Catholic Church setttles for $600 million

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
Does it bother anyone that the catholic church even has $600 million dollars to settle a case? Not to knowledgeable about the workings of a church but given that they are supposed to be a non-profit church, and given that the people who give their hard earned money to cult to help people in need. I would thing that the church members would be a bit tickled off that their money is being spent to keep the church out of hot water because some dirty old men can keep their pants zipped and their hands in their pant pockets. Six hundred million could feed a lot of people and put a roof over a lot of heads.

YES, it does....Garfield !

And it ALSO bothers me (in a different way) with the likes of Pat Robertson, Jery Falwell(R.I.P.), Ted Haggard :shock: , or Jimmy Swaggart, or Jim/Tammy Faye Baker etc,etc,etc !

In all fairness, I want to Favorably recognize Billy Graham !!
I personally don't believe 75% of what BG believes in,...BUT....I RESPECT that man for his beliefs, and equally Important, the way he conducts himself with a lot of Class/Grace !!!

NH/BB's

Does it bother anyone that the catholic church even has $600 million dollars to settle a case?

It pains my heart to see that because of a few, the whole organization suffers. are you aware that the Catholic charities is the largest private network of social service organizations in the United States?

Hard to have that kind of status on a shoe string budget would'nt ya say?

Not to knowledgeable about the workings of a church but given that they are supposed to be a non-profit church, and given that the people who give their hard earned money to cult to help people in need. I would thing that the church members would be a bit tickled off that their money is being spent to keep the church out of hot water because some dirty old men can keep their pants zipped and their hands in their pant pockets. Six hundred million could feed a lot of people and put a roof over a lot of heads.

I disagree with the church's stance on protecting criminals and paying settlements, those who are accused, tried , and convicted should be imprisoned with the key thrown away.

I look at this as a perfect example of how non-profits abuse the system. Legal defense funds / settlements for criminal acts should not be tax free. The money donated to religious entities should be set aside for purely charitable needs. If a religious entity needs money for defense purposes, they should be required to raise that money via separate channels and that money should be taxed accordingly.

The fact that the catholic diocese has $600 million to settle a claim is beyond offensive. Their non-profit should be revoked and the diocese should be liquidated.

I look at this as a perfect example of how non-profits abuse the system. Legal defense funds / settlements for criminal acts should not be tax free. The money donated to religious entities should be set aside for purely charitable needs. If a religious entity needs money for defense purposes, they should be required to raise that money via separate channels and that money should be taxed accordingly.

The fact that the catholic diocese has $600 million to settle a claim is beyond offensive. Their non-profit should be revoked and the diocese should be liquidated.

Alot of the cash for the settlement will come from insurance. Yes, the Diocese paid premiums for this type of litigation. As for liquidation, I presume that the L.A. diocese will have to liquidate a significant portion of their real estate holdings in order to pay the remainder of the settlement.

The Catholic religion is a big business.Their net worth just in the USA i'm sure is quite staggering and way beyond 600 million.

The Catholic religion is a big business.Their net worth just in the USA i'm sure is quite staggering and way beyond 600 million.

I understand that their net worth is substantially more than $600 million. How the Vatcan obtained the wealth that they have not with standing, the money donated by the people (which if they are non-profit is where all the money should come from right) should not be used tax free to pay off liabilities or to pay premiums. The money donated should be used for what it was intended. If a church needs money for other obligations or what have you, they should start a separate business or have separate donations that are taxed like any other business.

It is offensive to me, as a tax payer, to allow them to use their money for what ever they want and not have to pay a dime of tax on it.