Brancatellis Column/ Trustee Appointed ?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Joe Brancatellis latest column regarding US Airways.

I had seen it earlier this week from emails and was going to post it, but it was from a pay site. Since its now in USAToday, looks like its time for all to read. :up:

Excerpt-
It won't surprise you to learn that I think the men who crash-landed US Airways into bankruptcy court last week for the second time since 9/11 can't manage their way out of a carry-on bag.
But it may surprise you to learn that they agree with me. In fact, they have written the single most damning critique of themselves — of any airline management — that I have ever read.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Excellent article and powerful. Either managment is sadly stupid or keenly smart.

There is a little bit of a surprise in all the BK stuff to be shown for sure... I just hope all are ready for it when it raises it's ugly head.

I agree with his assesment that the judge should consider turning over the reins of the airline to a "trustee" to run the day to day business of the airline...

How about an airline executive, not a bunch of banker/investment types ?...

Who once made the statement..."We have met the enemy and they are us".....

Another vote of confidence that U will not only survive, but prosper :p

Miracles do happen and happen a miracle must to see any future U. Not a hard deduction to come to, if you are not part of U, otherwise the thought process has bias disturbances distorting rational reasoning.

Seems to me that the union leaders and creditors should ask that the judge consider a "Trustee" to work in the "best interests" of the airline the creditors & employees...That the current leadership is not anywhere close to turning this airline around, and that the time is running out..or has already run out....

What do you think? Or is this just a waiting game now, for the cash on hand to run out?... I don't think it will work if they try to involuntarily change payscales with union memberships of: pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, Reservation Agents, Ticket Agents, etc.....

Great idea, but whom? I think that if the unions got together, found an appropriate candidate, came up with an agreement and took it to the judge that there MIGHT be a chance.

Folks:

This article lays it out in plain english. We are here, as I have always claimed, because of the inompetent and inept management morons who truly don't know how to run an airline. They admit this in the BK filing as Joe has so deftly pointed out. However, what he leaves out is their inability to lead, motivate, or manage the people who work here. And when you couple those together you have our situation.

Now, the same morons are about to embark on an attempt to remake us into something the industry has never seen. Not a LCC, but a "hybrid". That hybrid engineered on the backs of employees who will be at or below the LCC wage scale and working conidtions. The company's 700 million in changes will happen as time permits. Well, my confidence in their ability to do that is right up there with the Red Sox winning the World Series. Not impossible but highly unlikely. Especially with these managers.

So, maybe, we need to ask the judge for a new trustee. Hinge our givebacks on Lakefield agreeing to bring in someone new. Like Bethune. I know its a far reach to think a judge would listen to any one employee group but imagine if we could all get together and speak with on voice. Maybe our leaders should have a meeting and attempt to find someone to run this airline.

mr

not even management. I think the key word is "trust"-ee. It should be someone from the outside with a financial background and no emotional ties to the issues.

As far as I'm concerned, the "Trustee" issue is really two questions.

1 - A court-appointed trustee would, of necessity, look out for the interests of the creditors. In that respect, survival of the company would require pretty massive short term cost reductions. In this context, ALPA's advisors say that the company's $295 million "ask" is really $305 million savings in the first year and an average of $355 million over the next 4 years (from the current contract)

2 - Given the cash position the company is in, is there time to make meaningful changes before the cash runs out (or gets to the point that the best solution for the creditors is liquidation, more accurately).

Jim