Cbs Email Message To All Pilots

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
The following CBS message from Bruce Lakefield concerning ALPA negotiations was sent to all pilots today.

I want to quickly brief you on the status of negotiations with ALPA. While I am disappointed by the action taken by the MEC last night, my focus is on each of you, and not the irresponsible behavior of a few. I believe that a majority of your leadership is working hard to represent your interests.

From the beginning of our negotiations, we have tried to take a Balanced approach to some very difficult issues that we all realize will impact our pilot work group. We do not take lightly the sacrifices you have already made or the fact that all of us must make more. But we also all know the price is even higher if we simply do nothing. Our balanced approach was based on a methodical and thorough analysis of our cost structure and those of our low-cost competitors. The cost savings target for each work group was derived from the initial question: how can we reach a competitive cost structure for this work group? We then looked carefully at the existing pilot contract and built a proposal that would have the least impact to the rank and file.

Our original proposal had pay cuts significantly lower than the one the MEC rejected on Monday evening. But the steeper pay cuts you have been Hearing about reflected the direction of the Negotiating Committee, which told us more than once that it would not accept many of the work rule and productivity changes that exist at the other low- cost carriers, and instead, wanted to make up the difference with higher pay cuts.

We still believe this is the wrong approach and do not agree with the Negotiating Committee that forcing you into deeper pay cuts while Ignoring critical productivity improvements is the way to transform into a competitive airline.

I am not prepared to throw in the towel or conclude that we cannot reach an agreement. In fact, the entire management team remains committed to working through the issues with ALPA. Ultimately, I hope we can succeed and you will be allowed a voice in the decision. I am just baffled as to why a few of your representatives don't trust you to make the proper decision regarding our proposal. After all, we and your fellow employees trust you to fly our aircraft and protect our passengers, just as we trust you to make the right decisions
about your careers.

Bruce Lakefield
President and CEO

As many of us suspected, there are two sides to every story and so far all we've really seen is ALPA's.

So let me get this straight. If the pilots come to an agreement we are saved, I don’t think so, and to ask for any cut to be retro active is insane if this a false rumor please somebody tell me the truth.

I have posted before and will say again the rank and file CWA members cannot afford to go to 13.10 per hour or even 15.00 as I have heard floating around with 8% increase for high cost areas….(oh gee thanks)..
Most of us would fair better to collect and get help with finances for school and get into something better where we are better treated and more respected. The health care industry is dying for help in all areas and with a couple of years you could be making 60,000 a year…..Don’t say do it now because I like my job at 20 to 23 per hour it has it’s benefits but not at 13.10 or even 15.00 ……..

I have sold what ever stock I have left today because I think this company will file chap 11 Sunday evening….and it will be down hill from there……

now it seems that the mec has a few members that dont care about what its members would want to do? i mean if the members want to vote, then darn it, let them vote and see how it comes to be. and if so it is a ya vote then let it go through. if it is a no vote then try a different approach or something.

robbedagain said:
now it seems that the mec has a few members that dont care about what its members would want to do? i mean if the members want to vote, then darn it, let them vote and see how it comes to be. and if so it is a ya vote then let it go through. if it is a no vote then try a different approach or something.
[post="176734"][/post]​

I agree, if the members want to vote, let them vote. But, how do we know thats what they want? What if the union is doing what the majority of the pilots want done?

This is how I read Bruce's message:

I want to quickly brief you on the status of negotiations with ALPA. While I am pi$$ed off by the action taken by the MEC last night, my focus is on my stock options, and not you people. I believe that many of you are spineless and can be easily manipulated with threats and intimidation.

From the beginning of our negotiations, we have taken a totally unbalanced approach to all issues. We just don’t care about you anymore. Our unbalanced approach was methodical to make you all believe that without taking your entire salary we will never stop until we succeed. The cost savings target for each work group was derived from the initial question: how much can we rip you off? We then looked carefully at the existing pilot contract and set out to obliterate it and demoralize the rank and file.

Our original proposal had pay cuts significantly higher than the one the MEC rejected on Monday evening. But the steeper pay cuts you have been hearing about are true: We want you all to work for nothing.

We still believe this is right approach and do not agree with the Negotiating Committee that is trying save what little is left of your contract.

I am not prepared to throw in the towel or conclude that we cannot reach an agreement. In fact, the entire management team remains committed to making your remaining days at this company a living hell. Ultimately, I hope that we can fatten Mr. Bronner’s bank account along with mine: it’s a win-win situation in my book. I am just baffled as to why none of you are willing to sacrifice your entire paycheck for this company. After all, we and your fellow employees trust you to fly our aircraft and protect our passengers, because most of you have no where else to go.

Bruce Lakefield
President and CEO

and......

even if the pilots come to some type of agreement, there are other unions and the answer will be ...NO.

I'm sorry that I can't put a positive spin on this..............

Robbedagain:

Robbedagain said: "now it seems that the mec has a few members that dont care about what its members would want to do? i mean if the members want to vote, then darn it, let them vote and see how it comes to be. and if so it is a ya vote then let it go through. if it is a no vote then try a different approach or something."

USA320Pilot comments: You're right. It's democratic to allow every pilot to vote, not just three pilots with one holding a proxy. The RC4's excuse is that ALPA did not have to have a TA, but both of ALPA's attorney's told the MEC last night that they could send out a company proposal for vote that was not a TA and in December a resolution was passed to do just that. When John Brookman challenged the chair, Bill Pollock conferred with ALPA legal and ruled Brookman's challenge was invalid.

There are two other issues here:

1. Pittsburgh Captain Rep Fred Freshwater and John Brookman lead a recall of former Captain Rep Tim Baker because they said "Baker would not allow them to vote on the DB Plan termination". In addition, in their campaign they said that would never occur on their watch and the pilot's would always get a vote. Well I guess they're hypocritical or liars.

2. Fred Freshwater and PHL F/O Rep Dan Von Bargen are part of a lawsuit seeking multi-million damages from ALPA for terminating the DB pension plan. If these two members of the RC4 would permit a loss of the DC plan, would that hurt their case in court? What you have to ask are these two RC4 people making decisions as plaintiffs or representatives?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

EYEintheSKY,

Sad but true, worst is that USAIR management doesn't care. They'll get their agreement in BK! Wish you all the best of luck.

USA320Pilot, are finished with your tantrum now? Tear down Brookman and Freshwater all you want: THEY AREN"T YOUR REPS!!!! They did exactly what their rank and file wanted them to do. Give it up, get over it. They are right. Now, what should concern every employee about Bruce's letter he's trying to circumvent the union process. He's undermining it and you are buying it hook, line and sinker. Shame on you!

EyeInTheSky said:
USA320Pilot, are finished with your tantrum now? Tear down Brookman and Freshwater all you want: THEY AREN"T YOUR REPS!!!! They did exactly what their rank and file wanted them to do. Give it up, get over it. They are right. Now, what should concern every employee about Bruce's letter he's trying to circumvent the union process. He's undermining it and you are buying it hook, line and sinker. Shame on you!
[post="176743"][/post]​

It is incomprehensible to me how you can argue that asking everyone to vote is trying to circumvent anything. The whole thing reminds of a committee chairman stalling legislation that they know will pass (or fail) because they dont want that to happen so they use personal power to circumvent it.

Sounds like Bruce is getting desperate. The pattern reminds me much of Siegel in his infamous "they are coming to kill us" speech. Back then it was SWA that was the enemy, now it the guys in the union.

Funny how it is never managements fault. I thought they were here to manage, but it appears that is not the case, they are here to pillage!

Why not let the pilots vote? Because with all the FUD, the threats etc. going on, it might not work in their best interest. Management keeps raising the bar, instilling fear, that the next offer will be worse and hoping that the pilots will cave.

If they sign up for this piece of crap, the spine is broken. The demands will increase, contracts broken at will, grievances ignored, because the pilots will have flinched and showed how weak they truly are. The company will take full advantage of that fact, knowing that whoever remains is incapable of standing up for themselves.

Want an analogy: This is AQ (Management) blowing up a bomb in Spain.

Some of the unfortunate Mianline Express Employees who are ALREADY at $13, would be thrilled to see $15 again!!!! Please keep those who have already been suffering at $13 an hour in mind when you fear going down to $15. Thanks....

Read this and you'll get the picture:

/index.php...ndpost&p=176752

If it is true that had a member vote been allowed on a TA, whether a accepted or rejected by membership, and that the Union would then lose the right to self-help if the BK judge imposes a contract then these men did the ALPA members a favor by preserving future options. If the judge imposes a contract, the Union can then have a strike vote and decide whether or not to accept the terms. Had they allowed a vote now, on what they believe is a flawed contract, the right to strike would have been simply wasted.

WINGS................

I AGREE 15 PER HOUR WOULD BE GREAT...

Let's make it $17 per hour......

How do we get 17 per hour......

JUST TAKE IT FROM THE RICH CEO'S AND V.P'S