jetmechline

Aug 22, 2002
Charlotte Observer

Posted on Sat, Jan. 10, 2004
Chairman: US Airways may avoid asset sales
Union leaders say they're willing to talk about plans for recovery
TED REED
Staff Writer

Despite hiring an investment bank to gauge interest in US Airways' assets, the airline's chairman says it may not have to sell any assets if it can get costs in line.

"If changes can help get our costs down, then obviously that's where you want to be," said David Bronner, chief executive of Retirement Systems of Alabama, principal owner of US Airways, said in an interview Friday. "If you can get into a profitable situation, then the whole game changes."

Meanwhile, leaders of the airline's principal unions say they are willing to talk with the airline about its new recovery plan. Combined with Bronner's assertion that he, too, wants to talk, the union leaders' positions appear to clear the way for a new round of labor talks at the airline.

The union leaders insist they have no interest in more concessions, but some would talk about scheduling changes or union-proposed cost-saving measures. The airline has said it prefers work-rule improvements rather than salary cuts.

No talks had been scheduled as of late Friday. Bronner said he needs to know what cost-cutting measure are available, from the union and the airline, before a February board meeting. There he intends to lay out options ranging from cost reduction to asset sales. The airline would not disclose the meeting's date.

The potential reopening of talks comes as US Airways enters a critical year just nine months after emerging from bankruptcy court protection. It faces mounting low-fare competition and a need to meet covenants associated with a $900 million government loan.

Sources say US Airways has engaged Morgan Stanley to explore the sale of assets, including the shuttle between New York, Boston and Washington, as well gate leases at its hub airports.

US Airways, which has its largest hub in Charlotte, has lost $4.5 billion since 2001. Its problems will worsen May 9 when low-fare king Southwest Airlines begins service to its Philadelphia hub.

Bronner said he wants to prepare for that event.

"I'm not going to sit here and bleed to death," he said. "I'm not going into the spring knowing I have a war on my hands, and already dripping blood. With Southwest or Jet Blue or any other low-cost carrier, you want to be able to have money in the bank and hold your position."

Bronner said he is concerned about meeting covenants associated with a $900 million loan in 2002 from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board, established by Congress to assist troubled airlines after the Sept. 11 attacks. Among the covenants required as of June 30, according to a report released Friday by Standard & Poor's are these:

• The airline must have a minimum cash level of $1 billion.

• Cash flow must be equivalent to fixed charges, indicating break-even operation.

• The ratio of debt to cash flow must be at least 7.5, far above the level that would support a loan from a commercial bank...........................................

What good is having the one billion dollars in cash in the bank if you can't spend it? If the current total cash available now is $1.3 million they really only have $300 million to work with.

Jay

JayBrian said:
What good is having the one billion dollars in cash in the bank if you can't spend it? If the current total cash available now is $1.3 million they really only have $300 million to work with.

Jay
Any airline that took a federal loan has to have at least 1 billion banked as part of the covenant.

US just happens to be near the bottom when it comes to money in the bank. American has about $3.2 billion.

of course us would have more money had the idiots of ccy done the right thing from day one. another thing they could do is actually fix the baggage delivery syste. that is a very high pricy thing

:down: What a shock we may not have to sell off the airline (liquidate) if the unions negotiate (give more back). Kiss off Dave, try selling more tickets and cutting the number of VPs first.

I heard a rumor today that if dave bronner doesnt get his way with more concessions from the employees by the feb. board meeting, then he will begin the liquidation process. can anyone elaborate and if true how long will it take for the airline to be grounded for good?

robbedagain said:
I heard a rumor today that if dave bronner doesnt get his way with more concessions from the employees by the feb. board meeting, then he will begin the liquidation process. can anyone elaborate and if true how long will it take for the airline to be grounded for good?
I don't think he can pay the ATSB and recoup enough with the existing assets. At the current market cap, it's not even close.

ClueByFour said:
I don't think he can pay the ATSB and recoup enough with the existing assets. At the current market cap, it's not even close.
I really had not considered such a posibility...of him actually starting to sell off parts with the intention of tanking the whole operation. It just does not seem like it would work. Why would any other party buy such assets when they smell blood in the water, and might get them cheaper months later? Also, once the employees get wind of it, for real, who is really going to show up for work? U seems to have very little in the way hard assets. As it has been pointed out here time and time again....it is the operation and the PEOPLE that generate the cash...even now in these stressfull times, the operation (and I know, PHL!) seems to be reasonably humming along. I have "observed" (is that a safe way to say it now since none of us can actually work for the company and post) that even at stations like PHL, the understaffed people are doing the BEST they can. Delays are happening, airplanes are not being met on time, but when they ARE met it is by an overworked professional, at wits end, trying to get by and do his/her job in an understaffed situation. I don't know about the ramp, but maybe the same situation exists.. Aside, could someone exlpain to me what say the Govt./ATSB would have. Are they not part "owners" of this operation? Did they not get something in return for backing the loans? Thanks in advance....an observer.

the unions have to give back about 20 to 23% or there is going to be big problems
the magic number in all reality is 500 million any short of that is just a bigger
bandage.

Latest posts