Boycott Opening Day Celebrations

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Gary Drummond put out a letter urging that we Boycott and merger Celebrations out there. His letter focuses of the fact that US management has been stalling for three years in Contract Negotiations. As I said to their management team last year "if you treat your current workers like crap why should we believe you will treat us any better".

I agree. We should boycott any opening day celebrations. What are we celebrating? The fact that the largest carrier in the world was built upon the ruins of our careers, our hopes and our dreams?

AA has us locked into a concessionary deal till the end of 2018, so that makes it at least 15 years of massive concessions which includes the loss of 75 days of Vacation, 150 Holidays, 105 sick days, at least $200,000 in wages, 40,000 jobs, the loss of our Pensions and retiree medical along with dozens of other concessions. We have already seen our Medical go up by 600%. In real terms our compensation has been slashed by over 50% and we are at a very distant last in the industry in every measure of compensation and work rules. From 2003 to 2013 AA saw their revenues soar, in other words the concessions from us were not even needed. Our concessions and in the increased revenues enriched Oil companies, Airports, Bankers and Shareholders of the companies that AA did business with (often one and the same) as they either jacked up their charges or continued collecting revenue on redundant assets (such as Folkers and terminal space in abandoned hubs). Then to top it off, AA sought the assistance of the Federal government to impose even more concessions on us after dragging out No-gotiations for three years,, with the help of some now gone Union officials they managed to intimidate just enough workers to accept six years of even more onerous concessions on top of the 9 they already got.

Sure those Union Officials and the old management team are no longer running the place, or so we are told, but the new management team has not treated their workers at US any better than the team at AA treated us. They took their employees through two rounds of BK and for three years have refused to put forth an offer that would bring their employees even close to what other carriers who also went through Bankruptcy are paying. Their suffering started in 2002 and they remain right next to us at the bottom of the industry 11 years later.

Without the Merger AA's legal team boasted in court that when they come out of Bankruptcy that they would be earning close top $3 billion a year in profits, that's with a carrier that would have been 28% smaller than what they have formed, and on top of paying the lowest wages with the worst benefits the NEW AA will remain the only carrier to not even offer their workers Profit Sharing.

There is nothing to celebrate for us, I would say that if anything we should be wearing black armbands. Sure we will be getting some Equity, but its only a small fraction of what they have taken, and will continue to take.

Reactions: 14 people
Its time for both AA and US workers to flex some muscle and force Doug to make Al Hemenway negotiate in good faith.

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
Go ahead and boycott. Leaves more munchies for everyone else.
I see your true colors come out once again.

Do you realize that this whole merger and having MOUs from US to AA's unions is a massive showing of disrespect to the US side?

It took EIGHT years for the AFA and US to reach a JCBA at US, the pilots still dont have one, and all three IAM groups are going on three years, yet Doogie goes behind everyone's back at US and settles with AA.

You are really inconsiderate, those US employees kept US in business with massive cuts either agreed to or forced on and its eight years post chapter 11 and the US employees want their fair share and the company refuses to give it.

And this is what happened to the food in PHX last week:

1471191_10152123408896155_1549075855_n.jpg

Hope the needy ate well.

Bob Owens said:
Gary Drummond put out a letter urging that we Boycott and merger Celebrations out there. His letter focuses of the fact that US management has been stalling for three years in Contract Negotiations. As I said to their management team last year "if you treat your current workers like crap why should we believe you will treat us any better".

I agree. We should boycott any opening day celebrations. What are we celebrating? The fact that the largest carrier in the world was built upon the ruins of our careers, our hopes and our dreams?

AA has us locked into a concessionary deal till the end of 2018, so that makes it at least 15 years of massive concessions which includes the loss of 75 days of Vacation, 150 Holidays, 105 sick days, at least $200,000 in wages, 40,000 jobs, the loss of our Pensions and retiree medical along with dozens of other concessions. We have already seen our Medical go up by 600%. In real terms our compensation has been slashed by over 50% and we are at a very distant last in the industry in every measure of compensation and work rules. From 2003 to 2013 AA saw their revenues soar, in other words the concessions from us were not even needed. Our concessions and in the increased revenues enriched Oil companies, Airports, Bankers and Shareholders of the companies that AA did business with (often one and the same) as they either jacked up their charges or continued collecting revenue on redundant assets (such as Folkers and terminal space in abandoned hubs). Then to top it off, AA sought the assistance of the Federal government to impose even more concessions on us after dragging out No-gotiations for three years,, with the help of some now gone Union officials they managed to intimidate just enough workers to accept six years of even more onerous concessions on top of the 9 they already got.

Sure those Union Officials and the old management team are no longer running the place, or so we are told, but the new management team has not treated their workers at US any better than the team at AA treated us. They took their employees through two rounds of BK and for three years have refused to put forth an offer that would bring their employees even close to what other carriers who also went through Bankruptcy are paying. Their suffering started in 2002 and they remain right next to us at the bottom of the industry 11 years later.

Without the Merger AA's legal team boasted in court that when they come out of Bankruptcy that they would be earning close top $3 billion a year in profits, that's with a carrier that would have been 28% smaller than what they have formed, and on top of paying the lowest wages with the worst benefits the NEW AA will remain the only carrier to not even offer their workers Profit Sharing.

There is nothing to celebrate for us, I would say that if anything we should be wearing black armbands. Sure we will be getting some Equity, but its only a small fraction of what they have taken, and will continue to take.
So you are going to boycott because of the "agreement" you guys voted on and passed?

Sounds like shooting yourself in the foot then complaining about the pain.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree but look at what we settled for. Why wouldnt Dougie settle? Hopefully you guys have higher expectations than bottom of the industry, if not then why would expect respect?

Are we ever going to find out what you guys are even asking for, we saw what UAL turned down, how about a little info on what you guys are asking for?
 Wage?
 Vacation?
 Holudays? 2x or 2.5X?
 Sick time?
 IOD?
 Training Pay?
 OT Rules?
 Uniform Allowance and Cleaning?
 Tool Allowance?
  Workboot allowance?
  Field Trip Rules?
 Or should we get ready to hear about how you do more work in house and want to keep it that way in exchange for crappy pay and benifits?

Reactions: 3 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
So you are going to boycott because of the "agreement" you guys voted on and passed?

Sounds like shooting yourself in the foot then complaining about the pain.
I think its safe to say that most of the people who remain voted against the deal. It passed by less than 50 votes and 20 times that took the Early out or were laid off. If the vote went out today it would fail. Some were duped by Jim Little and his team.

Reactions: 4 people
Bob, I have posted it numerous times, and it was out during the IBT campaign, I even quoted and replied to you and informed you and others what is being asked for.

Posted at least several times.

Funny US's AMTs still make a bit more than you at AA and the scope, benefits, vacation, pension are all better than what you agreed too.

And get off your high horse, US filed chapter 11 twice in less than two years, had a CBA abrogated in 2005, this is the first section 6 negotiations since 1999.

I know you are a smart man, but its time for you to start understanding what happened, US was in Chapter 11 twice, in 2002 and 2004 filings, you and your group gave concessions out of Chapter 11 in 2003, negotiated for several years and never got a new CBA and then AA pulls the Section 1113 C in bankruptcy and you have finally seen what its like.

Maybe you should have done a better job at AA and gotten a better CBA, oh wait you couldnt, but you expect everyone else in the industry too.  To time wake up and smell the coffee and use logic and facts instead of emotions.

It (your contract) does suck. You all should never have agreed to more than a three year deal.

It is amazing to me that it passed.

And when you say "you guys" , be aware that I do not work for USAir. Maybe Real Tired can answer your question.

Bob Owens said:
Maybe you will choke on it.
Nope, won't be anywhere near an airport, thankfully.

Boycotting something now won't make a bit of difference. You might as well go and enjoy the food -- you paid for it.

700UW said:
I see your true colors come out once again.

Do you realize that this whole merger and having MOUs from US to AA's unions is a massive showing of disrespect to the US side?
Yep. And I was opposed to the merger, too, if you bothered to pay attention. I think it's a bad deal for everyone involved.

But it's over. The deal is done. A boycott of free food won't change any of that.

The bigger issue is that Bob & others spend all their time pissing and moaning while looking in the rear view mirror.

That approach hasn't done squat for the employees at either airline. It's time for a new approach if you guys are ever going to get out of the holes your CBA's have put you in repeatedly.

Reactions: 5 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
It (your contract) does suck. You all should never have agreed to more than a three year deal.

It is amazing to me that it passed.

And when you say "you guys" , be aware that I do not work for USAir. Maybe Real Tired can answer your question.
I guess you do not know how the TWU and AA work together. The only thing between the two is which side of the bed they sleep on.

It will show the company the solidarity of the work force.

Right now US' is complaining that the US mechanic and related arent taking overtime, well in the CBA you cant be forced to work more than your 40 hours a week.

Seems the International operation is taking delays as are planes in heavy as they are not meeting their ETRs.

This is the process because no airline ever negotiates in good faith, I lived it for 20 years at US.