Caf Demanding "royalty" Payment

Jan 16, 2004
Just read a thread from Leading Edge Decals of Calgary that the Canadian Armed Forces will now demand a royalty for every decal sheet produced with Canadian military marking.

Not many years ago there were virtually no Canadian military decals available to the model builders and now here we go again. Leading Edge has been producing some of the best decals ever seen and now they are stopping production of Canadian subjects.

I don't know how much the small minded idiots in the crystal palace in Ottawa are demanding but they will not be able to finance their defence shortfall on the backs of the few thousand decal sheets sold in Canada...and I might add that no other military in the world does something this stupid.

Many modellers provide accurate replicas of Canada's aviation heritage for our museums and thois will dry up pretty soon when markings are no longer available.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Tax this fools

Perhaps the fromewr CEO of VIa has taken over here. I would suggest a massive email campaign to Dnd about this crap plus comment to all RCAF Associations etc.

Minister of Defense J Pratt [email protected] would be a good place to start.

This is what I sent the Minster of Defense

Dear Sir,

A recent decision by The Department of Intellectual Property (a department of DND) has decided that all model kits and decals be subjected to a royalty payment.

No other air force in the world charges a royalty for decals used to denote an aircraft, ship or vehicle that has been constructed as a model. The poor perception of the Canadian Airforce by Canadians will be further magnified by the omission of Canadian logos from modelling kits sold across Canada as the principle manufacturer of these decal kits has suspended production.

I feel that this 2-bit means of attempting to procure what could only be described as pennies in royalties will ensure that the kids of today will grow playing with US Airforce F-18s, Royal Airforce C130s or Hawks and perhaps Japanese AirForce CF104s.

Sir, this type of stupidity can only be prevented at your level. Please smack some sense into whatever “dim-witâ€￾ came up with this idea like your Prime Minister did into the former head of Via Rail

Sincerely,

Graunch1...I've sent a letter to DND and it was not sugar coated! Hopefully this will be stopped. Many of us building models of Canadian military subjects provide a 3-D history of aviation in this country and when we run out of a sourse of decal markings we'll be in trouble...and I agree with your comments about the future of Canadian kids and teir toys....what CDN air force????

Barney

I also just sent the same thing to the Conservative Defense Critic - waste of time dealing with the uniformed civil servants running DND

I would suppose that they will set up an office to monitor the Decal situation and staff it with a Col. ( if not a General) and a staff of 3 or 4 hundred people. Doubtless a new building will be needed and a monthly Decal Report will be published ( 200 pages in colour ).
No thought to the recruiting tool that models are. They should distribute them for free at Airshows and recruiting Offices.
I wonder how many meetings and conferences there were ( and expenses involved) to come up with this command decision?
I would love to meet the genius who brought the decal crisis to the attention of the High Priced Help. His promotion to higher command levels is, no doubt, pending.
Are they going to charge on a cost recovery basis? - Nice model of the CF104 - You owe $97,000 for the decals.
The mind boogles!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta love these people. - Aim carefully and shoot yourself in the foot!!!!

Check out www.finescale.com for a good modeling sight.

I just received an email from Dave Koss, Leading Edge Models of Calgary. He confirms that he has been fingered by someone at Cold Lake and this brought down the DIPpy copywrite nonsense from some female civil servant who does not even know what a model decal is !!!!!!!!!! I received an email from another "quote the rules" type female who suggested that if I have any further questions, that I refer them to the first DIPpy.

It is time the military started running a military and get rid of CSs who know s#$% about anything.

It looks like someone at the Kool Pool has a bug up his butt over Dave Koss' products which, I might add are the best in the hobby industry.

Barney

Latest posts

Back