Change of Control Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
I have received 'many' emails where workers are saying their IAM reps are saying 'Can't tell ya' when questions are asked about the breakdown of any award. So I put out the following Q & A.

Question: IAM loyalist say that the COC is only worth about $30 million, is this true and if not what it is worth?

Answer: My understanding is that the IAM agreed to put the worth at 10% of its worth as part of a 'credit' in the rejected T/A. That's probably where the $30 million worth came from. In other words, the company recognized a 10% credit for the COC if the IAM were successful in having it thrown under the bus.
The total worth of the Change of Control as specified in a court of law by the company's high priced attorneys was put at exactly $439 million between the east ramp & M&R. That was a snap shot taken last February.

Question: But the court documents didn't put the fleet numbers at $300 million so where does the 10% or $30 million come from?

Answer: Notice, any award will now recognize another 8 months of back pay. In September, my understanding is that the COC was up to $300 million for fleet only. The total award [Fleet service & Mehanics] is most likely well over $500 million at this point once the additional 8 months are calculated in. The original $439 million as recognized by the company's attorneys was based on a February date. As this thing drags on, any award will continue to 'accumulate'.

Question:
How does $300 million or 1/3 Billion dollars break down practically speaking?

Answer:
Here's what some of the numbers mean.
$21.19 if awarded. Then at the ammendable date you can add 4.5% on 12-31-09 so:
12-31-09 $22.14 Then 4.5% for an additional 3 years, assuming the union chooses to extend it
12-31-10 $23.14
12-31-11 $24.18
12-31-12 $25.27

Then from there, you start negotiating on a new contract.

Question: Why doesn't the IAM break down the wage numbers since that's what we are talking about?

Answer: It's quite obvious that the IAM wants to share in the spoils and that means they will once again attempt to negotiate any award away in return for "IAM interest". It's alot of money but it's yours,not the IAM's. In short, they will most likely want to force some re-allocation of any award and 'get themselves some'.
They want the masses to remain ignorant. Remember, the COC is already in the agreement and it is non-negotiable.

Question: The IAM sez, back pay would most likely not be a part of any settlement? is this true?

Answer: What they are telling you is that they plan on negotiating it away for perhaps IAM interest items like positive space travel, more dues paying members, etc. Back pay would most certainly be a part of any violation. The IAM doesn't even mention this, neither would someone else who is trying to rip you off. I mean, ask your IAM AGC and see if you don't get a load of smoke blown up your ###. Know this, the COC is accumulating worth now and it isn't because you won't win back pay for the duration of the violation. Further, if the company appeals a arbitration loss, it will most likely face increased penalties, fees, fines, etc, payable to the recipients who were damaged.

Question: How much would any back pay award be?

Answer: Depending on your yearly income. Any award will be based on when the violation first started [initial change of control, over two years ago]. The company either violated the contract from a specific time or it didn't. Back pay awards were between $20,000-$30,000 for some but now the accumulation is making the award over $30,000 for some. In essance, any award is now worth more than $439 million. Check your w2's and base all hours on $21.19hr as opposed $15.62, or $17.00 [overtime rates would also be included]

Question: The IAM has been really negative when they talk about an award and the IAM has said the company may win an appeal and that it would take 'years' to collect. What is the chance of a company voiding binding arbitration?

Answer: In bankruptcy a company can avoid alot. However, this context isn't in bankruptcy and with record profits the payout is unavoidable.The reputable Railway Labor Act law firm, “Seeham, Seeham, Meltz, Petersenâ€￾ was retained by US AIRWAYS pilots in hopes of overturning a recent arbitration award. According to documents made public, in a letter dated August 20, 2007 to the US AIRWAYS East pilots, the law firm said, “ The Supreme court has held that the grounds are very narrow for vacating an arbitration award under Federal Law. [United Paperworkers v Misco, Inc…..â€￾we believe that any reviewing court will be mindful of the standard of review applied to Railway Labor Act arbitration cases which has been characterized as among the narrowest known to law.â€￾ [Union Pacific vs Sheehan,439 US 89,91 (1978)

Therefore, any delay in the arbitration award would be a direct result of your company believing the IAM will negotiate away the award. And consider the waiting period a time in which you would collect interest on your money. Kinda like a 12 month CD.

Question: Canale and the IAM say the COC won't recognize west employees?

Answer: Any transition agreement would have to recognize the west and put them under the east agreement. To this end, Parker recognized his need for a transition agreement & the 'west inclusion' when the COC was recognized at $627 million once the west is included.

regards,

All you need is a laser pointer, and a flip chart, maybe you can get Ross Perot to be your spokesperson. Something called fuzzy math?

Nice Work!

We are seeing none of this information out in the West. Granted we aren't going to see a dime of this, it's important we still know what's going on.

All we get on our update board is that the IBEW is no better than the IAM, and that Doug Parker is going to delay the process even more if we win. BLA BLA BLA. no facts, no information in depth like this.

Help isn't going to come from any of our brothers in the EAST. Our union needs to update us like they are doing for you guys.

I'm starting to think it's mis-information, it's a LACK of information.

[quote name='PO'ed PHX Ramper' post='538853' date='Oct 30 2007, 05:53 PM']Doug Parker is going to delay the process even more if we win.[/quote]

That much is true.
You bring in a new union you start at square one again.
You can send a message to the IAM or you can set yourself back another two to three years.

Good Luck telling anyone here that, they all know everything...

But we know they will not tell us directly. They will throw some figures out there and try to confuse you, all the while they are trying to weasel into the AGC positions they never got with the IAM.

That much is true.
You can send a message to the IAM or you can set yourself back another two to three years.
I would respectfully ask, for the audience, that you elaborate on what it is that puts a new union at square one. Also, exactly how do workers get set back for 2 or 3 more years if they change the union? I think the audience would like to know your answers to that and I'm sure you're bright enough to be able to express your position.

I'll provide mine to the same issues and back mine up with facts & related.

Does a new union start at square one?
Of course not. Any new union must continue to enforce the present contract and pick up at negotiations where the other union left off, or risk DFR charges. This includes grievances also.
Some examples on this property:

The FACTS:
1. The TWU had triggered section 6 negotiaitons as described in their 'duration article'. After 6 months of negotiations, the following was tentatively agreed to:
Section 02 - Definitions ** Tentative Agreement 8/11/05
Section 09 - Vacations ** Tentative Agreement 11/09/05
Section 08 - Attendance at Hearing or investigations 12/12/05
Section 12 - Seniority/Probation ** Tentative Agreement 8/24/05
Section 20 - Management Clause ** Tentative Agreement 8/23/05
Section 23 -Union Security/Agency Shop & Dues Check-Off ** Tentative Agreement 11/10/05

When the IAM agreed to represent the west employees, it failed to enforce the TWU contract by refusing to negotiate in section 6 negotiations. Instead, it has pimped the west by telling them 'it's all about the COC, so sorry". This is why several members of the TWU negotiations team are currently IBEW committeemen. They understand how the west is getting screwed over.

Item 1
The REALITY
The west isn't even on square one. With the IAM, the west is 2 steps back. Getting to square one would be a plus. It's a complete and utter disaster. These workers have to stay at $9 hour for 3 years, and they are not being heard. Unfortunately, they aren't even at the negotiations table. Brickner said 'we are forming proposals'. Who's we? What proposals? These proposals and negotiations are so secret that they aren't even happening. In essance, the west is two steps backwards from where they were because of the IAM's failure and refusal to enforce section 6 negotiations. Until it does, the west will continue to experience great 'pain'.

Item 2
THE FACTS:
in 1978 the US AIRWAYS ramp voted in ALEA. The union sucked balls. So in 1980, the workers voted in the IBT. Nothing was lost whatsoever other than that lame company union. The workers were finally represented and got respect. Again, just share with us one thing, just one thing, that would be lost...other than the IAM leadership?

Item 3
The REALITY of "What's on the table": What was on the table was a contract that cashed in the COC grievance for a 10% credit [approx. $32 million]. The $32 million credit was used to boost wages up in the front end of the contract, while restricting the raises in the back end. In return, the IAM allowed the company to throw out the part-time grievance, throw out up to 20 benefits that the west currently enjoys, drop dead contracting out language for 19 stations, extend the bankruptcy contract two more years, made snapbacks only IOU's due in 2012, extend the wage scale two more years, eliminate section 6 negotiations, and of course, eliminate profit sharing 'retroactively' for 'only' fleet service workers at a time when the company is at record profits. I mean no other craft on the property was agreed to be eliminated from profit sharing other than fleet service.

The simple facts are that the fleet 'east' contract isn't up until 2009. Change unions now to position things accordingly for section 6 negotiations when they come up. In the meantime, don't give up the transition card unless Parker gives a fair credit for the card.

regards,

All you need is a laser pointer, and a flip chart, maybe you can get Ross Perot to be your spokesperson. Something called fuzzy math?

Nice Work!
Here's some more fuzzy math.

1. Canale/Hayden push IAM contract and say it is a good contract.
2. Only 3% of PHL agrees with Canale and votes for contract. Not even 5% agrees with him.
3. Canale comes back to PHL 3 weeks later and sez, "It was a good contract"

What's going on?

Answer: I don't think many have a problem if a union leader 'initially' comes and sez a contract is good. however, if after 97% of the workers don't agree with that then the union guy is clearly not listening if he still sez 'It was a good contract'.

97% is a PHL mandate given to Canale and it shouts from atop the hill that the contract was grossly unfair. However, my understanding is that Canale was in communication with US AIWAYS management and he was basically told to do the damage control spin. So instead of Canale seeing the vote as a mandate for fairness, Canale spins it as a vote for change of control. What a slap in the face. If that's right then I want to be wrong.

Actually getting rid of the IAM is a benefit that can be achieved without negotiations. I mean, the only way any union is going to get anything is if they fight for it. The IAM will not fight for fleet so it's time to move on. $500 a year and no return for dues.

regards,

That much is true.
Talk about setting yourself back.. WHY is the IAM in the last T/A referring to 1998 snapbacks...

read your T/A .. thats the snapback previsions.. REASON why they go that far back .. is because they

haven't neg.. anything for us since then... :down: :down: :down:

PO'ed phx

OUR UNION (currently the IAM ) doesn't keep us informed... WE on the EAST ask them to be ACCOUNTABLE .. and when they try to respond

we CALL B/S .. and they run and hide.. Which sends a message out that they (the IAM ) are in this for themselves..

TRUST me when I say THE IAM DOES NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTEREST AT HEART.. or else they would have fought DOUG and the boys on sec 6

But we know they will not tell us directly. They will throw some figures out there and try to confuse you, all the while they are trying to weasel into the AGC positions they never got with the IAM.

See ram ,
thats EXACTLY what WE are trying to get rid of ... believe it or not in some UNIONS.. you actually have to be VOTED in by your

membership.. that is unless your in the IAM then its by appointment only.. and you know how hard it is to get appointments.. It took two weeks to

consult with a surgeon over a w/c issue..

One other note... before I call it a night is this ...

IF THE COC GREIVENCE IS A NO WIN SITUATION. THEN

WHY???

DID THE IAM FILE IT..

AND 2 WHY WAS IT PUT IN OUR CONTRACT IN BK1 AND WHY WAS IT STILL THERE IN THIS LAST T/A ...

ARE WE WAITING TO USE IT IN ANOTHER MERGER

something to think about....

It's amazing what lands in your e-mail box when you least expect it.

So what's the "deal" with Jeff Hayden? Hearing all kinds of rumors from PHL. Word is he can't be trusted and is angling for an AGC position and will say and do anything to get one now that Armedio is pushed aside.

Apparently a snake is within your ranks. Be careful and God Bless.

Bob, this is how IAM politics work, and why some instructors at IAM's training facility will tell you in private IAM politics are a travesty.

When fleet voted in IAM, the IAM appointed the negotiating committee - the membership had no say.

The first AGC's (mostly the NC) were appointed - the membership had no say.

When each local lodge's legisliative committee acts, they are following HQ marching orders. HQ never polls the membership - the membership has no say.

See the pattern?

One other note... before I call it a night is this ...

IF THE COC GREIVENCE IS A NO WIN SITUATION. THEN

WHY???

DID THE IAM FILE IT..

AND 2 WHY WAS IT PUT IN OUR CONTRACT IN BK1 AND WHY WAS IT STILL THERE IN THIS LAST T/A ...
ARE WE WAITING TO USE IT IN ANOTHER MERGER

something to think about....
TO KEEP YOU IAM AND NOT VOTE IN ANOTHER UNION...........OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!! BEND OVER AND COUGH.............................................................

Just curious as to how $21.19 was figured as the hourly wage? I mean we were at $21.68 pre-bk. As it states in our original 1999 cba, parity won't go backwards. So how did we go from $21.68 to $21.19? Anyone from the I AM MANAGEMENT care to elaborate? If not, Tim can you figure this one out?. I will find the language in the CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts