Can He Do This?

Woodbird

Dec 6, 2003
Long-time reader, new to posting. This article was posted yesterday in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review...s/s_168409.html

Quote:
"Siegel is likely to reinvoke a war-time clause in labor agreements that allow management to defer 5 percent of pay for up to 18 months, said Robert Mann Jr., head of R.W. Mann & Co., an airline consultancy on Long Island. He did so last March after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, but lifted it in July.

With the Iraqi conflict still raging, Mann said, Siegel could defer pay again. Based on 2002 personnel costs, that would save more than $160 million next year -- well over half what the CEO is targeting.

'It's inevitable he'll come back for that 5 percent. Maybe more," Mann said. "The low-hanging fruit is labor costs. (But) they have to try to do it consentually.'"

Is this possible?

Nope!

Not possible. The contract language with regard to IRAQ war was a one-time give; not a revolving line of deferment, interest free loan to the company for any act of war or terrorism to infinity...

Anything else would have to be negotiatied and that is IF any group will come to the table. For new management? Possibly. For this one? Nope.

We all have a 2% "snap back" in wages starting in January 2004, however, at the same time Medical contributions for the employees climb 15% across the board.

Management is "sniffing" the employees now and looking for blood. They were never planing to give us anything back in retrospect. Our bottom half employees are not surviving financially that are still on the property. Wage concessions just can't happen. However, I believe management should give up their bonuses through 2008. Cut back on the perks. No senior management and family members should fly "space positive" first class. Never bump a paying pax for management vacation time.

In my book, 60% of the VPs have got to go or change their titles to Directors and lower the pay grade if they want to keep their jobs. If not; see ya. We've had to do it.

The AFA Local President and Vice (only) handles 1175 flight attendants in Pittsburgh, Domestic and ITD Divisions. While back at the airport ranch, there are 8 supervisors and 1 base manager, responsible for the same amount of f/as.
The AFA PIT local President is the ONLY full time in office personnel.

If the PIT president can downsize an office and operate, SO SHOULD MANAGEMENT.

Hi Pitbull. I agree with your post except for one thing: a new ceo is not getting any more concessions from me. Let him try to make a go with the $2billion Dave already got. This seems to be the m.o. for U: Scoefield can't wring anything from labor so we bring in Wolfe, listen to his song and dance and then he screws us. Wolfe loses all credibility, we bring in labor friendly Dave, we let him screw us TWICE then he loses all credibility. Now we might give more for a new ceo? Sorry. I can't afford it. If we do it again, where does it end? My wife used to work for another carrier that is no longer in business, and she says that until we tell them no, they'll keep coming back for more. It's sink or swim time for management. My days of giving at the office are over.

crazyincanton

I hear to agree to that! I refuse to give up any more o fmy pay. It is now difficult to raise my 17 month old son on my own with the crappy pay that I am getting along with the raised union dues. I have long been searching for a new job but have yet to find one! If the gangsters of ccy cant do what they were originally suppose to do, which is try to run an airline w/o concessions, then they must go! Let or should say they should be forced to give a full 100% of their pay!

I voted "NO" for the last concessions and surely would not give any to another management team. Let 'em close the doors. End the suffering for everyone.

amen to that- I've never voted for any givebacks-they end up taking.

FYI- SW has a new contract-agents top off @ $25.00 PER HR!

unsure after how many years.all full time.

US make all the threats- YA AINT GETTIN' ANY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

that article and a similar one in the post-gazette had just about every possible scenario you could dream up.all baloney......reopen vendor contract...think they'd go for that again??all bk pipe dreams.