Can This Happen Here

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Swissair shares rise 10% as 3,000 jobs cut
By William Hall in Zurich
Published: September 24 2001 09:10GMT | Last Updated: February 28 2002 15:16GMT

Swissair, Switzerland's struggling national airline , is to cut its long-haul fleet by a quarter and merge its short haul operations with Crossair, its low-cost sister company, in a bid to stave off bankruptcy.

It is also laying off immediately at least 3,000 of its 30,000 staff at Gate Gourmet, its airline catering unit as a result of the 'dramatic drop' in air travel following the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

Following the merger announcement Crossair's shares were suspended on the Swiss stock exchange on Monday until 12 GMT at the company's request. Crossair shares were up 5.3 per cent at SFr200 before the suspension. Shares reopened up at SFr203.

Investors reacted to Swissair's restructuring measures pushing the share price up SFr4.60 to SFr51.60 in morning trading.

Swissair's decision to substantially shrink the size of its flagship airline, which serves 210 destinations in 75 countries, and take the axe to Gate Gourmet, its biggest non-airline unit, follows the Swiss government's decision to help organise a private sector bailout of the Swissair group which employs 70,000 people around the world.

Mario Corti, the ex-Nestlé finance chief brought in to rescue Swissair last March, said that the company is working closely with the Swiss government and the business community to find a solution to its problems.

The Swiss government has appointed Ulrich Bremi, 71, a former chairman of the Swiss Re insurance giant, to formulate a public/private sector rescue plan in time for October 10.

Swissair, which has SFr15bn ($9.5bn) of debt and just SFr555m of equity, says that it urgently needs an equity injection if it is to realise the benefits of the proposed fundamental restructuring of its airline operations.

André Dose, Crossair's chief executive, has been appointed chief executive of Swiss Air Lines, a newly-formed division, with immediate effect, and will draw up a detailed restructuring plan within a month.

The decision to give the top airline job to Crossair's Mr Dose rather than Beat Schar, chief executive of the much bigger Swissair, underlines the scale of the cultural revolution underway in Swissair, one of Switzerland's more bureaucratic institutions.

Swissair has always operated at arms length from Crossair, its smaller quoted rival, and its pilots are much better paid than Crossair's pilots. Hence the decision to hand over operational control to the more entrepreneurial Crossair could lead to some resistance amongst the more conservative elements inside Swissair.

The new airline will build on Crossair's approach of providing a high quality product whilst implementing a 'significantly lower cost model' than Swissair.

It will focus primarily on European point-to-point premium traffic whilst retaining and enhancing service on profitable long haul routes.

Swissair will continue to operate long-haul routes to parts of Asia where it is already a strong carrier as well as the Middle East and Africa. It will also continue to serve key destinations in North America relevant to the Swiss business community.

Swissair intends to reduce its transfer traffic from 60 per cent to less than 40 per cent by 2004 at the latest.

Swissair's decision to take its axe to its long-haul fleet, and hand over operational control to Crossair, Europe's biggest regional airline, marks the end of its ambitions to create a rival group to European airline giants such as British Airways, Germany's Lufthansa and Air France.

Significantly Swissair's statement this morning made no mention of the group's Qualiflyer airline alliance which was supposed to be Swissair's answer to rival airline alliances such as British Airways' One World and Lufthansa's Star Alliance.

Swissair was already suffering severe financial problems prior to this month's US terrorist attacks as it disentangled itself from the previous discredited management's hugely ambitious expansion plans which cost the group SFr3.7bn last year and wiped out most of its equity.

from what you've claimed...no.you have said
MDA operates on the mainline ticket which would be useless in 7.
unless of course as i've intimated all along,they pull the potomac certificate out of a hat and viola!

They can buy the certificate in bankruptcy too, Crossair did not operate large jets before they bought swissair.

Aside from the operating certificate, is MDA set up as a seperate corporate entity (like the W/O'ed)? I don't think so, but could easily be mistaken.

Jim

Bob,

The ops certificate is an airlines authority to operate air service "for hire" and specifies what aircraft it can operate (among many things). Originally, MDA was to have it's own ops certificate and be the 4th W/O'ed. Presumably that stemmed from back in the attempted merger with UAL when MDA was going to be the vehicle to dispose of some DCA slots and sold to the guy that started BET. That changed either late in BK or after emerging, and MDA ended up on mainline ops cert.

Jim

Jim,

Potomac Air was the W/Oed that was set up to have its certificate transfered to DCAir, MDA was not even in the planning as DCAir was done under Wolf and Gangwal, not Siegel.

MDA did not come into existance until Siegel came on board.

They took some of Piedmont's Dash 8s to set it up.

You're exactly right - thanks for correcting my obviously faulty memory.

Jim

No problem, your posts bring valuble inormation to the boards.

We all have a faux paux once in awhile.

Seems like the older I get, the more "senior moments" I have. Now where am I and what was I doing.... :huh:

Jim

Well, if you consider "now" a relative term, it's certainly possible to get a separate ops certificate and a separate corporate structure set up, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Jim

WTF?? The posted article was published nearly three years ago!

Articles like that have to be tracked down, and the OP obviously was searching for a published item with a specific message to bolster his own cause.

And all this speculation "could it happen to us" reminds me of one of the chipster's fabled threads about which assets US was going to pick off from their ElkGroveVillage-based partner.

HOGWASH!

Stop looking over your shoulder because they are gaining on you!

Positive action only folks! And 700UW owes the board an apology for falsely inciting unrest.

Well, it happened at Swiss 3 years ago. I think 700US was asking for opinions as to whether something similiar could happen to us in the future, i.e., MDA absorbing all except long-haul flying.

Jim