Carnot To Close?

Twicebaked

Veteran
May 22, 2003
I am usually not one to buy into rumors, but this one has been coming from all angles. The rumor in the mill is that the Carnot Training Center will close and mainline training will be moved to CLT. MidAtlantic training to relocate to McCormick Training Center.

Anyone verify???

it makes sense. carnot is a dump. the training center in clt is a far better facility to train in. in my opinion ,every thing should be moved to clt. even headquarters.

Is the one in CLT called McCormick?

Some background for others...

The CLT Training Center is a modern, state of the art facility. Carnot is a former elementary schoolhouse (anyone who uses a urinal will confirm this).

Back in the huge growth (1997-2001), Carnot was used for Initial New Hire Flight Attendant training, and both the CLT and PIT facilities were used for F/A recurrent. International training was in CLT, as was any new aircraft training (A319/320, A330, A321). Keep in mind, at the time US Airways, soon to be a "Global Carrier of Choice" (HA!) was putting classes of 100 F/As through training every month (they're gone now!) I'm not sure about the pilots. I believe all of the newer cabin simulators and equiptment are in CLT (although I suppose PIT would have to at least have doors for all a/c?)

I doubt US Airways will ever hire another "mainline" pilot or flight attendant (or recall). All training will be MidAtlantic (much smaller classes) and recurrent. The company has shrunk to nearly half the size employee and aircraft wise that it was when we entered the decade. There is really no need for two training centers, especially with PIT's shaky future.

This one wouldn't surprise me if it was true. In fact, until now, I had been under the impression that Carnot had already closed.

it would make sense for a change. Consolidate facilities where ever you can. Are you sure someone here actually thought about doing that.....it makes to much sense! LOL

Apparently they plan to move it and consolidate in CLT. Not one for rumors, but they plan to offer an early "retirement" to senior F/As, call back all junior furloughed F/As, including those in the training class that was furloughed and have a mainline F/A hiring once they get hold of the 60 new Airbus. Accordong to inside information, they would like the ability to add A319 to MAA at the "going" rate.

Okay Marco....put the glue down and walk away... :up:

That would be great, but that is toooooo far fetched.

marco90821 said:
Apparently they plan to move it and consolidate in CLT. Not one for rumors, but they plan to offer an early "retirement" to senior F/As, call back all junior furloughed F/As, including those in the training class that was furloughed and have a mainline F/A hiring once they get hold of the 60 new Airbus. Accordong to inside information, they would like the ability to add A319 to MAA at the "going" rate.
Marco,

Stop spreading FUD! I don't know where you get your information, but 60 planes was not discussed at mangements presentation to AFA of the "plan".

STop with the deception and spreading rumors.

Light Years. McCormick is in Pit. It is basically where Pilots are trained. From time to time in Recurrant training our 2-days when we had 2-day training were split between Carnot and McCormick. This happened more so when Carnot was so full of new-hire training.

Now, that the Pit base has shrunk so much, it may be more prudant to have all training in Clt. Plus, we only have one day of training now, so the Company would only have to provide hotel accomodations for one night, if even that.

Carnot always has problems. Had recurrant there last summer without air-conditioning in Aug. It was sweltering. The cafeteria has long since closed. It is past time to move out of there.

marco90821 said:
No trainees were furloughed by U. The last new hire class at Carnot was No. 2001-05 in which 108 people graduated on 8/3/01. Of the 108 new hires, 107 went on the line and one was terminated before entering service because the company had been informed that he had previously jokingly written a bomb threat on a napkin aboard a LUV flight and the A/C diverted (didn't come up in his background check). About a month before 2001-05 began training (June 25, 2001), the company cancelled all training classes through the end of 2001. Assumedly, this was because all indications were that the merger was going south and WolfGang needed time to regroup. Then 9-11 happened.

DCAflyer: You know it is really interesting to think of all the major hiring that was being done those few years prior to the last class. It seemed we were hiring thousands in light of the fact that merger talks with United were in the works. Now it seems we can't get rid of enough people. Downsize, downsize, downsize :down:

U continued to steadily hire for a year after the United merger was announced, some classes having over one hundred people. At times there would be one class a couple weeks from graduating while another started.

Of course, at the time, US Airways was taking delivery of hundreds of new Airbus aircraft, and expanding internationally.

Despite the rapid growth and sheer number of people, U's inflight hiring and training process was impressive and the new hire group was enthusiastic, professional, and diverse. They're the group that actually calls it US Airways, because that's what it was called when they were hired! If another airline hired those 2000 flight attendants, they'd have a great airline of proud individuals with up to four years of experience.

Sadly, now they have the option of MAA (years later, and if it ever happens) or another regional or LCC. Thier peers seniority-wise still have thier jobs at UA, AA, CO, NW, DL... I guess they are still "World-Class Carriers" instead of the incredibly shrinking Crap Commuter that U is now. :down:

In my opinion, the Pittsburgh B757 & B737 simulator will be moved to Charlotte, the Pittsburgh simulator center lease will be rejected, the Carnot and Beaver Grade Road Flight Crew Training facilities will be rejected and the operations consolidated in Charlotte, the Greentree Reservation Facility will have its lease rejected and its operations moved to Winston-Salem to create a "super reservations facility, the RIDC Park West offices will move to Charlotte, and the Pittsburgh on-site airport facilities will also see their leases rejected and operations moved elsewhere.

I believe the time may have come and gone where the ACAA could have had Pittsburgh be like Cincinnati and this option is much less likely. With recent reports that United will miss its February and March DIP requirements, it would not surprise me to see about two-thirds of the present Pittsburgh flight hours move to Dulles, Philadelphia, Chicago, or Denver.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts