Brake Rides

Topcat187

Senior
Jun 25, 2012
So I understand the baggage handlers are now riding brakes at SWA. What is the position of the TWU on this? I guess they are ok with doing another unions work.

In case you didn't know our union has filed suit relating to this brake rider ruling. More to come...

Yes, i saw that they lost the arbitration, but are considering taking it to court according to the letter on Local 11's site.
I wasnt aware of the supertug arbitration that is also taking place until i read it on the Local 11 site.

Good luck! I think its a bunch of BS that the company would even fo that route.

That is correct, ramp supervisors at MDW were perfoming the duties of a brake rider.  The brake riding position is now contracted.

Sparky on the Seas said:
An example as to the importance to design CBA wording to minimize vague interpretation and " say what it means and mean what it says". The common sense that I see missing is not focusing on the way "brake riding" was defined. " The process of controlling the Aircraft " is not one left to just training of a non-certificated 'novice'. The individual tasked with that responsibility should have a thorough understanding of safety concepts, ie. APU fire procedures, and an understanding of theory, what is happening when I select this switch to 'on'? We expect the company to minimize the importance of safety to get what they want but how much 'weight' did the Union focus on it in their arguements?

Ohbee said:
That is correct, ramp supervisors at MDW were perfoming the duties of a brake rider.  The brake riding position is now contracted.
Contracted? Who's contract is it in?