Bye-bye Bobby!

PurduePete

Senior
Jun 15, 2006
http://www.startribune.com/1778/story/553356.html

After 12 years representing workers at Northwest Airlines, IAM District President Bobby DePace was voted out of office Friday, as union members signaled their displeasure with the recent employment contract that will cut their pay by 11.5 percent and eliminate about 645 jobs.
DePace, president of District 143 for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, was defeated by Stephen Gordon. The vote totals were not disclosed.

Gordon, a ramp, baggage and cargo handler in Detroit, joined the IAM in 1990 and is the president of the Detroit Air Transport Local Lodge 141.

Gordon said Friday that although he thought new leadership was needed, DePace had provided solid leadership.

"I can assure you that the negotiators did the best possible job that they could with this contract. These are terrible times in the aviation industry," he said.

DePace said IAM members were "very angry and very upset" with their recent contract, which they felt forced to ratify in order to avoid harsher terms and heavier job cuts that Northwest had threatened as part of its bankruptcy proceedings.

The IAM members couldn't retaliate against Northwest CEO Doug Steenland or other managers, "so they feel like they have to take it out on us," DePace said.

"This was the best of a bad deal. Nobody's happy with this contract," said DePace, whose current full-time union job expires in October. He then probably will return to the bag handling/ramp worker job he held at Northwest 12 years ago, he said.

DePace is the second labor leader at Northwest to be removed from office in recent weeks. Mark McClain, the head of the pilots union, lost his chairmanship last month. Like DePace, McClain had negotiated a concessionary contract that also was approved by his union's members.

The flight attendants at Northwest, meanwhile, cast their lot with a new union this month after rejecting an concessionary labor deal. Sixty-two percent of the members of the Professional Flight Attendants Association voted to replace their union with the Association of Flight Attendants, an AFL-CIO union representing attendants at 20 airlines.

IAM members, who handle bags and push planes back from gates, voted in Gordon to a four-year term as president. Also elected were Candice Hendrickson, vice president for Minneapolis-St. Paul and the Upper Midwest; Steve Dunn, secretary-treasurer, and Vickie Cheek, trustee.

your contract could have been a lot worse. just study USAIR's contract, in particular the sick pay. Good luck to you IAM members and the rest of the unionized employees. Just wondering why Gordon would make a statement that he got a best of a bad situation? did he ever hear of STRIKE like what AMFA is doing?

http://www.startribune.com/1778/story/553356.html

"This was the best of a bad deal. Nobody's happy with this contract," said DePace, whose current full-time union job expires in October. He then probably will return to the bag handling/ramp worker job he held at Northwest 12 years ago, he said.

Dear Bobby,

Please bid my station...As your crew chief, I promise I'll take "real good" care of you....I might even let you out of the lav truck or DC9 bin once in awhile....

Poor Booby DeScab, lost his sellout position because he lacks the fortutude to stand up for his membership. Instructed his members to become scabs and perform struck work for Scab Air. More than likely he'll end up being "appointed" to some iam bootlicker position so he can still collect his six-figure retirement. Nothing but a scab lovin' coward.

Don't go away mad Booby, just go away. :ph34r:

Well Booby...back to DCA to work alonside all your ramp buddies. I'm certain they will welcome you with open arms. I wonder how you will make the adjustment to working for a pay reduction you negotiated...justice perhaps is not blind after all :lol: .

Actually LGA, where his son is just as useless and lazy. <_< He has already said though that he will just outright retire. I guess he knows his fat ass would be :up: "accidentally" :up: locked in the bin of a 9 and sent back to MSP the first day he showed his crooked, lying, worthless carcass. Ah well, at least he has his IAM retirement and the payoffs from NW for selling out the membership to support himself in his new home in MN. :down:

Latest posts