BOS gates

RowUnderDCA

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
www.usaviation.com
What''s up with the BOS gates split up like that (according to April''s Attache)? Did U loose the new shuttle gates by defaulting on leases? Some kind of renovation shuffle? Can''t U get them back, somehow? Those ''C'' gates really suck, as I recall. I haven''t been to BOS since October.

Perhaps you are referring to the United gates at BOS, which operate from the C concourse. As recently as 2 weeks ago when I was in BOS, US still had all of their operation in the B concourse.

In order to get from B to C one would need to take a bus.

Attache has begun to put maps of United Gates as well as US Airways.

Nope, it''s not UAL. I''m looking at the "Attache" now....

Over there between Terminal B and C, it says "US Airways Shuttle Gates" and "US Airways Shuttle Ticket Counter" That''s a good 15 minute walk through B''s parking garage and past American toward Terminal C. I know, I''ve RUN by it trying to catch a connection.

U has 11 gates in Terminal B and 7 gates in B-C. Renovations? Additions to Terminal B? Lost their lease?

I dont have the current Attache map so I cant say for sure (some of their route maps arent too accurate either so I wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in "exact" locations.)
The US website shows only gates in terminal B in BOS. The website showed Shuttle flights arriving in Bos at gates B15/B18/B21 for the 3 random flights I pulled up. Will look at the magazine tomorrow at work and see whats up if possible. Havent heard or read anything about moving gates or giving any up in BOS.

The online US map of terminal B shows only half of it, ignoring the American side. I can see how one could look at this map and possibly think that the shuttle gates are not part of B, but they were there last week.

----------------
On 4/7/2003 11:25:05 PM Slam&Click wrote:

http://www.attachemag.com -- go to bottom of screen, select "travel info" within the black bar -- at the top of the next page, select "connections"
Select appropriate airport diagram, and then select enlarge.

----------------​

Yes, that''s the map I''m used to seeing, but that''s definitely NOT the map in the April Attache that I have. The shuttle gate area (new gates) aren''t even depicted.

I have seen mistakes that make you wonder how they even got made in the first place, much less not get caught by proofing, but this is a pretty complete ''mistake.''

The gates haven''t changed. The shuttle section is a new addition on the south side of terminal B. It''s a pity that US Airways has cut almost 40% of their Boston departures during the last couple of years. They used to be my primary carrier (and I''d go back in a second).

I''m still surprised US is holding on to 18 gates at BOS, given that total daily departures are down to roughly 100 and the fact that DL operates a few more daily departures from BOS with 13 or 14 gates. Then again, Delta''s operations at Terminal C can be a royal cluster%$&* with several 757''s, 767''s and an AF A340 all leaving within an hour of each other...

I suppose it means that US either intends to expand service from BOS again (so it made sense to keep all their leases) or the overall cost of the leases wasn''t terribly high. If Austin wanted to p.o. Dr. Evil, US could sublet a few of those gates to jetBlue, but that wouldn''t be real good for US''s traffic either.

Ok... here are three speculations as to WHY my Attache Magazine shows 7 USAirways and USAirways Shuttle gates and ticket counters between Terminals B and C, in order of probablity:

1) lazy editors and lazy graphics folk:

An editor tells a graphics guy, "come up with a Logan map that shows Term C," because of the UAL code share. Graphics spec says, "yes ma'am" and finds an OLD graphic that shows US Airways Shuttle facilities 'over there' when the B Terminal was being renovated.

2) Massport's Revenge

Massport revoked U's leases on the newer gates and stuck them in the crappy gates... starting soon???

3) Massport's never-ending renovations

Massport is proceeding with even more additions to the end of Terminal B's new gates (I think there are plans for a Customs facility there... so U Shuttle gates are temporarily to be closed.

4) oh... I said there'd only be three.

Flight attendants were informed at the beginning of the month that the BOS map was a misprint and that customers should not be referred to it when reading connecting gate information. The corrected map will appear in the May edition.

----------------
On 4/8/2003 12:56:50 PM sfb wrote:
If Austin wanted to p.o. Dr. Evil, US could sublet a few of those gates to jetBlue, but that wouldn''t be real good for US''s traffic either.

----------------​

I wouldn''t be surprised if US is holding on to those gates specifically to keep Jet Blue out. My impression is that Jet Blue would be here if they could get the gates, and that would be very bad for US! The only reason I can think of anymore to fly US from here is the DM program. Delta, UA, and AA all have nonstops to places I actually go to, but of course US doesn''t, except for the shuttle. I dread the thought of even more flights from here going to PHL if PIT should lose more flights.

The map in the Attache magazine is a misprint. We were told not to refer pax to this map and not to give gate connections in Boston. U currently has 21 gates in boston. Delta is using gates 1 and 2 for there shuttle operation until construction on the new terminal A is finished. Should Delta have enough money to take over the new terminal A they should move in sometime late next year. If things don''t inprove for Delta I''m sure U and UAL will try to move into the new terminal A to keep codeshare flights close together.( The same thing happened in the early 90''s when Continental was going bk and U took over the new terminal in LGA.) U is currently looking at adding long haul flights out of Boston and have already added CUN and SJU nonstops. Daily flights to BDA will start soon. U is committed to remain the #1 carrier out of Boston.

Rumor has it jetblue will be flying in and out of Boston by years end.They won''t have any problem getting gate space.Remember the code share alliance with delta,northwest,
and continental? They have to give up some gates.