Check This Out!

PITbull said:
46 Driver,

We all have the ability to move around in industries and companies..its called the "corporate ladder". The pilots are unique, in that their pay compensation level is dratically reduced by hoping around from airline to airline. But, not necessarily the other groups. Customer service, is customer service in any industry.

I don't know if you have been reading these posts or just gandering, but the main point here, the sure "absolute" is that the American workers are extremely educated and skilled. These are the very folks that can't find jobs. I don't quite know what you mean when you say "you get, what you pay for". That thought goes without saying "across the board", my friend.

There are many many people out there with degrees at the same schools as most of our esteemed mangement, that can't land jobs. But, I bet if you offer them half of what you offer some of OUR senior execs, you would get just as much IF NOT MORE TALENT. And i would wager too, with some people skills.

To imply that the American workers are not as efficent or not as dedicated to their jobs is a slap to America.

You need to get out more often. Been drinking too much kool-aide. Try some "whisky" and clean out your system.
Pibull, U are AWESUM!!! Why arent U the MEC Prez.??? We need someone with guts,smarts and wisdom to know what is right.. BTW< Right On about the Dems..any Union member who votes REPUBLICAN should have their head examined.... Peace and thanks, as always, for fighting for what is right!!! :up:

I didn't say anything bad about American workers, to the contrary, we are very good compared to other places. However, it boils down to cost effectiveness and in some areas - particulary unskilled labor, America is very expensive. Whether that is textile workers in China or computer programmers in India, somebody is doing just as good a job for significantly less money. The lowest bidder wins. And if we start raising tariffs, then other countries do the same. Goodbye agricultural exports as well as other areas. Welcome to the global economy.....

I was talking particulary about pilots and flight attendants when I gave my response about being stuck in the seniority system. Other areas are nowhere near as rigid.

I think that despite most airline pilots belonging to ALPA, the majority (especially those with prior military service) are going to overwhelmingly vote Republican. Count me in for another Florida vote for George W. I ain't votin' for no d@mn Yankee Kerry. (Edwards I would listen to....)

Light Years said:
I've had the misfortune of flying on RyanAir, and it makes Southwest look like the Concorde.

Upon arrival, one of the F/As threw on a reflective vest and walked us to a bus- yes, leaving only two F/As on the plane with the remaining pax... I guess the rules are different there? The bus then dropped us off in the bowels of the airport, where we walked through an underground maze, past a breakroom of smoking employees (this is Europe), and finally up a staircase to the terminal. The entire experience cost less than a dinner at TGI Fridays.
What annoys me most about Ryanair is their not-so-truthful list of destinations that they serve: for example, did you know that they serve Milan, Italy. But do they really? They actually fly to (Orio al Serio airport)! They also apparently serve Frankfurt (Hahn), Hamburg (Lubeck), etc. etc. etc. My favorite had to be when they announced service to Coppenhagen, Denmark, but actually flew into Malmo Sweden!

Being bused from an airplane to the bowels of the terminal is nothing special / unique in Europe. Happens not only at secondary / tertiary airports served by Ryanair but also at 'fancy' ariports such as FRA, VIE, PRG, AMS etc.

FrugalFlyerv2.0,

I know what you mean about them showing service to a major city and actually flying to a smaller airport outside the city. A couple of years we were in the UK and decided to hop over to Paris for a couple of days. Ryan had good fares Manchester-Dublin-Paris ($70 or so each way) so off we went. Land in "Paris" about midnight and have a $10 1-hour bus ride into the real Paris.

Jim

I wish airlines would rip out the recline of coach seats and the window shades on this side of the Atlantic. It would cut out a lot of the bitching from passengers.

I can believe the cost savings on reclining seats. I can recall two flights in the last year where we were delayed because a seat wouldn't stay up, thus violating FAA regulations.