Chaimen pref. this was a nice gesture...

Seatacus

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Puget Sound
www.usaviation.com
A while back a US1 approached the gate podium and asked if there were any seats left in first class. I said there was and he left. In a about five minutes he came back with a soldier and said he wanted to upgrade this gentleman as his companion. The soldier was upgraded and was so grateful. Who knows what lies ahaed for our servicemen and women,any kind act like this I find to be very commendable. US1's I appreciate your patronage but kind acts like this I appreciate even more.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/15/2003 4:30:57 PM Seatacus wrote:

A while back a US1 approached the gate podium and asked if there were any seats left in first class. I said there was and he left. In a about five minutes he came back with a soldier and said he wanted to upgrade this gentleman as his companion. The soldier was upgraded and was so grateful. Who knows what lies ahaed for our servicemen and women,any kind act like this I find to be very commendable. US1's I appreciate your patronage but kind acts like this I appreciate even more.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Cool!

That is way better than cool. It is down right wonderful. Woudln't it be nice to work for a guy like that?? Do you remember his name?? It would be nice to send HIM a letter of thanks. You can look up his name and send him a note.

I am a US1 and did this several months ago. I checked with the agent to see if seats were available and also if anyone was on the waiting list. I didn't want to penalize a US2 or US3.

However, the agent (PHL) was less then thrilled that I was doing it. The agent tried to tell me that he need to to be my companion and not someone I just picked out of the crowd. Nevertheless, he upgraded him and we had a nice flight.

Since then I have been a little reluctent to do it again. Based on these posts, I see that his view may be in the minority.

I applaud the move by my fellow US1's towards members of our armed services. Although I haven't had the same opportunity, I am sure if I saw a uniformed member of our military waiting for the same flight I would do the same.

My experience with a member of our military was a little different. I got stuck in a security line at MCO with a uniformed Navy officer. We shared some similar observations about the progress of the line (pre TSA), and had a laugh or two. When we noticed we each had about 90 minutes before our respective flights, I invited the officer to join me in the club as my guest, and picked up the bar tab. He seemed genuinely grateful.

I don't know how close he is to harm's way, but I agree that we should show members of our military any and all courtesy and kindness-I can't do enough to express my appreciation to them.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/16/2003 9:21:15 AM neflyer wrote:

I am a US1 and did this several months ago. I checked with the agent to see if seats were available and also if anyone was on the waiting list. I didn't want to penalize a US2 or US3.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Excellent point ,US2's and US3's shud be taken into consideration. They fly many miles to get there preferred status also.

as an agt, this same thing has happened to me to.
but you know what really would impress me?
if the us1,2,or 3 would peel out the green stuff to upgrade them...
guess not huh.....

the opening post from "seatacus"
was it was a nice "gesture"
and it was....
it could be a nice gesture cause it was FREE....
my question would be if it wasn't free
would you do it?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/17/2003 1:35:54 PM ClueByFour wrote:

Were they free, I could send my cat over to a US counter to pick some up.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Now that I'd like to see.

I hate to feed the troll, but:

Upgrades are not free. They are earned via a certain number of butt in seat fares. Were they free, I could send my cat over to a US counter to pick some up.

You just hate being backed into a corner, don't you.

BTW, I've paid lots of $$$ for upgrades when I had run out of certs.

And, I just spent 40,000 miles upgrading my parents for my son's baptism - those 40,000 derived out of US Airways ticket revenue.