Changing the way I select an ‘Airline of Choice’

Singleflyer

Senior
Mar 27, 2003
With all of the talk of business travel being cut back and such. The company I work for actually does more traveling in a poor economy. There are about 750 people in our small company that travels between 2 to 4 days per week. So it is a lot of traveling. Most have the same type of preference when choosing their airline of choice.

I sent the following letter o Tempe management suite last night.

Sorry in advance for the long length. But I think it shows that seasoned business traveler is looking for Value, not something for nothing as many on here think.

Changing the way I select an 'Airline of Choice'

It's no secret that the airline business is facing difficulties of unprecedented proportions; and 'unfortunately US Airways is no exception. Since many airlines are changing policies and procedures and making substantial changes to the way the industry is run. Today, I am announcing a series of changes designed to make ‘my airline of choice’ easier to decide. I will choose an airline that offers the best value to my employer, and the most convenience to me as the person actually traveling. In 2007 my RASM (including tax and Fess) was $0.895 so I offer profitable business to the airlines I fly and therefore I expect value for the money spent.
I am currently an elite member on four airlines, so I have many choices, or I could choose a new airline all together. With the criteria I am announcing today, I will select an airline based on the airline that provides the best value from the following criteria. So lets see how US Airways new 'pay-for-what-you-use' model for items like baggage and beverages stacks up to the current policies of their competition:

Ease of booking a flight via the web page. While the web page is better than 2 years ago it still has problems and does not have many advanced features as the competition, and does not always list available Star Alliance flights. However, took me 3 tries for me to book an award ticket on Friday. Score NEGITIVE

Checking in on line. This appears to be working well most of the time. However you don't have advanced features like having the BP being faxed to you, since you may not have a printer with you while on the road. Or e-mailed to you as a PDF file via e-mail. Not as convenient as the competition. Score NEGITIVE.

Flight changes due to weather or cancellations. Other airlines call you with a solution to the problem, with the trip re-booked. US Airways calls you, and in the message tells you to call back, wait on hold for a while, and then together we will see if we can come up with a plan to get you to your destination. Score NEGATIVE. Not Pro-active

Reservation System. This still seems to have some problems when travel problems arise. I don't know if it is the system or training. However this ‘mess’ is what drove me to the competition in 2007. Score NEGATIVE.

Flight times. This is import to me, and is usually my first or second criteria in choosing a flight. Score EVEN. As a side note US lost over $15,000.00 in revenue from me in April and May because of lack of value of the product even tough the airline had the best flight time.

Elite Services. The CP desk was the best! Currently, it is not as good as in the past since many of the experienced agents have left. Hold times can be long, or switched to another elite desk with less knowledge to solve a problem. Score EVEN to a PLUS.

Fees for booking award travel. Other airlines don't charge for booking any award travel, this is like your employer charging you for the paycheck so you can get paid for your earned wage. You have earned the miles and you are now charging you to use the miles. Also, many airlines don't charge elite members for booking travel up to the day of travel. Score NEGATIVE.

Fees for calling a call center to book travel. US Airways received a lot of business from me in the past because I would call the CP line to book travel and then have my travel department pay the ticket, thus assuring me a ride on US Airways. Now adding a $15.00 fee for sending business 'your way'￾ won't happen, and I can't 'hold'a reservation via the web. Score NEGATIVE to US due to lost revenue. EVEN for me, I'll book another airline.

Availability of award tickets. I can't remember ever having trouble booking a trip when I wanted to use miles. I took a CP agent some creativity last year to get my family to HNL. The trip I booked last Friday was for the times and dates I wanted, I tried two other carriers first. Score PLUS.

Ability to Upgrade. As an elite member paying high dollar tickets I am quite successful in receiving an up-grade, about five years ago it was 100%! But, the success rate has gone down in the last two years. I have been told that a new policy was put into place that does not hold open seats, or as many for tickets purchased the day of travel. Often my tickets are purchased within hours of flight time. Score EVEN TO NEGATIVE.

Size of Planes. I try to book a flight on the carrier who has the biggest plane on the route; this is usually the dominant carrier in the market place. US Airways adding the EMB190 is making this available to some smaller markets. Score EVEN TO A PLUS

Use of Regional Jets. Most carriers use RJs to the smaller markets. US Airways is no exception, however many other carriers offer first class on the RJs that fly the longer routes, US does not have First Class on any of their RJs. Score NEGATIVE.

Comfort of Plane. Legroom is important to me. US Airways has some of the smallest seat pitch in the industry. This varies on plane type at US and other carriers, so it is hard to define. Score EVEN.

Arriving 'Looking good.' Most airlines have a place to hang your suit coat so it dos not get all wrinkled up or dirty in the overhead. US Airways has removed many coat closets on the planes so the suit coat must go in the overhead. Score NEGATIVE

Arriving on time. That is important, and US is doing well in the recent stats. So for planning purposes this is very good. However, I understand that schedule times have been increased and are longer than the competition flying the same equipment at the same time, if that is true this bad. Since I don't know all the facts. Score EVEN

Fares. All airlines have 'city pairs'that are expensive and US is no exception. US appears to be competitive in most markets, however US Airways fare rules appear to be more restrictive for fares other than refundable fares. This is more opinion that fact. Score EVEN

Baggage Fees. Charging for baggage should NOT be additional on the more expensive fares for the first bag checked. The second bag fee makes sense since you are not in the fright business. Charging the business traveler extra means extra work for them to get the fee reimbursed. Score NEGATIVE it should be free to Y fares without status.

Change fees for Non-Refundable tickets. I never really understood why 'non-refundable' tickets could be changed. I agree with the fee. I do like SW policy better of giving you credit for the ticket and you pay the new fare, usually full fare. Score EVEN

High dollar, short flights. I have flown on 250 mile flights with fares in the $500.00 range. That is about $2.00 per mile, well above break even. US now only awards you the actual miles flown, and no elite bonus, coming soon. Most other airlines award you a 500 mile minimum for the flight and elite bonus. Score NEGATIVE.

Charging for Snacks and Beverages. Some other airlines do charge for snacks, and I don't know of another airline that charges for soft drinks. I think this is a crazy policy since this will be more work for the flight attendants, cleaners, etc because you are not in control of the offerings. Popcorn, for example, can make a real mess in the plane. If that happens, either the plane does not get cleaned, or takes a delay in cleaning the plane. Either option is not good customer service. Are you going to charge for ice and a cup if someone wants to cool down the beverage they brought on board? Score NEGITIVE

Clean Planes. While cleaner than before, they are still not industry leading in appearance. Score EVEN to NEGATIVE.

Choice Seats. While you are not the only airline charging this fee, and as an elite member I believe it is free. I just don't get the fee and possible complications associated with charging the fee. Score EVEN

MEALS. I can't remember the last time I was on a US flight that had a meal (due to length or flight time), so it is hard to comment. However, I do now other airlines have a shorter flight time criteria than US for serving a meal, and at least one carrier still serves a meal in coach. Score EVEN to NEGATIVE

In-flight entertainment. This does not mater to me. Score EVEN to PLUS If I used it.

Appreciation for my business. I had be a CP since the program started in 1999 until the end of 2007. During that time I received many benefits for my loyalty. In 2006 I flew over 120 segments, in 2007 I flew 61 segments, 2008 I have flown hardly any flight on US. At another airline when I dropped from gold to silver one year they wrote to me and asked me if they did something wrong, and if they could do something to gain my business back. Nothing like that has happened at the 'new'￾ US Airways. Score BAD MANAGEMENT.

Quickness in responding to a complaint or comment. Currently (Feb 2008) only takes days at US, rather than weeks as it did last year. However, I e-mailed a complaint to another airline two weeks ago, and received a well researched response within hours. At US when the response comes, it is usually a 'canned' response that does not answer the entire question, often with spelling and grammar errors. Score NEGATIVE.

Club Membership. The fee has risen from past years (as others.) However, many clubs have been closed, you pay extra for partners club, tired furniture in many clubs, and not all of the clubs have free wireless, pay for adult beverages. Score NEGATIVE

Lost baggage. I rarely check a bag, but I read the DOT scores. One time I did check a bag and it was delayed on Sat night. On Sun since I had heard nothing from US, and I was at the airport, flying out, I checked with the baggage office. The agent told me it was still in SEA. I told him he better check his info since it was on the floor next to me. I still took 2 days and many phone calls to get the bag delivered to my home Score NEGATIVE

As you can see, US Airways did not score well in the value arena as compared to your competition. I was planning to use US more when I move to CHS this summer where the airline I believe is the #2 carrier; however this current evaluation has made me rethink my decision. Despite changing times and US Airways move to a 'pay-for-what-you-use' model, I wish you success in the future. However, if you look closely at my criteria above you will see I am not looking for something for free I just want value for the dollars spent. This new direction does not differentiate the different service levels between a loss leader fare and a full Y fare. Air Canada's structure does inform you of service levels of the different fare categories, and lets you make an informed decision at purchase time.

Sincerely,

James C. Single
Very Frequent Flier
DM#13xxxxx

hope you used spell check and grammar tools before you sent this...honestly....
i wouldn't even bother writing it and sending it. it won't change a thing. it is what it is. by the way. spirit airlines charges $3 for soft drinks,water,and coffee. $5 for alcohol ,$7 dollars if you mix your drinks .$10 for a double. $4 for a bag of combos, and nuts. $3 for a bag of m&m's,and a snack pack. $2 for a otis spunkmeyer muffin,animal crackers,and a small tube of pringles. last $4 for people magazine.
they also have value meals. $5 for m&m's and a soda. $7 for wine and a snack pack. $3 for coffee or tea with a muffin . 3 beers for $12 and 4 beers for $15 a $5 savings.

i wouldn't even bother writing it and sending it. it won't change a thing. it is what it is. by the way. spirit airlines charges $3 for soft drinks,water,and coffee. $5 for alcohol ,$7 dollars if you mix your drinks .$10 for a double. $4 for a bag of combos, and nuts. $3 for a bag of m&m's,and a snack pack. $2 for a otis spunkmeyer muffin,animal crackers,and a small tube of pringles. last $4 for people magazine.
they also have value meals. $5 for m&m's and a soda. $7 for wine and a snack pack. $3 for coffee or tea with a muffin . 3 beers for $12 and 4 beers for $15 a $5 savings.

I concur , this won’t change anything , but we at us airways thank you for your interest in our airline and hope that you’ll always keep us in mind when you travel ..

While I’m not a company representative , I think I can go out on a limb here and let you know that our management at this company has most likely thought through the new changes and done a pros/cons or revue/loss type of run through on the new changes and their most likely profit makers on the whole ….

Please continue to send any ideas you have to us though, I’m sure our representatives in our customer service department enjoy getting feed back that can help us improve our airline! :up:

Dude... Nobody here get's your references Bob...

But I'm glad that ancient lit degree is really paying off for you.

What is it you said you did at the airline again?

CMOOON, Robert!

Lighten up bro. Seems as if every post, you have to come in and prove something.

Have a sense of humor!

Sorry about your ol man, but it's never too late to go back to College if that is what you desire!

While I’m not a company representative,
I think that comment alone qualifies you for the looney bin.

Note: every employee is a "company representative". It is right there in the company policy manual. Too much kool-aide blurs the vision. You, sir, are a case in point.

Latest posts