Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Charlotte airport is
nation's fastest growing
US Airways' growth, lower fares bring 9,300 additional passengers a day
STEVE HARRISON
[email protected]
Fueled by cutbacks at other hubs and growth in local passenger traffic, Charlotte/Douglas International Airport has become the fastest-growing major airport in the country.

As recently as a year ago, passenger traffic was stagnant as US Airways, Charlotte's dominant carrier, had reduced flights after its merger with America West. But now US Airways and other airlines are growing rapidly, and the airport handled 9,300 additional passengers a day on average in the past six months.

"Booming is an understatement," said aviation director Jerry Orr, who added that he hasn't seen passenger traffic grow this much in his three decades at the airport.

The airport began adding passengers rapidly in the fall.

In the six months ending in February, the airport handled 1.7 million additional passengers -- a growth rate of 13 percent compared with the same period ending in February 2006. In that time, the only other American airport that added more passengers was New York's Kennedy Airport (2.1 million passengers), although it grew at a slower rate (11.2 percent).

In the aftermath of the US Airways-America West merger in the fall of 2005, the new airline grounded more than 60 planes in an effort to make its supply of seats better match demand. That reduced the number of seats out of Charlotte.

But at the same time, the new US Airways management reduced fares from Charlotte, which had historically been one of the nation's most expensive airports. The lower fares attracted more local passengers to fly from Charlotte rather than driving to Greensboro or Greenville-Spartanburg. In addition, passengers from those cities began driving to Charlotte in search of a deal as fares increased, especially from Greensboro's Piedmont-Triad International Airport.

In the third quarter of 2006, local boardings increased by 16.5 percent over the same quarter in 2005. In the fourth quarter, they were up 14.6 percent over the same quarter a year earlier.

Millard Bell, who works for PrimeFlight Aviation Service, monitors traffic and writes tickets at Charlotte/Douglas in the arrivals area.

"It usually takes a month to finish writing a book of 25 tickets," Bell said Tuesday. "Now it's taking me only two weeks."

US Airways is bringing 49 new ticket and gate agents to Charlotte -- an increase of more than 10 percent -- to expedite long lines in the terminal and at gates.

Meanwhile, Delta reduced capacity in Atlanta, its biggest hub. That has driven up prices in Atlanta and so pushed more connecting passengers to Charlotte, US Airways President Scott Kirby believes.

US Airways has slowly added flights in Charlotte. It has added an additional daily flight to Phoenix and Las Vegas, and increased service to Florida this spring.

US Airways is slated to have about 52,000 daily seats out of Charlotte this summer, an increase from about 48,000 a year ago.

The growth has made Orr reconsider long-term airport expansion plans, which already include a new 9,000 foot runway, the airport's fourth. The airport is building six new gates onto one wing of Concourse E, which is used by US Airways Express. Orr recently decided to build an additional two gates, with construction starting this summer.

In the fall, the airport will begin building a 12-gate extension to the other wing of Concourse E.

Orr also has been considering building a new concourse on the site of rental car lots, north of Concourse A. Though there are no firm plans yet, the recent traffic growth could fast-track those plans, Orr said.

"I think it will come up sooner," Orr said.

The problem, Orr said, is it would be difficult to give up the space occupied by rental cars. Orr said he has considered demolishing the hourly parking garages closest to the terminal and replacing them with larger garages. Those garages would include space for rental cars.

1,500 parking spaces removed from daily lot and replaced with two 3500 space decks, already one deck is full and the other deck is half open with most spaces full. Airport is now going to put another deck on Wilkinson & Harlee Rds, it is supposed to expandable with plans to run west towards Little Rock Rd. Initial plans call for ticket counters and skycap service available if and when the whole deck is complete.

Charlotte airport is
nation's fastest growing

US Airways is slated to have about 52,000 daily seats out of Charlotte this summer, an increase from about 48,000 a year ago.

sky high states: Anyone know what the wait times are for airport security in CLT? Shouldnt the company be proactive and seek additional security lines (somehow) to meet the additional demand? Is it needed?

only stating opinions

Now do you really think that Usairways is looking out for people? :lol: The just want you on the plane. They really couldn't care how or when you get to the airport. As for the big jump in traffic at CLT I was just thinking to myself walking from one gate to another how crowded it is. That place has been packed beyond belief lately. I guess it's a case of if you put the flights there they will come. Hmmmm I wonder why that didn't work somewhere else? ;)

1,500 parking spaces removed from daily lot and replaced with two 3500 space decks, already one deck is full and the other deck is half open with most spaces full. Airport is now going to put another deck on Wilkinson & Harlee Rds, it is supposed to expandable with plans to run west towards Little Rock Rd. Initial plans call for ticket counters and skycap service available if and when the whole deck is complete.
I'm hoping they include a CMPD substation there too. Now it's nothing to compare if they put a new parking deck in PHL along Island or Bartram, but I wouldn't be overly comfy flying back late one night walking the deck to my car there.

I'm hoping they include a CMPD substation there too. Not it's nothing to compare if they put a new parking deck in PHL along Island or Bartram, but I wouldn't be overly comfy flying back late one night walking the deck to my car there.
They are extending the Runway in PHL there, 17/35. I just want to know where are they going to move all those spaces. Not that I park there too often, but its always full.

I'm hoping they include a CMPD substation there too. Now it's nothing to compare if they put a new parking deck in PHL along Island or Bartram, but I wouldn't be overly comfy flying back late one night walking the deck to my car there.
Who knows if CMPD will ever take over the airport, they did have control years ago. The current Capt of airport police is CMPD, but your right, they need to have some type of way of keeping tabs on a facility that far from the terminal.

I would also like to see a CMPD sub station at CLT. Was just talking the other day to one of leo friends there & his opinion was the airport police are a couple years away from be CMPD. In other words he doesn't think it will happen as long as a certain airport manager is there.

I would also like to see a CMPD sub station at CLT. Was just talking the other day to one of leo friends there & his opinion was the airport police are a couple years away from be CMPD. In other words he doesn't think it will happen as long as a certain airport manager is there.
Now Now Coach....your not talking about that certain bushy eyed browed guy that got beat up in school everyday :wacko:

The growth in Charlotte should NOT surprise anyone. As a MAJOR Banking Center, the business people will always have a need to travel (if for any reason to count their money :) ). As far as the general public, CLT is pretty easy to navigate and connex flights are not an issue. Weather usually doesn't impact the operation and for our Western commrades, you will find the operation a COMPLIMENT to the PHX Hub. Along with the good you get a clusterf*ck called Phillie :lol: (You will plan your trips and itineraries accordingly).

I love CLT. When I lived in Greenville, SC (10 min drive from GSP), I always flew out of CLT. The 1.5 hour drive was well worth the lower fares, cheaper parking, shorter morning security lines, and a lack of employees with that small-town piggish attitude, the likes of which are easily found at GSP.

In all fairness and certainly better than Philly the Charlotte airport has been seeing it's fair share of snarls when it comes to taxi time and number in line for takeoff. Have also had slowdowns into CLT due to "flow". That CLT airport though packing the folks in and pumping them out is a rather cramped terminal. I sure hope they expand it a bit. I'd take the CLT connecting experience anyday over PHL as a passenger. As a flight crew member though, sitting in the CLT airport for 2.5 to 3.5 hours once or even twice in a day is a bit much. They need new food choices and more rocking chairs. Oh yeah, how about Philly and the rocking chairs. Ummm a rocking chair doesn't make ya CLT. :lol:

Latest posts