something free pisses me off. You pay for a ticket from point a to point b. want a beer buy one. want food buy it.

Operaations, we created that problem by providing meals and booze for years even after the cost of tickets relative to the Consumer Price Index started to drop.

30 years ago, I would think twice about jumping on an airplane to fly IAH to BHM just for a couple of days to visit family or friends. The cost of a ticket would be around $250.00-$350.00 roundtrip at a time when I had a very good job that paid me $750/mo (IIRC). Today, I can make the same trip (well, from DAL) on SW with one-stop in HOU or MSY for $206, and that's a refundable fare. Non-stop on AA it's about $300.00. Think about the increase in costs for other things in 30 years.

We have failed to manage expectations. SW has been very careful to make sure that you know that with them you get transportation from Point A to Point B. Anything else costs extra.

With ad campaigns such as "Something Special in the Air" or "We know why you fly", we have set up an expectation on the part of the passenger for something more than transportation from Point A to Point B. I'm not saying I know the answer, but we have to change the passenger's perception or convince him that it is worth the extra cost to get the extras.