Charlotte would be new Delta’s No. 3 hub

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Charlotte would be new Delta’s No. 3 hub
Steve Harrison

US Airways plans to meet this week with Delta Air Lines executives and the airline’s unsecured creditors committee this week to discuss US Airways’s hostile takeover bid, an airline executive said today in Charlotte.

US Airways two weeks ago launched a hostile takeover bid of Delta, which is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Delta has said it doesn’t want a merger, but US Airways is targeting Delta’s creditors, who must approve Delta’s plan to come out of bankruptcy.

US Airways senior vice president Elise Eberwein said this morning that the airline is scheduled to meet with Delta and its creditors this week.

Eberwein, president Scott Kirby and other executives were in Charlotte Tuesday to drum up support for the merger, which would create the nation’s largest airline.

Charlotte will remain a “major hub†if US Airways and Delta merge because of the region’s lucrative business passengers, US Airways executives said during their first stop in Charlotte since the takeover attempt was announced two weeks ago.

The prospect of US Airways and Delta merging has raised questions about whether Charlotte/Douglas International Airport would remain a hub because Delta’s largest hub is less than 45 minutes flying time away, in Atlanta.

US Airways president Scott Kirby said Charlotte would be the “new Delta’s†third-largest hub – smaller than Atlanta and Philadelphia and larger than Cincinatti. Charlotte today is US Airways largest hub, slightly bigger than Philadelphia, its second-largest.

“Charlotte is a luge local market for us,†Kirby said. “It’s a banking center, and there is a lot of local demand. It’s not like Pittsburgh. Charlotte has a larger local market.â€

The greater Charlotte area has 2.1 million people, making it smaller than areas such as Pittsburgh and St. Louis, which were once large hubs before airlines slashed service. But Kirby said Charlotte is a key market because its business travelers are willing to pay for non-stop flights to cities in California and along the east coast.

“The amount of traffic at an airport is less important than the revenue,†Kirby said. “And Charlotte is disproportionately a business market.â€

Kirby said that on flights to New York City and other business centers, half of the seats are filled by passengers beginning or ending their trips in Charlotte.

US Airways announced on Nov. 15 a plan to take over Delta and keep that airline’s name. Delta management is fighting the plan, though US Airways is pitching the deal to the airline’s creditors, who must approve any Delta plan to come out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

US Airways said the biggest benefit to the new Delta would be its ability to cut capacity, allowing the airline to charge more for flights. The new airline would likely cut about 10 percent of its seats.

Kirby and other US Airways executives were in town today to meet with employees, mayor Pat McCrory and the editorial board of The Charlotte Observer. In a meeting at the newspaper, Kirby laid out his vision of Charlotte’s future in the new airline.

* US Airways has nine “banks†of flights into Charlotte today. A bank is when a group of planes lands, passengers switch planes, and the planes take off again. Some banks could be eliminated, Kirby said.

* There would be less frequent service to nearby cities such as Asheville. Because almost all of the passengers who fly from Charlotte to Asheville are connecting passengers, they could be routed through Atlanta.

* All 120 non-stops destinations would remain, including European flights to Frankfurt and London. But the airline might use smaller planes on some routes, as larger planes are switched to Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, which is more crowded.

Kirby said Atlanta’s congestion works in Charlotte’s favor. Even if the new airline attemped to dismantle the Charlotte hub and move it to Altanta, there wouldn’t be enough capacity there.

“If we closed Charlotte – which were not – you have created a huge void.â€

US Airways plans to meet this week with Delta Air Lines executives and the airline’s unsecured creditors committee to discuss US Airways’s hostile takeover bid.

Wow, that's what they call talking out both sides of the mouth.......

Everything said about the CLT/ATL situation is even more evident then the PHL/PIT situation, but again somehow our boy Kirby makes every excuse in the book why CLT will still work as a hub with ATL only a few hundred miles away while at the same time stating the obvious that PIT has a larger population base then CLT....Funny how all you continue to here is o&d this and o&d that, even as PIT has a bigger population base then CLT, they claim the primary reason PIT is no longer a HUB is the population base is too small!!!

So either they are lying about the PIT situation or they are telling some tall tales about how CLT will look post-merger, to keep the troops in CLT calm and under control.....

I for one think this management team can't be trusted, after all we still need to be cost-neutral, except management!

how all you continue to here is o&d this and o&d that, even as PIT has a bigger population base then CLT, they claim the primary reason PIT is no longer a HUB is the population base is too small!!!

So either they are lying about the PIT situation or they are telling some tall tales about how CLT will look post-merger, to keep the troops in CLT calm and under control.....

It is business not people they are talking about when mentioning O&D.

I think the big reason PIT fell off the world was not the population base, I think it was the fact that over the years more and more businesses moved out of the Pittsburgh area and the business traveler went to and you can't make much money on leisure travelers. Plus the fact the Allegheny County hosed US Airways for years. Charlotte has alot of business travel, mostly from the banking industry!!

how all you continue to here is o&d this and o&d that, even as PIT has a bigger population base then CLT, they claim the primary reason PIT is no longer a HUB is the population base is too small!!!

It is business not people they are talking about when mentioning O&D.
Just remember what Kirby said in this article that CLT will still serve all destinations but many will move to smaller a/c, this is the same thing that happened at PIT, they started moving mainline to express, and it becomes a slow death....Many duplicate flights will simply disappear...PIT still flies to many of the old destinations that were once served by mainline, they just happen to be express worked by express employees at much lower wages....

This merger will not be good for CLT, you can bet on it.

* US Airways has nine “banksâ€￾ of flights into Charlotte today. A bank is when a group of planes lands, passengers switch planes, and the planes take off again. Some banks could be eliminated, Kirby said.

This has been done in CLT before and at that time jobs were cut. Full time employees were put back to part time and the lowest senority were furloughed. After adding banks back, we finally got back to somewhat normal shifts other than the part time shift gaps that left everyone short handed. IMO this will happen again in CLT.

Plus the fact the Allegheny County hosed US Airways for years.

HUH? I think Allegheny County HOUSED USAirways while USAirways HOSED Allegheny County. I think you have your verbage confused.

CLT will shrink. Count on it. Those reason's for CLT being a major hub that are listed in that article are crap and we all know it.

HUH? I think Allegheny County HOUSED USAirways while USAirways HOSED Allegheny County. I think you have your verbage confused.
CLT will shrink. Count on it. Those reason's for CLT being a major hub that are listed in that article are crap and we all know it.
Yup, all true, probably. If you want a secure job and plan on remaining in the same city/base/station forever, pick another profession. Many of us have learned that the hard way. Nothing will surprise me at this point....

trvlr64..Go do a little research and see what the cost was per each pax at PIT against other stations, I think you'll be shocked! I believe I read it was somewhere aroung 9 to 10 dollars per pax. I think CLT is 3 something! Hosed is the correst verbage, maybe even f'n hosed!! Allegheny County NEVER was easy on businesses as far as corporate taxes and tax breaks! Everyone moves out, that's why the city is or very near bankrupt. Hey, maybe we can do a hostile takover of the city while we are in a buying mood!! :p

I agree with Kirby (for any of you wondering why Charlotte wouldn't work) that ATL is ALREADY at it's max. If anything ATL will loose flights, but gain seats due to larger aircraft. I predict CLT will keep about the same amount of flights....Just get used to seeing CRJ-900s and a Full E-Concourse

trvlr64..Go do a little research and see what the cost was per each pax at PIT against other stations, I think you'll be shocked! I believe I read it was somewhere aroung 9 to 10 dollars per pax.
Perhaps a little deeper research than just taking the company's statements at face value....

A simple example to explain the cost per pax issue at PIT:

Your car costs 30 cents per mile to operate. Carry 6 people, and it costs 5 cents per person to go a mile. Only carry 3 people and it now costs 10 cents per person to go that same mile. The cost to operate the car didn't go up - it's still 30 cents per mile. You just decided to use your car less efficiently.

As US reduced service at PIT, the number of passengers using PIT dropped. Relatively fixed costs divided by fewer passengers resulted in higher cost per passenger.

Or to put it bluntly, US was solely responsible for the increasing cost per passenger at PIT, yet blamed PIT. Something like you taking your car back to the dealer complaining that it's become twice as expensive to operate in my little example.

What's amazing is the number of people that believed the BS.

Jim