Bronner Pulled The Plug On Siegel

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Thursday, April 22, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In the end, David Siegel's resignation as chief executive officer of US Airways was David Bronner's decision to make.

The US Airways chairman, worried about the deteriorating relationship between his CEO and the airline's 28,000 employees, made up his mind Monday morning, calling for a one-on-one meeting with the 42-year-old Siegel at a hotel near Mobile, Ala. The two men were there for a series of US Airways board meetings that began Sunday evening and lasted through Tuesday.

In a conversation described as gentlemanly, the head of the Alabama state pension fund that owns a controlling stake in US Airways said that for the airline to break a logjam between labor and management and achieve another round of concessions, Siegel would have to step aside.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04113/304427.stm

I guess Bronner finally figured out what the rest of the world has known for months: Siegel is a l-o-s-e-r of an executive. Not good at operational stuff, not good at strategic planner, no leadership acumen, and apparently not much of a number cruncher.

Lakefield's history indicates that he probably has the leadership and numbers routine down, now what he really needs is an operations guy to run the joint. Prey for somebody from outside the Palace.

ClueByFour said:
I guess Bronner finally figured out what the rest of the world has known for months: Siegel is a l-o-s-e-r of an executive. Not good at operational stuff, not good at strategic planner, no leadership acumen, and apparently not much of a number cruncher.

Lakefield's history indicates that he probably has the leadership and numbers routine down, now what he really needs is an operations guy to run the joint. Prey for somebody from outside the Palace.
Right on clue. I am going to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt....after all, he, for all intents, got ride of worthless Dave. The mark of a true leader is one who surrounds him/herself with competent people. Getting rid of worthless Dave was a start, let us see what happens. Good luck. Greeter.

Greeter,

The rest of the team are all right here. So, what's changed?

No Labor group really knows Lakefield. Being Bronner's best friend and soul mate are not ingredients to operate an airline specifically this one. Excuse me for being just a tad hesitant in throwing support.

I was hoping the Director of C/S would be promoted to an Officer position. From my perch, he is a man of great fair-minded logic, integrity and vision. And is an excellent strategist as well.

CLue get a clue... Daves not here anymore, find someone new to complain about. He mad it very clear he wanted to be here. Bronner did and I bet still does have faith in him . His problem was he couldnt get along with the little ole union leaders. Who can? They doing do oppisite things, lets be real.At any rate hes gone so try someone else now. That horse is beat enough.

Good point fliboi. After all, nobody bad-mouths Wolf aroune here anymore. Oh, wait, yes they do.

usfliboi said:
CLue get a clue... Daves not here anymore, find someone new to complain about. He mad it very clear he wanted to be here. Bronner did and I bet still does have faith in him . His problem was he couldnt get along with the little ole union leaders. Who can? They doing do oppisite things, lets be real.At any rate hes gone so try someone else now. That horse is beat enough.
Lets see usfliboi,

The union leaders did not terminate the pilot't pension, the union leaders did not furlough pilots and F/As wrong, the union leaders did not farm out the airbus work to AL, the union leaders did not violate their own CBAs to a tune of several hundred outstanding grievances.

Dave is gone, find a new god to worship.

Get a backbone.

The trade unions are the legitimate outgrowth of modern society and industrial conditions. … They were born of the necessity of workers to protect and defend themselves from encroachment, injustice and wrong. … To protect the workers in their inalienable rights to a higher and better life; to protect them, no only as equals before the law, but also in their health, their homes, their firesides, their liberties as men, as workers, and as citizens; to overcome and conquer prejudices and antagonism; to secure to them the fight to life; the right to be full sharers in the abundance which is the result of their brain and brawn, and the civilization of which they are the founders and the mainstay; to this the workers are entitled. … The attainment of these is the glorious mission of the trade unions.
Samuel Gompers, speech, 1898

Siegel was asked to resign, sources say

CEO, chairman both agreed move would help smooth labor talks

TED REED

Staff Writer

Although he told US Airways employees in late March that he wanted to lead the airline's fight to survive, chief executive David Siegel four weeks later agreed to the chairman's suggestion that he resign, sources say.

The resignation came Monday morning at a meeting between Siegel and airline Chairman David Bronner that preceded an afternoon board meeting. Neither Siegel nor Bronner would comment.

Siegel was replaced by Bruce Lakefield, Bronner's longtime friend and confidant.

Bronner suggested that Siegel step aside to make it easier to negotiate concessions of hundreds of millions of dollars from the airline's unions, said sources familiar with the principals. They spoke on the condition they not be named.

Siegel, who was entitled to collect a multimillion-dollar severance package if he left by April 30, concurred with the suggestion.

"Bronner can't change the union leadership," a source who spoke with Bronner said. "So then it's a matter of `How do I initiate something to break the logjam?'

"It was all very gentlemanly, very orderly," the source said. "It was done in the context of here's what's best for the company, with (Siegel's) full participation."

Siegel was not expecting that his resignation would be discussed, but he was not surprised, the source said. "He was disappointed (because) he came here to do a job. His desire was to ride this out," the source said.

No longer a board member, Siegel didn't attend the Monday afternoon meeting in a hotel near Mobile, Ala. Retirement Systems of Alabama, which Bronner heads, is the airline's principal shareholder.

After his resignation, Siegel joined Lakefield in calling key stakeholders -- including Bank of America, the Air Transportation Stabilization Board and GE Capital -- to tell them of the change. A public announcement was delayed until late Monday afternoon so the phone calls could be completed.

It's far from clear how much of an impact the change will actually have on labor talks.

The powerful pilots' union has said it is far more comfortable with Lakefield than with Siegel, but other unions have seemed less impressed. Various union leaders have said they welcome Siegel's departure -- but remain unwilling to make concessions.

For instance, the International Association of Machinists, which represents mechanics, baggage handlers and other workers, "believes we can help the carrier without requiring our contract to be amended," spokesman Joe Tiberi said. And Teddy Xidas, president of the Pittsburgh local of the Association of Flight Attendants, said: "If the plan is the same, what's the difference?"

Pilots believe that with Lakefield replacing Siegel, "trust is no longer an issue," said Jack Stephan, spokesman for the US Airways chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association.

"It will at least be easier for other unions to listen to what this man has to say," he said. Siegel lost the pilots' trust because he made conflicting statements on various issues such as the pilots' pension plan and other contract matters, he said.

Vast differences between Bronner and Siegel likely contributed to the change, Stephan said. He called Bronner "a corporate Robin Hood (who) doesn't like anybody in corporate America making sweetheart deals at the expense of labor. He takes great pride in representing the pensions of bus driver and policemen and people like that."

By contrast, Stephan said, Siegel is "a Harvard mathematician (who) loved running an airline but missed the human element. Not that Dr. Bronner doesn't see the numbers, but somehow when Bronner and Lakefield see the color of the ink, they also see the texture of the people involved."

The severance package may also have been a factor. The decision to go was probably an easy one, said analyst Helane Becker of brokerage firm Benchmark Co. "He got paid a lot of money," Becker said.

Siegel was entitled to the package only if he left in April, according to an agreement negotiated before Retirement Systems of Alabama became principal owner of the airline. The package has been valued at about $4.5 million, including three times Siegel's annual salary of $600,000 and a prorated annual bonus. Siegel may also receive noncash compensation linked to the performance of US Airways stock. The full amount will not be disclosed until the release of the annual proxy statement in 2005, the company said.

Siegel, 42, is expected to take some time off before deciding on his next move. Before joining US Airways in March 2003, he worked for Continental Airlines and Avis Rent-A-Car.

Siegel spent Wednesday and Thursday at US Airways' headquarters in Arlington, Va., clearing out the office that Lakefield will eventually occupy.

PITbull said:
Greeter,

The rest of the team are all right here. So, what's changed?

No Labor group really knows Lakefield. Being Bronner's best friend and soul mate are not ingredients to operate an airline specifically this one. Excuse me for being just a tad hesitant in throwing support.

I was hoping the Director of C/S would be promoted to an Officer position. From my perch, he is a man of great fair-minded logic, integrity and vision. And is an excellent strategist as well.
Pitbull....who is the Director of C/S?? (Assuming C/S is Customer Service?)

700UW said:
I believe she is talking about Donna Paladini?
From my perch, he is a man of great fair-minded logic, integrity and vision.

I hope not and don't think so with the reference to the "He" in her post. I'm not sure if you've seen Ms. Paladini or not but if you haven't trust me you can't confuse her with a he!! She's quite a looker! :D

"Vast differences between Bronner and Siegel likely contributed to the change, Stephan said. He called Bronner "a corporate Robin Hood (who) doesn't like anybody in corporate America making sweetheart deals at the expense of labor. He takes great pride in representing the pensions of bus driver and policemen and people like that."

Uh, was that the Brooklyn Bridge or the Queensboro that I saw a for sale sign on the other day? Does this guy honestly believe Bronner wasn't behind every bate and switch action Siegel took? Does he forget that it was Bronner who came to labor and threated to liquidate the airline if we didn't go along with round two of concessions? I hate to be the first to burst anyone's bubble, but Bronner is far from labor friendly, and I am afraid that Lakefield may prove to be just window dressing.

MrAeroMan said:
From my perch, he is a man of great fair-minded logic, integrity and vision.

I hope not and don't think so with the reference to the "He" in her post. I'm not sure if you've seen Ms. Paladini or not but if you haven't trust me you can't confuse her with a he!! She's quite a looker! :D
Maybe not after all. Looks like you haven't seen Connie and Carla yet.