Cheap Airline Explores Passenger Tolerance

People want to pay Greyhound prices, but they want traditional airline service. I'm glad to see that the industry is making a fundamental service shift towards 'you get what you pay for'. If you want point A to B basic, thats all you should pay for and receive. I've said for years that the airlines should not be in the restaraunt business.

Greghound prices deserve Greyhound size seats, Greyhound service (none). Sadly its been the industry itself, after deregulation that has been its own enemy, by trying to one-up the competition in silly ways.....ie.....free upgrades, and frequent flyer miles (thanks Crandell).

Denver, CO

ua767fo said:
Sadly its been the industry itself, after deregulation that has been its own enemy, by trying to one-up the competition in silly ways.....ie.....free upgrades, and frequent flyer miles (thanks Crandell).
Two things:

It's called competition and an open marketplace, something the legacy carriers had the luxury of ignoring until degregulation. Ergo, the silly cost of air travel prior to degregulation.

You might also find it amusing that AAdvantage has been one of the most profitable parts of AA for years. Yes, Virginia, the frequent flyer program actually makes money.

Don't expect to see anything like Ryanair anytime soon in the US. As the article points out, JetBlue has set the bar with its "cheap chic" approach. All of the other carriers - LCCs and legacy carriers, alike - are falling in line with this strategy to one degree or another.

Also, Ryanair seems vulnerable to the likes of a JetBlue clone in Europe. All someone has to do is come along with a few inexpensive perks and just slightly higher ticket prices and they can position themselves as the "cool" alternative to the flying greyhound. Plus, Ryanair is setting themselves up for a real perception problem if they ever have an accident. It's easy to imagine the public and the press saying something like - Well, if they cut corners on everything else, they must have cut corners on safety, too!

USA320Pilot:

Please note for your readers whether your citations require registration. Otherwise, a summary would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this about RyanAir again? This is like the fifth post. I clicked on it thinking it was an article about US Airways crappy business plans.

Repeat posts bore me. I shall dance instead.