Cactus call sign

rjh

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
Great news from the Merger FAQ's on Compass. Seems like we will start to see new flight numbers soon. I know we already have duplicates out there (ie, both sides operate a Flight 7 to ORD). I also wonder if this means that the ICAO designator used by ATC (USA or AWE) will be the same for all flights?

Q. I’ve heard that senior management has confirmed that the new airline will continue to use the Cactus call sign. Any truth to this?
A. Earlier this week, Captain Ed Bular, vice president of Flight Operations, met with pilots during the Crew News session at the Phoenix Flight Center. As part of that session, Captain Ed said that “although it’s in heavy pencil – and not quite ink, yet – we’ve decided to move forward with the Cactus call sign for the combined airline.†So it’s not completely finalized, but it’s true, we’re moving forward with the Cactus call sign. As a follow-up to this question, we asked Captain Ed when we might expect to see the new call sign go systemwide and he indicated that it would be in the fall at the earliest. We have to synchronize all of the flight numbers before we can move to a single call sign.

So much for the "flag" idea. Why do we have to pick something that preferences one identity over another?

It just gives more ammo to the nuts who want nothing short of a culture war.

Not a chance , nobody knows what a cactus is in the caribbean or europe. nice try though!!!!!!

So much for the "flag" idea. Why do we have to pick something that preferences one identity over another?

:shock:

That is a good question that I doubt you will ever get a honest answer to.

All I can say is, expect more of these types of decisions and get ready for the culture war.

linemech

It's not a culture war at all, it's common sense use the most common call sign that recognized most!!!!

Not a chance , nobody knows what a cactus is in the caribbean or europe. nice try though!!!!!!

Wouldn't worry about the recognition much. Granted, the Cactus call sign would take a period of time to catch on, but the controllers will figure it out.

I'm currently furloughed from the East side and would love to see the USAIR call sign remain, (I can't think of any ICAO AIR call signs left) but I don't think it's really that big of a deal.

Was flying in Asia with Arrow Air (DC8's freight), they didn't know the call sign, but we got by....called us Alpha Papa Lima 200 instead of "Big A" 200.

After flying the same routes over and over, some of the controllers figured out we were "Big A".

It's not a culture war at all, it's common sense use the most common call sign that recognized most!!!!
A call sign isn't really "recognized" outside the industry. Its basic purpose is for communcation between pilots and ATC. Using Cactus will not detract from our "brand identity" or anything like that.

It's just cooler sounding than "USAir".

CactUS.

A good combination if you think about it, IMO.

And I would venture to say that a cactus is known across the world. ;)

the only "cool" one was "Clipper". Cactus is down there with Critter. I hope this is a late April Fools.

Great, now we will be the only Legacy carrier with the little "cutsie" call sign. I guess that will fit with the name tag on the wings, business casual uniforms coming soon to a crew room near you.

Make the call sign "Hobo Wyoming Slim" for all I care as long as the on time performance is there.
piney, i mean no disrespect to you because i generally like your posts and i appreceate all the business you have done with our airline but please stay out of this one. this is an employee thing not a customer thing. we will make sure our planes are ontime for you my friend.