BOS-LHR downgraded to 757

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Just reviewed my reservation for an upcoming trip to Heathrow and am disappointed to see AA 108/109 BOS-LHR-BOS operating with 757 equipment effective 04/04/11. Within the past two years the route has gone from 2x 777 to mix 777/763, all 763, mix 763/757 now all 757s. I can understand keeping the AM flight a 757 but not offering widebody service is pathetic. Delta is now operating 2x 767-400ER with lie flat beds in J. Virgin offers competitive service on their A340/747. Your joint venture partner BA is operating 2x 747, 1x 777. If AA is unable to offer a competitive product its about time they throw in the towel and allow BA to take over. Aside from using an eVIP if given the opportunity to redeem/earn AA miles on BA (w/ fuel surcharge) I can't understand why anyone would take AA's dumpy 757 over BA 777 or 747 with better, more professional in-flight service.

Of the 16 seats in J, TWO (2/16) 12.5% will be used for APA crewrest. This is absolutely ridiculous and AA shouldn't standby and allow the unions to destroy the company this way. Aparently the poor unionists can't get the required sleep with one (1) business class seat. I love how APA claims they can't get the required sleep if that seat is occupied yet they have no problem moving NRSAs up who are too cheap/can't afford to pay the nominal ADP charges from CDG/LHR and allow them to occupy the seats while the crew is not resting. This happened on my recent LHR-BOS flight and I made certain to send the flight number, name of FAs involved, captains name, and physical description of NRSA to corporate. AMR is OWNED by APA, APFA, and TWU.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Just reviewed my reservation for an upcoming trip to Heathrow and am disappointed to see AA 108/109 BOS-LHR-BOS operating with 757 equipment effective 04/04/11. Within the past two years the route has gone from 2x 777 to mix 777/763, all 763, mix 763/757 now all 757s. I can understand keeping the AM flight a 757 but not offering widebody service is pathetic. Delta is now operating 2x 767-400ER with lie flat beds in J. Virgin offers competitive service on their A340/747. Your joint venture partner BA is operating 2x 747, 1x 777. If AA is unable to offer a competitive product its about time they throw in the towel and allow BA to take over. Aside from using an eVIP if given the opportunity to redeem/earn AA miles on BA (w/ fuel surcharge) I can't understand why anyone would take AA's dumpy 757 over BA 777 or 747 with better, more professional in-flight service.

Josh
AA is adding a third BOS-LHR trip for the summer.

Of the 16 seats in J, TWO (2/16) 12.5% will be used for APA crewrest. This is absolutely ridiculous and AA shouldn't standby and allow the unions to destroy the company this way. Aparently the poor unionists can't get the required sleep with one (1) business class seat. I love how APA claims they can't get the required sleep if that seat is occupied yet they have no problem moving NRSAs up who are too cheap/can't afford to pay the nominal ADP charges from CDG/LHR and allow them to occupy the seats while the crew is not resting. This happened on my recent LHR-BOS flight and I made certain to send the flight number, name of FAs involved, captains name, and physical description of NRSA to corporate. AMR is OWNED by APA, APFA, and TWU.

Josh

This is old news.

I am sure this will be the last nail in the coffin for our BOS-LHR. We have been telling our local management ever since we started to fly the 757 to Europe that our PAX hate it. They don't care. BOS is no longer a focus city. When they need a plane to start a route elsewhere, it comes from BOS. We have already lost so much of our premium traffic to BA. I am sure we are doing it only to hold the slots....

For the record.... This change has been in RES since NOV 2010. You should have made your reservation more carefully and gone over to BA!

THere is NO pilot crew rest on BOS LHR flights. There are only 2 pilots. All 16 seat are sold!

Your rants are ridiculous. The flights attendants probably rub your steak around the bowl of the toilet before serving it to you! Looking forward to serving you on a LHR flight soon.

This is old news.

I am sure this will be the last nail in the coffin for our BOS-LHR. We have been telling our local management ever since we started to fly the 757 to Europe that our PAX hate it. They don't care. BOS is no longer a focus city. When they need a plane to start a route elsewhere, it comes from BOS. We have already lost so much of our premium traffic to BA. I am sure we are doing it only to hold the slots....

For the record.... This change has been in RES since NOV 2010. You should have made your reservation more carefully and gone over to BA!

THere is NO pilot crew rest on BOS LHR flights. There are only 2 pilots. All 16 seat are sold!

Your rants are ridiculous. The flights attendants probably rub your steak around the bowl of the toilet before serving it to you! Looking forward to serving you on a LHR flight soon.

Tell me about it. DCA, RDU, SAN, SFO, SJU, STL have all been cut in the past year. The elimination of the 767 on 5:00pm/7:30am BOS-LAX-BOS was bug for me. It's unfortunate but I think AA's cost structure is such that it can't compete with JetBlue, Southwest, and Virgin on many of the routes. I should have looked more carefully at my reservation and the wonderful folks at the Admirals Club also told me and encouraged to write in and upon doing so I received the following response:
Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. We welcome the opportunity to respond to
your concerns.

We continually evaluate the profitability of each flight segment we operate and, where
appropriate, we withdraw from serving a particular market when we find our resources
could be better utilized elsewhere. Likewise, we add service -- either with new
routes, different aircraft or greater frequency -- where it would be profitable to do
so and we have the available equipment and personnel. We have documented your
suggestion for 777 three-class service between Boston and
London Heathrow. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

We are determined to lead the industry in services and marketing programs that benefit
frequent travelers such as yourself. It is a privilege to serve you, and we look
forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

Angela Dean
Customer Relations
American Airlines

And actually I've gotten to know many of the BOS FAs-particularly those on BOS-LAX-and many are wonderful. The international crews are hit or miss but I usually am trying to sleep or get work done and they're reasonably quick and efficient. I always acknowledge the FAs with eye contact and a greeting, use "please" and "thank you" during my on-board interaction. I've never sensed that the FAs are upset about my demeanor or requests and I've even gotten to a couple over my years of flying. Again, AA has many great employees at BOS, LAX, JFK and elsewhere but they are few and far between.

Josh

With DL dumping all of that extra capacity in the market, I wonder if AA is being sly as a fox...

This summer looks to be brutal with fuel prices, and preserving frequency and premium seats while cutting their losses on how much of the back they need to fill up may prove to be the smarter move.

Josh
Ok Josh, I'm thoroughly convinced you are the one in the middle!

three-stooges.jpg

With DL dumping all of that extra capacity in the market, I wonder if AA is being sly as a fox...

This summer looks to be brutal with fuel prices, and preserving frequency and premium seats while cutting their losses on how much of the back they need to fill up may prove to be the smarter move.

Exactly. Delta just extended its $1,500 biz class (roundtrip) sale from BOS and MIA until mid-August.

As an aside, the ex-TWA 757s leased by DL had nice new interiors installed, but I don't think their BE seats are flat beds. Doesn't DL fly those on the JFK transcons now as well as some shorter Europe routes?

I've flown on AA's NGBC 757s (75Ls) and if you're up front, it's a perfectly nice short flight. More comfortable seats than on AA's old 757s.

Exactly. Delta just extended its $1,500 biz class (roundtrip) sale from BOS and MIA until mid-August.

As an aside, the ex-TWA 757s leased by DL had nice new interiors installed, but I don't think their BE seats are flat beds. Doesn't DL fly those on the JFK transcons now as well as some shorter Europe routes?

I've flown on AA's NGBC 757s (75Ls) and if you're up front, it's a perfectly nice short flight. More comfortable seats than on AA's old 757s.

I agree. Up front is just as comfortable as the 767. Coach is miserable!

Josh
Crew Rest on long haul flights is an FAA requirement.

Why dont you apply to be an FA at AA and then maybe you will understand one day.

And AA agreed to this, and the unions didnt extort then nor ruin the company, those pesky unions took concessions to keep AA flying.

Josh

Looks like youre in the concession seat now.
Dont like it do you. Maybe the employee could give back a little more so AA can put a triple 7 back on that BOS LHR trip. NOT :D

I agree. Up front is just as comfortable as the 767. Coach is miserable!

It maybe the same seat but the cabin is smaller, overhead bins are fewer & smaller, less space to stretch my legs and no seats with direct aisle access that don't require seatmate in window seat to climb over. I like the DG seats on the 767 for this reason.

Crew Rest on long haul flights is an FAA requirement.

Why dont you apply to be an FA at AA and then maybe you will understand one day.

And AA agreed to this, and the unions didnt extort then nor ruin the company, those pesky unions took concessions to keep AA flying.

I have no interest working as a FA, and aside from the 30 Mandarin speakers for LAX AA isn't currently hiring. If you claim this is an FAA requirement why is it that your counterparts at DL and CO are able to make do with one (1) seat? On the CO 757, the pilot crewrest is a row of seats in Y. Before you get to your safety appeal about employee pay, benefits, and work rules I'm going to include it now. Don't get me wrong-for my safety, the safety of other passengers and crew, and the pilots wellbeing I want an experience, competent, attentive and well rested pilot but some of APAs demands are comical. For example, why do they need both the pilot crewrest bunks at door 1L AND seat 1A in 777 first class? On many of the NRT flights I often see four (4) cockpit crew on board, and while it maybe an FAA requirement I don't understand why they each need to tie up F seats.

Labor has had its time. The current generation isn't interested in joining unions or the labor movement. Just look at whats going on in Ohio, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Organized labor feels threatened as union membership rolls, leverage, influence continue to decline, and states succeed at extinguishing/restricting public workers' collective bargaining rights. Even as a lifelong Democrat, I have to respect the efforts of Chris Christie and Scott Walker for working to extinguish collective bargaining rights. It is unfortunate the Democratic party has tolerated labor this long and is being cowardly and unwilling to return to have the vote taken.

Looks like youre in the concession seat now.
Dont like it do you. Maybe the employee could give back a little more so AA can put a triple 7 back on that BOS LHR trip. NOT :D

I don't like it one bit. If AA can't be competitive they might as well just retreat. AA's relevance and leadership in Boston has diminished substantially in the past 3-5 years as we've lost routes, frequencies, and larger equipment. This is also a concession for the employees so I've heard. The FAs I've talked to said the 757 is highly undesirable to work on as there are fewer FAs on board (even relative to fewer PAX), inferior FA crew rest facility, smaller galley space, fewer lavs for pax to use, no duty free sales (FAs take a paycut from the commissions).

Josh

Labor has had its time. The current generation isn't interested in joining unions or the labor movement. Just look at whats going on in Ohio, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Organized labor feels threatened as union membership rolls, leverage, influence continue to decline, and states succeed at extinguishing/restricting public workers' collective bargaining rights. Even as a lifelong Democrat, I have to respect the efforts of Chris Christie and Scott Walker for working to extinguish collective bargaining rights. It is unfortunate the Democratic party has tolerated labor this long and is being cowardly and unwilling to return to have the vote taken.

Josh

Well stay tuned. Labor has failed many times in the past, Patco, the 2002-2005 Airline BK scam, the rape of the UAW, but now the very existance of collective bargaining is being threatened. Sure our leaders have let us down many times in the past but now they have something at stake as well, we may fight each other but we both will fight you because we know for sure where you stand. You may very well see this country's first ever "General Strike" in the not too distant future.

Sure you may say our numbers are low but look at where we are. The Seaports, Airports, Train Stations, Bus Depots, Subway Stations and truck stops. ALL UNIONIZED. Most require specialized skills that are not readily available. Even Deltas Pilots and Dispatchers are union. Despite our low numbers we can stop the economy cold.

In all these industries our rights have been compromised, whether its the RLA, the Taylor Law or any of the other laws we've seen over the years where our rights are restricted, in Wisconson we can see what the next step will be for the rest of us if we dont act.

We often hear that we should be thankful of the way we are treated compared to workers in India, well maybe the executives are the ones who should be thankful and take heed in their desire to grind us down to their level, they may not like the outcome.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/04/501364/main20039293.shtmlhttp://feeds.cbsnews.com/~r/CBSNewsStory/~3/ZoSXCeh-bbU/main20039293.shtml

Josh

You poor, poor, wittle baby. If you don't like the way AA does things, why not fly on another airline and quit your incessant whining? Are you really so stupid as to think anyone here can do a thing about your supposed discomfort? Are you really so silly to think this group would do anything to help you out even if we could?

Are you really a high school brat that's bored with sending suggestive messages to your teacher?

Go away, troll.

Reactions: 4 people