Boycott NW Airlines

proAMT

Advanced
Dec 3, 2005
SEA
Boycott Northwest Airlines,

Northwest Airlines has proven itself the absolute airline leader in the slash and burn department. Sure other airlines began the slashing but not to the extent that NW has been able to pull off. NW’s brazen actions have emboldened other airlines to follow their actions in a cascading effect of stripping their loyal workers of their pay, benefits, security. Other airlines are now gambling that their workers will not take the path AMFA took and give them the finger and walk out. They are contemplating throwing out their contracts and imposing conditions on their loyal workforce. The choice is simple-live on your feet or exist on your knees.

Sure, fuel prices are high but load factors are higher than they’ve ever been. Why must the loyal employees subsidize cheaper fares to the public at the expense of their family’s way of life? The airlines are using the fuel prices to get away with goals they have had for years. If we were all to stand together and get our message out to the public-companies such as NW would pay for their slash and burn, cutting and contracting out behavior. I believe that Northwest Airlines should be boycotted by anyone who cares about the American way of life. What has happened at NW is a cancer that is loose in this country. If we don’t make a stand somewhere we deserve what we (working people of this country) get.

I know all this sounds like idealist bull#### but to sit on our a$$es and not do anything at all is definitely the wrong course of action to take. Support the strikers at NW and support the strikers at any other corporation that decides to save money through slashing pay and benefits, and contracting out. Stand up for our way of life!
Boycott Northwest Airlines and tell your friends not to fly NW even if the are the only airline left with seats available this holiday season.

The hostile actions that NWA made towards AMFA was dead wrong and borderline criminal IMHO. I am truly sorry for the good men and women that lost out. However, it's time for you to either cross or move on. I for one, would never be a P.O.S. scab for any airline. Stop venting your frustrations with NWA and get a life dude...

Stand up for our way of life!
Boycott Northwest Airlines and tell your friends not to fly NW even if the are the only airline left with seats available this holiday season.
[/quote]

You guys have the right idea.

Get everybody to stop flying the airplanes that NWA leases.

Then NWA won't have any money to pay the leases and the airplanes will be sent to the desert graveyard.

THEN YOU'VE WON!!!!

NWA will be out of business.

Then you have stood up for your way of life.

Which is what???????????????

To live in a world that if you are willing to work hard enough, you have a chance to make a decent living. This is not a union non-union debate either. I guess we are supposed to compete with people who don't even have indoor plumbing. But keep saving, maybe by the time you are 75-80 you'll be ready to start a family.

Bagbelt:

We all live in a world where we can compete for jobs.

And yes, you are right that it is a not a union non-union issue.

Everytime I interviewed for a job, if the offered salary didn't fit my needs/desires, I went elsewhere.

If you don't need indoor plumbing, your needs aren't as great as someone who does need it.

If you want no family, your needs aren't as great as someone who needs a family of 20 children.

Who you compete with for a job has nothing to do with their needs or your needs. It's who wants the job.

If the job pays X dollars and that is less than what you need to have to pay your expenses, you can decline to take the job.

If someone else needs less money to pay their expenses, they can take the job.

No one is forcing you to take a job you don't want.

I don't know of anyone who had to provide a prospective employer with a personal Balance Sheet and P&L statement prior to the employer offering a specific salary for the job.

Why should someone with indoor plumbing, a large family, a bigger vehicle, a more expensive house or whatever deserve to get more money than someone who doesn't have those things?

There are no guarantees in life except that it ends.

How low are you willing to go Jim? The service economy will soon fail because there won't be anyone who can afford to buy the goods and services that are for sale. ALL the good paying jobs are being outsourced overseas. Just look at this christmas season. I made a pledge that all the gifts I bought would all be made the USA. You talk about a pledge that was extremely hard to keep! Hardly anything is made in the USA anymore. Luckily I was able to keep my pledge. Do you realize there is only ONE fishing reel manufacturer left in the USA:pENN REELS. An American made fishing rod is almost non existant, but I found one. This a just a small sample of the industries that have been completely outsourced to China. It's only a matter of time that you,JIM, get outsourced to China also.

Princess and others:

Most of you either don't understand it or won't admit it but there is now a global economy.

US companies must compete with companies from all over the world and so do US citizens.

Some of the problems with the US competing with people from other countries has been brought about by ourselves.

Most of us are "I want it all and I want it now" kind of people. We've done it to ourselves and in doing so we have priced ourselves out of many markets.

It seems as though I know when a teenager in my neighborhood turns 16. There is a new vehicle in the driveway.

I'm sure the parent is paying for the vehicle and at the same time is teaching the teen that "wants" are now "needs". What was once a luxury is now a necessity.
It's the first step in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" philosophy.

Another factor working against the US worker is work ethic.
People here are spoiled.

When I was working, I managed between 20 and 25 computer programmers.

At one time I had an opportunity to have several programmers from Singapore Airlines move here and work for me for about 2 years. They were SUPER workers. They took every assignment and ran with it. They were salaried but never looked at a clock. They worked long hours, weekends, whatever it took to complete the project and do it perfectly.

At the same time, I had a programmer from Great Britain working for me. She also worked on her own time to do the job and do it right.

So did all the rest of the people in my group.

They all had something that isn't seen much anymore - PRIDE in their jobs and what they did.

Pride in what you do is seriously waning anymore.

BUT, not in other countries. They haven't been corrupted by materialism.

They can do what is done in this country. But they can do it better, quicker and cheaper.

And in a global economy, they will win!

Boycotting NWA is like boycotting Wal-mart. It just isn't going to happen.

Just boycotting them because of SCABS like you doing half a$$ work on the a/c.

I will not non-rev on NW until all AMFA Mechanics are back to work.

Just boycotting them because of SCABS like you doing half a$$ work on the a/c.

I will not non-rev on NW until all AMFA Mechanics are back to work.
That's right. I've heard and talked to many friends, co-workers, and acquaintances that have traded in NWA tickets for another carrier, refused to be booked on NWA for company business, or just flat out avoided Scab Air entirely. No matter how cheap the ticket.

I'll walk before I risk my life on Scab Air junk. ;)

Yeah Jim, We sure are spoiled over here in the USA. It's spoiled to have weekends off or only put in 8 hours on the job. I guess you love to take your job home with you to your family and on your weekends also. Your so busy working when when do you take time off? I know when! It's when your heart quits and they send you to the county hospital. They have to send you to the county hospital because you don't have any heath insurance. Hope you like the soup line Jim because you're gonna experience the Greatest Depression real soon.

I know plenty of people I work with who are hard working and dedicated and have good ethics. I also know plenty of idiots. When people are losing their jobs in Mexico due to being outsourced to even cheaper labor, something is wrong. I will self sacrifice for my country and my family and what organisations I choose to belong to. I am not interested in living a sub-standard life for some faceless multinational. I am not tied to the airline industry, I'm in a regular trade. I will move on if I have to. I accept that globalisation is real and unstoppable. But other societies, including Asia but especially Europe, are considering the welfare of their own people before others. It's about time we do here as well, or the lessons of the first half of the 20th century will have been for nothing. Having a car in the driveway for your 16 year old means nothing if you don't own the driveway or the car.

Princess and others:

Most of you either don't understand it or won't admit it but there is now a global economy.

US companies must compete with companies from all over the world and so do US citizens.

Some of the problems with the US competing with people from other countries has been brought about by ourselves.

Most of us are "I want it all and I want it now" kind of people. We've done it to ourselves and in doing so we have priced ourselves out of many markets.

It seems as though I know when a teenager in my neighborhood turns 16. There is a new vehicle in the driveway.

I'm sure the parent is paying for the vehicle and at the same time is teaching the teen that "wants" are now "needs". What was once a luxury is now a necessity.
It's the first step in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" philosophy.

Another factor working against the US worker is work ethic.
People here are spoiled.

When I was working, I managed between 20 and 25 computer programmers.

At one time I had an opportunity to have several programmers from Singapore Airlines move here and work for me for about 2 years. They were SUPER workers. They took every assignment and ran with it. They were salaried but never looked at a clock. They worked long hours, weekends, whatever it took to complete the project and do it perfectly.

At the same time, I had a programmer from Great Britain working for me. She also worked on her own time to do the job and do it right.

So did all the rest of the people in my group.

They all had something that isn't seen much anymore - PRIDE in their jobs and what they did.

Pride in what you do is seriously waning anymore.

BUT, not in other countries. They haven't been corrupted by materialism.

They can do what is done in this country. But they can do it better, quicker and cheaper.

And in a global economy, they will win!

Actually comparing global workers to US employees is much more difficult than you make it out to be. For a start most Brits get 4 weeks holiday a year (I get 5 weeks) plus half a dozen bank holidays. You yanks get usually 2 weeks plus your public holidays. British healthcare is taken care of out of our taxation so we're less interested in the bennies offered by a company. Final salary pensions are pretty much history and we get paid less overall. I do however, get paid about 30% less than an American doing the same job but that is cancelled out by healthcare and the extra time off we get.

As a result we're more able to concentrate more on the job when we are on the job. And because we have no concept of seniority our performance dictates our income hence we have the incentive to be better and harder working than the next guy. Meritocracy is the way forward...

Sorry to take it so way off topic, but a bit more background was in order.

Latest posts