Business executives take flight

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Time and convenience are major reasons that executives may shell out six figures or more to buy and fly their own aircraft instead of relying on commercial airlines.

Wayne Riser, who flies often to supervise his far-flung hotels and Culver's franchises, said the high cost of a plane isn't the most important thing.

"It's not what an airplane costs you, it's what an airplane can make you," said Riser, who also serves as Culver's corporate pilot. "If you look at the time value, they will more than return themselves."

Saving time and the convenience of flying yourself have become important since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and airline cutbacks have made commercial flying less convenient.

"The plane I've got really can save me time on the road," said David Stauffacher, founder of Exel Inns, who's been flying his own plane for 30 years. "I used to haul the kids and the family with me."

A business trip that might take a day in your own plane could take two or three days on a commercial airline, said Don Wahlin, president and chief executive of Stoughton Trailers.

"You control your own time," he said.

All three executive pilots are based at the Wisconsin Aviation terminal of the Dane County Regional Airport.

Riser, who owns a Piper Malibu, said he started flying in 1976 when he had a concrete business in Minnesota. He acquired a second business five hours away and drove a pickup truck between them.

"One day I didn't have time to drive, so I hired a guy to fly me," he said. "He asked if I wanted to learn. I got the (flying) disease and for me it's incurable."

Wisconsin State Journal

Latest posts