Can''t We File Bankruptcy Also?

ZMAN777

Advanced
Aug 23, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Please tell me this was written in jest! If not, then what color is the sky in your world?

Cheers,
Z

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 3:55:08 PM ZMAN777 wrote:

Please tell me this was written in jest! If not, then what color is the sky in your world?

Cheers,
Z
----------------
[/blockquote]

Oh come on! Don't just complain pal,

Today, in my part of the world the sky is blue with high cirrus coulds.

WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION?

This is a question for all you legal hounds...
If ALL employees of the industry declare enough is enough as stage an industry wide walkout, then the Judge orders us to stop, then we continue, then the Judge fines us, then we refuse to pay...
First, what is the Government really going to do about it? Jail Us? Not likely, who would run the tranpsportation system then?
Second, why can't ALL unions and members use the Bankruptcy Judge in this case also to relieve ourselves of any monetrary penalties?
Could it be time for ALL Airline Industry Unions to lay their bank accounts on the line for our cause for a change? What good is a Labor Coalition if your not going to use it?
In other words,
What is there really to fear if we decided to show everyone as an industry wide group who is really in charge?
Think about the Venuzuela National Oil Strike and tell me when you have had enough of these threats and shafts on our lives.
If we rely on the AFL-CIO or the Politicians, we are sure to lose. There is only one way out of this mess!
I get the feeling the Bankruptcy Laws favor individuals and unions as well as corporations. So let's all meet in the Bankruptcy Judge's chambers after we determine who is in control.
Comments and Opinions welcomed.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 4:13:49 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Go ahead and walk. Yes, solidarity IS your problem.

Yeah, you show everyone "who is really in charge" --- but first you've all got to give up discounted flight benefits.

Then maybe you'll understand how your customers think....

(P.S. for someone with over 400 posts you should know better )
----------------
[/blockquote]
who in the He-L took this type of job for the flight bennies?..[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 4:13:49 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Yeah, you show everyone "who is really in charge" --- but first you've all got to give up discounted flight benefits.

(P.S. for someone with over 400 posts you should know better )
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't hold back. Tell us your relation to the industry and it's problems? Customer? Employee? Management? What is your stake here anyway?

(P.S. for someone with over 400 posts you should know better

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 4:34:40 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Didn't the air traffic controllers try to show the world "who was in charge" back in the early 80's?
----------------
[/blockquote]

You think o'le Bush could replace 100's of thousands of airline workers? How many ATC's were there anyway?

I call your bluff!

You're assuming that there would be solidarity...

Think Congress would order people back to work? Hardly. A walk-out would simply solve the over-capacity problem.

As for using bankruptcy as a way to avoid fines, don't forget that the APA didn't declare bankruptcy as a way of avoiding their $40M damages or contempt of court fines. There's a reason for that.

Bankruptcy is used to wipe out debts, but can't be used to avoid 1) court fines, 2) alimony, 3) child support, 4) income taxes*, 5) student loans*, or 6) drunk-driving penalties

* Under most circumstances, but there are exceptions which allow income tax liabilities and /or student loans to be discharged.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 5:29:56 PM Steiner wrote:

The IAM did this in the 1960's, striking several airlines at the same time. P.O.'d the government.
----------------
[/blockquote]

"The Great Airplane Strike", summer of 1966. Paul Revere and the Raiders wrote a song about it with the aforementioned title...
IIRC, it involved every domestic trunk carrier of the time EXCEPT AA and DL (that would've been BN, CO, EA, NA, NE, NW, TW, UA, WA), as well as some of the then-Local Service carriers. Believe the strike lasted close to two months. Needless to say, American and Delta had VERY high load factors that summer...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/10/2003 5:47:32 PM mga707 wrote:

"The Great Airplane Strike", summer of 1966. Paul Revere and the Raiders wrote a song about it with the aforementioned title...
IIRC, it involved every domestic trunk carrier of the time EXCEPT AA and DL (that would've been BN, CO, EA, NA, NE, NW, TW, UA, WA), as well as some of the then-Local Service carriers. Believe the strike lasted close to two months. Needless to say, American and Delta had VERY high load factors that summer...

----------------
[/blockquote]

I guess Bush would be made a big liar then. If he needs a P.E.B. to stop ONE Airline Work Group from striking, then how about shoving ALL Airline Travel into the negotiations for some relief?

I do not even think the strike would have to happen, all we need is unified threat with a deadline and we will see who is in charge. Of course we could always organize and use civil disobedience and shut down the airports.

If there is no solidarity and ability to pull off such a move then we are kidding ourselves even belonging to the AFL-CIO and/or claiming we belong to any coalitions.